SH520 pedals - Shimano says only SH51 cleats

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by ccc rider, Oct 8, 2004.

  1. ccc rider

    ccc rider Guest

    Hi

    Just got hold of a pair of SH520 pedals. Being a clipless pedal
    beginner, I also got some SH55 multi-release cleats ...

    .... and then I read the warnings: these pedals should *only* be used
    with single-release cleats (i.e. SH51) and SH52/55 don't provide
    "sufficient holding force".

    Any advice/experience would be appreciated (including, if this is
    really serious, which pedals are OK with multi-release cleats?).

    Cheers everyone

    cccrider

    Tags:

  2. > Just got hold of a pair of SH520 pedals. Being a clipless pedal
    > beginner, I also got some SH55 multi-release cleats ...
    >
    > ... and then I read the warnings: these pedals should *only* be used
    > with single-release cleats (i.e. SH51) and SH52/55 don't provide
    > "sufficient holding force".
    >
    > Any advice/experience would be appreciated (including, if this is
    > really serious, which pedals are OK with multi-release cleats?).

    There are a small number of advocates for the SH55 cleat, but, for the most
    part, our shop considers them very dangerous. We've had many people
    unintentionally release from them; the problem is particularly evident when
    climbing

    An absolute beginner, with properly set-up cleats/shoes & pedals, should
    have very little problem with the stock cleats. The tension can be set very
    low, so even an extremely lightweight rider should be able to get into and
    out of them very predictably, and at-will.

    Keep the pedals (which are fantastic, with several improvements over the
    older versions, most notably a tension adjustment screw that's "captured" so
    you can unscrew it too far and ruin your pedal), ditch the cleats. Or at
    least *try* the SH51 cleats. I think the problems you're worrying about
    won't exist.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "ccc rider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi
    >
    > Just got hold of a pair of SH520 pedals. Being a clipless pedal
    > beginner, I also got some SH55 multi-release cleats ...
    >
    > ... and then I read the warnings: these pedals should *only* be used
    > with single-release cleats (i.e. SH51) and SH52/55 don't provide
    > "sufficient holding force".
    >
    > Any advice/experience would be appreciated (including, if this is
    > really serious, which pedals are OK with multi-release cleats?).
    >
    > Cheers everyone
    >
    > cccrider

  3. Kinky Cowboy

    Kinky Cowboy Guest

    On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 16:23:31 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Just got hold of a pair of SH520 pedals. Being a clipless pedal
    >> beginner, I also got some SH55 multi-release cleats ...
    >>
    >> ... and then I read the warnings: these pedals should *only* be used
    >> with single-release cleats (i.e. SH51) and SH52/55 don't provide
    >> "sufficient holding force".
    >>
    >> Any advice/experience would be appreciated (including, if this is
    >> really serious, which pedals are OK with multi-release cleats?).

    >There are a small number of advocates for the SH55 cleat, but, for the most
    >part, our shop considers them very dangerous. We've had many people
    >unintentionally release from them; the problem is particularly evident when
    >climbing
    >
    >--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    >www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    The SH55 cleats work well with the pedals for which they are designed,
    i.e. M424, 434, 515 etc. I wouldn't consider them dangerous when used
    as recommended; I get no more unintentional releases with SH55/M515
    than I do with SH51/M959. The "prohibited" SH55/M959 combination is
    prone to unintentional release, though I wouldn't describe it as
    dangerous for my riding style, just annoying. Perhaps I'm just riding
    gently because this combination only occurs when I'm riding my summer
    bike in my winter shoes.

    Intentional release with correct combinations is easy anyway; as the
    M520 is modelled on the M959, I'd guess that nobody should have any
    problem getting out of them with SH51 cleats.

    The short answer is, Shimano have been making SPDs for a while now and
    pretty much know what they're doing, so follow the instructions.

    Kinky Cowboy*

    *Batteries not included
    May contain traces of nuts
    Your milage may vary

  4. ccc rider

    ccc rider Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Just got hold of a pair of SH520 pedals. Being a clipless pedal
    > > beginner, I also got some SH55 multi-release cleats ...
    > >
    > > ... and then I read the warnings: these pedals should *only* be used
    > > with single-release cleats (i.e. SH51) and SH52/55 don't provide
    > > "sufficient holding force".
    > >
    > > Any advice/experience would be appreciated (including, if this is
    > > really serious, which pedals are OK with multi-release cleats?).

    > There are a small number of advocates for the SH55 cleat, but, for the most
    > part, our shop considers them very dangerous. We've had many people
    > unintentionally release from them; the problem is particularly evident when
    > climbing
    >
    > An absolute beginner, with properly set-up cleats/shoes & pedals, should
    > have very little problem with the stock cleats. The tension can be set very
    > low, so even an extremely lightweight rider should be able to get into and
    > out of them very predictably, and at-will.
    >
    > Keep the pedals (which are fantastic, with several improvements over the
    > older versions, most notably a tension adjustment screw that's "captured" so
    > you can unscrew it too far and ruin your pedal), ditch the cleats. Or at
    > least *try* the SH51 cleats. I think the problems you're worrying about
    > won't exist.

    Hi Mike

    Thanks for the reassurance and advice: I think I had been reading too
    many stories about single-release! I'll find someone to pass the SH55
    cleats to. I didn't realise that certain cleats were just for certain
    pedals when I bought the SH55/M520 combination. Now ... I've just got
    to try and get my original pedals off (3rd attempt now) and I'll start
    using them!!

    Cheers

    cccrider

  5. SuperSlinky

    SuperSlinky Guest

    ccc rider said...

    > Hi Mike
    >
    > Thanks for the reassurance and advice: I think I had been reading too
    > many stories about single-release! I'll find someone to pass the SH55
    > cleats to. I didn't realise that certain cleats were just for certain
    > pedals when I bought the SH55/M520 combination. Now ... I've just got
    > to try and get my original pedals off (3rd attempt now) and I'll start
    > using them!!
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > cccrider

    I believe this came up in alt.mountain-bike, and it was heard from
    reliable sources (like a Shimano rep or something) that the SH55 can be
    used with the new style pedals if that is what you want.