shady trek dealings

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ryan Fisher, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Ryan Fisher

    Ryan Fisher Guest

    just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in case you were thinking about
    purchasing one of their carbon frames.

    It seems that even if you have been a trek dealer for 6 years, and buy their top end bike (5900),
    which supposedly has a lifetime warranty, and never crash the bike, they will still not warranty the
    frame if it develops a crack. apparently the drive side chainstay, approx 4" from the BB, is "not a
    high stress part of the frame." so if it cracks there, chances are you either "stepped on the bike,"
    or "picked up a stick or something on a ride which cracked the frame." it seems that in the course
    of normal riding a magical stick can be unnoticably kicked up from the road with enough force to
    snap a chainstay, while somehow not damaging the wheels, or getting caught up in the drivetrain.

    Even though they wont warranty the frame, the nice folks at trek will be happy to charge you
    to repair it (plus shipping no less) so you can be back on the road and riding in only 4-6
    weeks. awesome.

    I am now riding a Specialized frame (allez pro) which i have been more than pleased with thus far,
    and from recent experiences through the shop, specialized will indeed warranty a cracked driveside
    chainstay, and have a frame for you within a week. word.

    In conclusion if anyone wants to buy a newly repaired trek 5900 frame/fork (56 cm) in 4-6 weeks,
    drop me a line or look for it on ebay because i will never ride (or sell) another one of their bikes
    again. thank you and have a nice day.

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    "Ryan Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in
    case
    > you were thinking about purchasing one of their carbon frames.

    (snip)

    So which is it? You started out talking about a crack. You then started talking about a snapped
    chainstay. Trek OCLVs have always gotten insignificant hairline cracks at the lugs. So did your
    crack? or snap?

    I've owned OCLV frames since about 1995. I had one that developed a crack in the wishbone seatstay
    above the rear brake. Trek took the bike back and rebuilt it. I was without the bike for about ten
    days, but it never cost me a cent. Then one day I noticed the rear wheel wasn't straight in the
    frame. Somehow the bike had gotten out of alignment. With absolutely no questions asked, they sent
    me out a brand new US Postal frame. This was back in 1998. So after putting about 30,000 miles on
    the old one, they just up and sent me a new one. Shoot, the old one was rideable and I was able to
    keep using while I waited a week for the new frame to be delivered.

    One of my training buddies developed a problem with his bottom bracket threads about two years ago.
    He worked through the same dealer as I did and he ended up with a brand new frame at no cost to him.

    I understand that a great deal has to do with the local Trek rep you deal with. You may need to
    find another. But I've got to stand up for Trek based on my experience with their warranty. They're
    just awesome.

    Bob C.

  3. Ryan Fisher

    Ryan Fisher Guest

    not at the lug. it was a crack on the inside of the chainstay which (right behind where the big ring
    overlaps), at the time i noticed it went about 180 degrees around from the top to the bottom.

    "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Ryan Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > int2.gatech.edu...
    > > just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in
    > case
    > > you were thinking about purchasing one of their carbon frames.
    > >
    > (snip)
    >
    > So which is it? You started out talking about a crack. You then started talking about a snapped
    > chainstay. Trek OCLVs have always gotten insignificant hairline cracks at the lugs. So did your
    > crack? or snap?
    >
    > I've owned OCLV frames since about 1995. I had one that developed a crack in the wishbone seatstay
    > above the rear brake. Trek took the bike back
    and
    > rebuilt it. I was without the bike for about ten days, but it never cost
    me
    > a cent. Then one day I noticed the rear wheel wasn't straight in the
    frame.
    > Somehow the bike had gotten out of alignment. With absolutely no
    questions
    > asked, they sent me out a brand new US Postal frame. This was back in
    1998.
    > So after putting about 30,000 miles on the old one, they just up and sent
    me
    > a new one. Shoot, the old one was rideable and I was able to keep using while I waited a week for
    > the new frame to be delivered.
    >
    > One of my training buddies developed a problem with his bottom bracket threads about two years
    > ago. He worked through the same dealer as I did
    and
    > he ended up with a brand new frame at no cost to him.
    >
    > I understand that a great deal has to do with the local Trek rep you deal with. You may need to
    > find another. But I've got to stand up for Trek based on my experience with their warranty.
    > They're just awesome.
    >
    > Bob C.

  4. Basil P

    Basil P Guest

    See Below

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:31:19 -0500, "Ryan Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in case you were thinking about
    >purchasing one of their carbon frames.
    >
    >It seems that even if you have been a trek dealer for 6 years, and buy their top end bike (5900),
    >which supposedly has a lifetime warranty, and never crash the bike, they will still not warranty
    >the frame if it develops a crack. apparently the drive side chainstay, approx 4" from the BB, is
    >"not a high stress part of the frame." so if it cracks there, chances are you either "stepped on
    >the bike," or "picked up a stick or something on a ride which cracked the frame." it seems that in
    >the course of normal riding a magical stick can be unnoticably kicked up from the road with enough
    >force to snap a chainstay, while somehow not damaging the wheels, or getting caught up in the
    >drivetrain.
    >
    >Even though they wont warranty the frame, the nice folks at trek will be happy to charge you
    >to repair it (plus shipping no less) so you can be back on the road and riding in only 4-6
    >weeks. awesome.
    >
    >I am now riding a Specialized frame (allez pro) which i have been more than pleased with thus far,
    >and from recent experiences through the shop, specialized will indeed warranty a cracked driveside
    >chainstay, and have a frame for you within a week. word.
    >
    >In conclusion if anyone wants to buy a newly repaired trek 5900 frame/fork (56 cm) in 4-6 weeks,
    >drop me a line or look for it on ebay because i will never ride (or sell) another one of their
    >bikes again. thank you and have a nice day.

    Try a CALFEE. Lighter, stronger, can build you a custom one. Let's see TREK do that one for anyone
    other than Lance! Plus a 25 year warranty.

    Although there frames have only won one Tour de France.

  5. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Basil P wrote:
    > See Below

    Wrong group.

  6. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Ryan,

    Is it a fine, straight line or a jagged one? Usually a jagged one is a true crack and a thin,
    straight one is a cosmetic paint or finish crack. Also, is it growing? If you can continue to ride
    the bike and are doing so, put a couple of dots, one at each end of the crack, with a Sharpie.
    You'll be able to tell if the crack is growing from that. I was sure I had a crack in the headtube
    of my 1998 Postal frame they sent me. Turned out to be just a scratch that I'm guessing I acquired
    courtesy of the transfer trucks at the Assault on Mt. Mitchell.

    But when I actually DID have a crack, it was quite jagged and it grew rather rapidly. (Yes, I was
    stupid enough to continue riding it up 'till the day my LBS sent it off to Trek.)

    I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, but if you're new to owning OCLV, you might not know
    some off these things.

    Bob C.

  7. Ryan Fisher

    Ryan Fisher Guest

    its definately a crack. since when you flex the chainstays you can see it open up.

  8. "Ryan Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in case you were thinking
    > about purchasing one of their carbon frames.
    >
    > It seems that even if you have been a trek dealer for 6 years, and buy their top end bike (5900),
    > which supposedly has a lifetime warranty, and never crash the bike, they will still not warranty
    > the frame if it develops a crack. apparently the drive side chainstay, approx 4" from the BB, is
    > "not a high stress part of the frame." so if it cracks there, chances are you either "stepped on
    > the bike," or "picked up a stick or something on a ride which cracked the frame." it seems that in
    > the course of normal riding a magical stick can be unnoticably kicked up from the road with enough
    > force to snap a chainstay, while somehow not damaging the wheels, or getting caught up in the
    > drivetrain.
    >
    > Even though they wont warranty the frame, the nice folks at trek will be happy to charge you to
    > repair it (plus shipping no less) so you can be back on the road and riding in only 4-6 weeks.
    > awesome.
    >
    > I am now riding a Specialized frame (allez pro) which i have been more than pleased with thus far,
    > and from recent experiences through the shop, specialized will indeed warranty a cracked driveside
    > chainstay, and have a frame for you within a week. word.
    >
    > In conclusion if anyone wants to buy a newly repaired trek 5900 frame/fork (56 cm) in 4-6 weeks,
    > drop me a line or look for it on ebay because i will never ride (or sell) another one of their
    > bikes again. thank you and have a nice day.

    Just as a counterpoint. I asked my roommate about this (he owns a Trek dealership), and he has never
    had any issues or problems getting busted up OCLV frames replaced. Even ones that had been destroyed
    in races and other frames that were in "misuse" situations. Did you try to warranty the frame
    yourself or did you go to your local shop?

    Tom

  9. Basil P <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > See Below
    >
    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:31:19 -0500, "Ryan Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in case you were thinking
    > >about purchasing one of their carbon frames.
    > >
    > >It seems that even if you have been a trek dealer for 6 years, and buy their top end bike (5900),
    > >which supposedly has a lifetime warranty, and never crash the bike, they will still not warranty
    > >the frame if it develops a crack. apparently the drive side chainstay, approx 4" from the BB, is
    > >"not a high stress part of the frame." so if it cracks there, chances are you either "stepped on
    > >the bike," or "picked up a stick or something on a ride which cracked the frame." it seems that
    > >in the course of normal riding a magical stick can be unnoticably kicked up from the road with
    > >enough force to snap a chainstay, while somehow not damaging the wheels, or getting caught up in
    > >the drivetrain.
    > >
    > >Even though they wont warranty the frame, the nice folks at trek will be happy to charge you to
    > >repair it (plus shipping no less) so you can be back on the road and riding in only 4-6 weeks.
    > >awesome.
    > >
    > >I am now riding a Specialized frame (allez pro) which i have been more than pleased with thus
    > >far, and from recent experiences through the shop, specialized will indeed warranty a cracked
    > >driveside chainstay, and have a frame for you within a week. word.
    > >
    > >In conclusion if anyone wants to buy a newly repaired trek 5900 frame/fork (56 cm) in 4-6 weeks,
    > >drop me a line or look for it on ebay because i will never ride (or sell) another one of their
    > >bikes again. thank you and have a nice day.
    > >

    > Try a CALFEE. Lighter, stronger, can build you a custom one. Let's see TREK do that one for anyone
    > other than Lance! Plus a 25 year warranty.
    >
    > Although there frames have only won one Tour de France.

    Lance rides stock frames.

  10. Fastrack

    Fastrack Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in case you were thinking about
    >purchasing one of their carbon frames.
    >
    >It seems that even if you have been a trek dealer for 6 years, and buy their top end bike (5900),
    >which supposedly has a lifetime warranty, and never crash the bike, they will still not warranty
    >the frame if it develops a crack. apparently the drive side chainstay, approx 4" from the BB, is
    >"not a high stress part of the frame." so if it cracks there, chances are you either "stepped on
    >the bike," or "picked up a stick or something on a ride which cracked the frame." it seems that in
    >the course of normal riding a magical stick can be unnoticably kicked up from the road with enough
    >force to snap a chainstay, while somehow not damaging the wheels, or getting caught up in the
    >drivetrain.
    >
    >Even though they wont warranty the frame, the nice folks at trek will be happy to charge you
    >to repair it (plus shipping no less) so you can be back on the road and riding in only 4-6
    >weeks. awesome.
    >
    >I am now riding a Specialized frame (allez pro) which i have been more than pleased with thus far,
    >and from recent experiences through the shop, specialized will indeed warranty a cracked driveside
    >chainstay, and have a frame for you within a week. word.
    >
    >In conclusion if anyone wants to buy a newly repaired trek 5900 frame/fork (56 cm) in 4-6 weeks,
    >drop me a line or look for it on ebay because i will never ride (or sell) another one of their
    >bikes again. thank you and have a nice day.

    They should be more to the story here. Trek has been awesome with their warranty and service.

    ??

    Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210
    775-248-7632 Fax

    www.fastrackbicycles.com

  11. On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:31:19 -0500, "Ryan Fisher"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek

    Please don't post this in rec.bicycles.racing - it's off-topic for this group.

    JT

  12. David

    David Guest

    he works at the local shop.

    david

    news:[email protected]...

  13. Ryan Fisher wrote:

    > which cracked the frame." it seems that in the course of normal riding a magical stick can be
    > unnoticably kicked up from the road with enough force to snap a chainstay, while somehow not
    > damaging the wheels, or getting caught up in the drivetrain.

    Are there any warranty reports from a Texan rider who damaged his Trek 5900 in similar fashion in
    France last summer?

  14. Ryan Fisher

    Ryan Fisher Guest

    > They should be more to the story here. Trek has been awesome with their warranty and service.
    >
    > ??

    exactly. all ive heard form other people is good things about trek warranty etc. which is why i
    wasnt too worried when i noticed the crack. but all the people i talked to in the warranty
    department were complete a-holes and treated me like id ridden the thing off a 30 foot drop or
    someting. I honestly never crashed the bike etc. and have had it for a shade less than 3 years (it
    was bought new). Youd think theyd at least try to please a dealer and not piss them off.

  15. Lindsay

    Lindsay Guest

    On 17 Feb 2004 18:19:35 -0800, [email protected] (Tom Arsenault)
    wrote:

    >Lance rides stock frames.

    They become stock frames after designed for LANCE. At least the 5.9 and the TT frames.

  16. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

    FasTrack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:31:19 -0500, "Ryan Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in case you were thinking
    > >about purchasing one of their carbon frames.

    <snip>

    > They should be more to the story here. Trek has been awesome with their warranty and service.
    >
    > ??
    >

    > Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210 775-248-
    > 7632 Fax
    >

    > www.fastrackbicycles.com

    Dave,

    Couple questions:

    - Does the Trek warranty apply only to the original owner? If so, do you need proof that you are the
    original owner?

    - Would riding the bike on a trainer contribute to the kind of crack this guy's frame had? (been
    wondering if a mag or wind trainer is bad for the rear triangle, and possibly the cause of my
    cracked frame.)

    Mark

    p.s. FWIW, I know of probably 10 people that have had Trek frame problems and, in all cases,
    Trek was very helpful in replacing the frame or repairing the problem. I guess that is both
    good and bad!

  17. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Tom Arsenault wrote:
    > Basil P <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> See Below
    >>

    >> Try a CALFEE. Lighter, stronger, can build you a custom one. Let's see TREK do that one for
    >> anyone other than Lance! Plus a 25 year warranty.
    >>
    >> Although there frames have only won one Tour de France.
    >
    > Lance rides stock frames.

    Exactly. It's not necessary to fine tune custom the frame, unless you have abnormal dimensions.
    Length of the stem and where the seat post contacts the rails make a large contribution to fine
    tuning the position on a stock frame.

  18. Rick Roof

    Rick Roof Guest

    It's about racing bikes isn't it? Where would YOU prefer that he post this?

    > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:31:19 -0500, "Ryan Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek
    >
    > Please don't post this in rec.bicycles.racing - it's off-topic for this group.
    >
    > JT

  19. Dan Connelly

    Dan Connelly Guest

    Rick Roof wrote:
    > It's about racing bikes isn't it? Where would YOU prefer that he post this?

    Right. As John was saying, racing bikes are off-topic (RTFFAQ)

  20. [email protected] (Mark Fennell) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > FasTrack <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:31:19 -0500, "Ryan Fisher" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >just thought id share my recent experiences with Trek with everyone in case you were thinking
    > > >about purchasing one of their carbon frames.
    > > >

    > <snip>
    >

    > > They should be more to the story here. Trek has been awesome with their warranty and service.
    > >
    > > ??
    > >

    > > Dave Lettieri FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210 775-248-
    > > 7632 Fax
    > >

    > > www.fastrackbicycles.com
    >
    > Dave,
    >
    > Couple questions:
    >
    > - Does the Trek warranty apply only to the original owner? If so, do you need proof that you are
    > the original owner?
    >
    > - Would riding the bike on a trainer contribute to the kind of crack this guy's frame had? (been
    > wondering if a mag or wind trainer is bad for the rear triangle, and possibly the cause of my
    > cracked frame.)
    >
    > Mark
    >
    > p.s. FWIW, I know of probably 10 people that have had Trek frame problems and, in all cases, Trek
    > was very helpful in replacing the frame or repairing the problem. I guess that is both good
    > and bad!

    Our squad is sponsored by Trek, and our warantee program...although good - is not of the "no
    questions asked, no fees collected" variety. I'm guessing that since Ryan works at the shop - he
    probably gets a similar deal and has to live with similar warantee limitations (fees for frame
    fixes/paint/replacement).

    I agree with the prior post that there's probably something more to this. Perhaps he has a "history"
    with returning frames, perhaps he has been associated with some bad practices at his shop, perhaps
    his shop is in bad standing as an account, - who knows. I'm guessing he's just using the R.B.R.
    vehicle to try and dirty the air over at Trek.

    Trek: Best bike I've ever ridden - Best folks to work with when there's a problem. Period.

    -a