Shall i swwitch from mountain biking to bmx?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by FenWoFon, Apr 8, 2016.

1. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Member

As the tittle says, it is something that I have been wanting to do since a long ago but I have not had the chance yet because I have not had enough time to think/ask about it but as I am already here, what would you guys recommend me? shall I go ahead and buy a BMX bike? is it recomendable?

Tags:

2. BikeBikeBikeBike

BikeBikeBikeBike Well-Known Member

BMX's are the best bike if you want to learn tricks on. Any MTB and BMX rider is going to agree with me on that one, some professional MTB riders practice tricks on BMX first. Also Pro BMX riders typically do well when they cross over into MTB. Look at Drew Bezanson, really pumped to see what he brings to FMB this year.

BMX typically tend to be cheaper and easier to work on and very sturdy.
    But they are small, with no suspension and are very application specific.
    Riding around town all day on one sucks, getting from one place to another can be unpleasant.

If you have the cash and the space, hey why not! More bikes is always better then less bikes.

MayorDonut likes this.
  3. zipp2001

zipp2001 Well-Known Member

Have to agree with BikeBikeBikeBike ! Why not keep the MTB and also get a BMX. It's a great way to mix up your riding. I have four different category's of bike's a Road, MTB, SS, and TT bike and all are used for different ride experiences. It always fun to switch it up, so if you the resources to pick up a BMX and keep the MTB then that's the way I'd go.

4. MayorDonut

MayorDonut New Member

MTBs are great all-around bikes, and if you're looking to fully replace your MTB with any bike, I do not necessarily recommend replacing it with a BMX. BMXs are a pain for long-distance riding, but I do happen to know a handful of people who absolutely love getting around on BMXs. They're smaller and lighter, making them easily stored and transported. I'd suggest testing a few out first before committing yourself to purchasing one (brand new or secondhand), if you feel that this is something that you want. Secondhand I have seen (and sold) some for as low as $70 with accessories, like extra pedals and lights, which means you likely won't be out too much if you buy used and end up disliking the style of riding required. Let us know what you end up deciding!

5. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

Depends on your reason. I like MTBs but BMXs are cool for short flints or to show off at some event. Also, you're going to have to be very dedicated to get good at riding one. If you're prepared for it and you really want to do it then you can buy one and start training.

6. Reckoneer

Reckoneer New Member

You have to remember the MTB and BMX are two very different sports. Much like 4-cross and DH riding in Mountain Biking, BMX is all about short, intense sprints out of the gate, while a large part of MTB is based on longer distance travel. You can get all the fun of BMX in mountain biking events. Downhill, Dual Slalom, Slope Style, Free Style -- all of these sports are mountain bike based. Think of it as sports with "giant BMX bikes". BMX tends to be trick-friendly too, but everything with BMX is short distance. Short ramps, short tricks, short course, short races. If you like the hustle of very fast action, then BMX might be your gig. But if you are looking to do some of the bigger downhill tricks and/or slope style action, then you're still in mountain bike land my friend! Check out the Colorado Freeride Festival (http://coloradofreeridefestival.com/) -- that is all Mountain Bikes, all the time! I was a BMX rider when I was a kid. But once I bought my first mountain bike, I never looked back! I understand the pull of the BMX culture (skater culture is much like it), but the mountain biker culture is bigger, badder, and includes more stuff! Stay mountain biking -- we have cookies! Cheers!

MayorDonut likes this.
  7. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Member

I will consider your answer for further purchases, I will start saving money for a BMX, I personally love the way you can do tricks with a bike and all that, for real.

8. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

A good BMX is very cool for almost everything even when they are built to be used in urban areas. All terrain, commuting, acrobatics. etc. My parents gave me a bmx when I was a child, and that beauty withstood a child's rough use. Go for it.

AryaSnark likes this.
  9. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

If you got the capita and the time to maintain the BMX, why not right? The more the merrier haha!

10. FenWoFon

FenWoFon Member

I wish my apretns would have given me a BMX years ago.. however they gifted me a cross bike and it was kinda same with the only difference of that the cross bike was kinda heavier and was for cross only.

11. sharkantropo

sharkantropo Member

Cross bike. Those are suitable for irregular rocky terrain and to climb elevations right?

12. erook7878

erook7878 Member

It depends on what you are planning to do with it. It's great for casual riding or for a short commute. Of course it's great if you want to do tricks and stuff. Outside of that, I wouldn't get one if you are just using it for long rides or for riding on trails. They are much harder to pedal/accelerate compared to any mountain or road bike. I rode BMX bikes all through out my childhood.

13. AryaSnark

AryaSnark New Member

Very true! I had a BMX as a child too, it was my first "grown up" bike. I was quite rough with my vehicle, too - when I was in early teens it kept hitting the ground, and yet, after almost 10 years of continiuos use it was still in better shape than my father's own bike (which he drove almost only to a shop and back).

14. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Mountain bike is made more for riding through pavements, grass, and even rocks. BMX is I think more used in trick bike competitions, where they do flips, bunny hops, and even stoppies (but I think you already know that being you have a GTA San Andreas profile photo :D) So if you want a sturdy bike that can withstand anywhere you want to go, choose the mountain bike. If you want to learn tricks and making 360s while flying through the air off a ramp, then go with BMX.

15. whitepines

whitepines New Member

I remember selling my mountain bike for a BMX many, many years ago. I had a Specialized Bighit spec, and ended up with a DK BMX. It was great a first, but I really started to miss the comfort and versatility of the mountain bike. It was much better for all around use. The BMX was way more fun for messing around on and going to skate park to try a few tricks, but I soon grew tired of it. You just couldn't replace the feeling of flying down a mountain through the trees and over rocks. As others have said, it would be great to have both.