SH 26/39 Unicycle

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by oxfordrider, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. oxfordrider

    oxfordrider Guest

    Tags:

  2. Bad timing. Mike Scalisi is the guy who won, and he's currently at
    Burning Man. He won't be back for a few more days. I can tell you what
    he's told me, though. He really likes it, and plans to spend a year just
    getting used to riding it, and then he said he might make it into a
    blueshifted coker. He said that it's not the strongest hub in the world
    so you really have to stay on somewhat smoothe roads with
    it(translation: no trials/muni riders on it, as hopping won't be good).
    Also, the next time I get to ride it I'll give a slightly better writeup
    if you want. Try re-posting this thread in like 3 or four days.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
    to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
    Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

  3. oxfordrider

    oxfordrider Guest

  4. mscalisi

    mscalisi Guest

    Do I like it? Of course, I LOVE IT. I will do a write up at some point,
    but I am currently strapped for time. I intend to bring it to the Cal
    Muni Weekend for those who want to try it.

    I will tell you this however:

    The first week I got it, it was the only unicycle I rode. It's a bit
    twitchy, but you get used to it after a while. I discovered that it's
    very different than the coker. How different? Well, after riding nothing
    but the 26/39er for a week, I went for a coker ride with Scot Cooper. I
    wound up doing a face-plant while trying to mount the coker. On a VERY
    busy street. It was QUITE embarassing.

    I do like the geared uni for commuting to work. A train (BART) will take
    me within' 5 miles of my job. It's much more convenient to bring a 26er
    on the train than a coker. The other thing that's nice about it is that
    you can make a much sharper turn on a 26" hookworm than a 36" coker
    tire.

    Riding the 26/39er has yet to bring me to the zen-like state that I
    feel on the coker, however.

    I am contemplating tranforming it into a 36/54er sometime in the future
    (at least a year out). I wish I could ride Kris's first to see what
    it's like.

    Mike

    --
    mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

  5. unisk8r

    unisk8r Guest

    Mike, what's the biggest con to this geared hub? Is there any slack in
    the apparatus?
    What crank length are you using?
    And what speeds have you had it up to? 12? 14? 16?

    --
    unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

  6. mscalisi

    mscalisi Guest

    I think the biggest con is that it's a little squirrly to ride. You
    always need to be a bit more focused. When you UPD, you hit the ground
    very fast.

    There is some slack, but I don't think if affects the riding in a big
    way. The nature of the beast is that it's generally going forward. It
    doesn't lend itself to idling or other skills other than riding
    forward.

    Currently it has 165's on it. The extra length is nice and I don't have
    plans for shorter cranks at this point.

    I don't have a cycle computer on it, so I don't know exactly what speeds
    I'm doing. Because it's a little squirrly, I don't really push it as
    hard as I push my coker. I'd guess 14 is probably fastest I've ridden.

    unisk8r wrote:
    > *Mike, what's the biggest con to this geared hub? Is there any slack
    > in the apparatus?
    > What crank length are you using?
    > And what speeds have you had it up to? 12? 14? 16? *

    --
    mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
    mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

  7. unisk8r

    unisk8r Guest

    Thanks for the info! Always nice to hear from someone riding a geared
    hub. Progress is inevitable, and I firmly believe we'll have some
    choices in that department within a few years.

    --
    unisk8r - All this for just cross-training?
    unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

  8. willfcc

    willfcc Guest

  9. unisk8r

    unisk8r Guest

    yup, saw that earlier... i meant choices in addition to the Schlumpf,
    which appears will be the first obtainable production fixed-gear hub
    suitable for unis.
    i myself am working on a prototype chain-driven uber-coker, with the
    cranks on the same axle as the hub. the wheel is all done, and now i'm
    trying to get a custom frame built.

    --

  10. unisk8r wrote:
    > *i myself am working on a prototype chain-driven uber-coker, with the
    > cranks on the same axle as the hub. the wheel is all done, and now
    > i'm trying to get a custom frame built. *

    Been There Done That:eek: (Not literally). I warn you, although you
    probably know already that you're not the first person to try this, it
    doesn't work. Chains have too much inherent slack in them, and the
    shifters and chain tensioners are too difficult to design. I drew up
    some rough sketch for a 21 speed 24" uni that runs on the same principle
    as you seem to be doing. I had about 7 different ideas for how to
    develop and build a shifter/chain tensioner. After talking to Scott
    Wallis and some other people I noticed it wouldn't work due to the slack
    of chains and gave up. Did you design and build a custom hub, because
    normal uni or bike hubs don't work. Also, please, make me eat my words.
    I really want to see a uni of this design work, becuase it'd rock.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
    to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
    Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

  11. unisk8r

    unisk8r Guest

    This one's gonna rock alright...think 1 wheeled track bike with a narrow
    jackshaft 5" off the axle to run a 2nd chain back down to the track hub,
    which will rotate faster than the axle itself. The design is so simple,
    yet the hard part has been fabricating the parts. I'll report more
    after I've taken that all-important first UPD!