Shallots and eye pain...

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by OmManiPadmeOmelet, Mar 17, 2006.

  1. With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.

    But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    have stronger fumes than onions?

    Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    best trick to just blow the fumes away.

    Anyone else have this problem with shallots?

    It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    eyes STILL hurt! :p

    I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    recipes.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  2. Skyhooks

    Skyhooks Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    >
    > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    > have stronger fumes than onions?
    >
    > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    >
    > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    > eyes STILL hurt! :p
    >
    > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    > recipes.
    > --
    > Peace, Om.

    This may or may not work, but try breathing through your mouth (not the
    nose) while working with the shallots? Another trick might be to wear
    safety goggles (?).

    Skyhooks
    ""aahhtt""
    s b c g l o b a l
    ""ddoott""
    n e t

  3. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    >
    > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    > have stronger fumes than onions?
    >
    > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    >
    > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    > eyes STILL hurt! :p
    >
    > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    > recipes.

    Rumor has it that putting onions or shallots in a bowl of ice water before
    chopping them will help reduce the fumes.

  4. salgud

    salgud Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    > > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    > >
    > > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    > > have stronger fumes than onions?
    > >
    > > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    > > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    > >
    > > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    > >
    > > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    > > eyes STILL hurt! :p
    > >
    > > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    > > recipes.

    > Rumor has it that putting onions or shallots in a bowl of ice water before
    > chopping them will help reduce the fumes.

    Interesting! I've never had a problem with shallots. Onions, yes! And I
    read somewhere to burn a candle while I chop them, which really helps.
    It would probably work with shallots. Give it a try and let me know.
    Just put the candle next to the cutting board while you chop away!

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Skyhooks <[email protected]> wrote:

    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > >
    > > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    > > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    > >
    > > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    > > have stronger fumes than onions?
    > >
    > > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    > > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    > >
    > > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    > >
    > > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    > > eyes STILL hurt! :p
    > >
    > > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    > > recipes.
    > > --
    > > Peace, Om.

    > This may or may not work, but try breathing through your mouth (not the
    > nose) while working with the shallots? Another trick might be to wear
    > safety goggles (?).
    >
    > Skyhooks
    > ""aahhtt""
    > s b c g l o b a l
    > ""ddoott""
    > n e t

    Mm, the goggles are the best idea yet.

    I also have a real gas mask. <G> I use it for cleaning the bathroom when
    I'm using Muriatic acid for lime deposits. ;-) Sounds silly I know, but
    it's easier than paying an ER bill.

    I'll have to dig out my scuba mask. It's comfortable and covers eyes and
    nose.

    Cool idea!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  6. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I also have a real gas mask. <G> I use it for cleaning the bathroom when
    > I'm using Muriatic acid for lime deposits. ;-) Sounds silly I know, but
    > it's easier than paying an ER bill.

    Muriatic acid? Where the hell do you live? Or, more to the point, how many
    decades do you wait between cleanings?

  7. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    > > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    > >
    > > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    > > have stronger fumes than onions?
    > >
    > > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    > > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    > >
    > > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    > >
    > > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    > > eyes STILL hurt! :p
    > >
    > > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    > > recipes.

    > Rumor has it that putting onions or shallots in a bowl of ice water before
    > chopping them will help reduce the fumes.

    Might try that, thanks!
    I have zero trouble with onions even if I'm doing several.
    For some reason, the shallots start hitting my eyes shortly after I
    start peeling them.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  8. In article <[email protected]>,
    "salgud" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Doug Kanter wrote:
    > > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    > > > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    > > >
    > > > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    > > > have stronger fumes than onions?
    > > >
    > > > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    > > > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    > > >
    > > > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    > > > eyes STILL hurt! :p
    > > >
    > > > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    > > > recipes.

    > > Rumor has it that putting onions or shallots in a bowl of ice water before
    > > chopping them will help reduce the fumes.

    > Interesting! I've never had a problem with shallots. Onions, yes! And I
    > read somewhere to burn a candle while I chop them, which really helps.
    > It would probably work with shallots. Give it a try and let me know.
    > Just put the candle next to the cutting board while you chop away!

    Hm, that I can do. :)
    I always have candles around for power outages.

    I know I'll be using more shallots tomorrow to re-cook some pork hock
    meat with shitakes...

    I'll let you know, thanks!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  9. OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>>With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    >>>slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    >>>
    >>>But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    >>>have stronger fumes than onions?
    >>>
    >>>Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    >>>best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    >>>
    >>>It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    >>>eyes STILL hurt! :p
    >>>
    >>>I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    >>>recipes.

    >>Rumor has it that putting onions or shallots in a bowl of ice water before
    >>chopping them will help reduce the fumes.
    >>

    > Might try that, thanks!
    > I have zero trouble with onions even if I'm doing several.
    > For some reason, the shallots start hitting my eyes shortly after I
    > start peeling them.

    I find that not cutting off the root end until the very end helps, too.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  10. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling
    >> > and
    >> > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    >> >
    >> > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    >> > have stronger fumes than onions?
    >> >
    >> > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be
    >> > the
    >> > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    >> >
    >> > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    >> >
    >> > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    >> > eyes STILL hurt! :p
    >> >
    >> > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    >> > recipes.

    >> Rumor has it that putting onions or shallots in a bowl of ice water
    >> before
    >> chopping them will help reduce the fumes.
    >>

    > Might try that, thanks!
    > I have zero trouble with onions even if I'm doing several.
    > For some reason, the shallots start hitting my eyes shortly after I
    > start peeling them.

    Are you sure you don't have onions and shallots confused? :)

  11. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    > > I also have a real gas mask. <G> I use it for cleaning the bathroom when
    > > I'm using Muriatic acid for lime deposits. ;-) Sounds silly I know, but
    > > it's easier than paying an ER bill.

    > Muriatic acid? Where the hell do you live? Or, more to the point, how many
    > decades do you wait between cleanings?

    South central Texas.
    ALL of our water comes from underground limestone caverns. The water is
    as hard as it gets.

    I am lazy... Muriatic Acid cleans faster than scrubbing, or Acetic acid.
    And the mask was cheap as I bought it BEFORE 9-11 when the prices on
    those items quintupled.

    It's common around here. Every spring, we get folks into our emergency
    room that made the mistake of not rinsing well between using Muriatic
    acid, followed by bleach to get the mildew. :-(

    Deadly, deadly gas production. Mustard gas.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    sarah bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I find that not cutting off the root end until the very end helps, too.
    >
    > --
    >
    > saerah

    Mm, but I usually start peeling at that end since it's larger. ;-)

    I'll have to re-asses my technique.

    Thanks for the tip!
    --
    Peace, Om.

  13. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> > I also have a real gas mask. <G> I use it for cleaning the bathroom
    >> > when
    >> > I'm using Muriatic acid for lime deposits. ;-) Sounds silly I know, but
    >> > it's easier than paying an ER bill.

    >> Muriatic acid? Where the hell do you live? Or, more to the point, how
    >> many
    >> decades do you wait between cleanings?
    >>

    > South central Texas.
    > ALL of our water comes from underground limestone caverns. The water is
    > as hard as it gets.
    >
    > I am lazy... Muriatic Acid cleans faster than scrubbing, or Acetic acid.
    > And the mask was cheap as I bought it BEFORE 9-11 when the prices on
    > those items quintupled.
    >
    > It's common around here. Every spring, we get folks into our emergency
    > room that made the mistake of not rinsing well between using Muriatic
    > acid, followed by bleach to get the mildew. :-(
    >
    > Deadly, deadly gas production. Mustard gas.

    Darwin's theories at work. Do these people survive to make more babies?

  14. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
    > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
    >
    > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
    > have stronger fumes than onions?
    >
    > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
    > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
    >
    > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
    > eyes STILL hurt! :p
    >
    > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
    > recipes.

    Ok, not sure if this will work but somewhere along the line I got the
    tip to peel onions under water to avoid eye pain. It works so maybe it
    would work for shallots. Shallots don't hurt my eyes as much as onions
    and since we use onions almost on a daily basis...

  15. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> Rumor has it that putting onions or shallots in a bowl of ice water
    > >> before
    > >> chopping them will help reduce the fumes.
    > >>

    > > Might try that, thanks!
    > > I have zero trouble with onions even if I'm doing several.
    > > For some reason, the shallots start hitting my eyes shortly after I
    > > start peeling them.

    > Are you sure you don't have onions and shallots confused? :)

    Bite me babycakes! :p
    --
    Peace, Om.

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]

    > >> Muriatic acid? Where the hell do you live? Or, more to the point, how
    > >> many
    > >> decades do you wait between cleanings?
    > >>

    > > South central Texas.
    > > ALL of our water comes from underground limestone caverns. The water is
    > > as hard as it gets.
    > >
    > > I am lazy... Muriatic Acid cleans faster than scrubbing, or Acetic acid.
    > > And the mask was cheap as I bought it BEFORE 9-11 when the prices on
    > > those items quintupled.
    > >
    > > It's common around here. Every spring, we get folks into our emergency
    > > room that made the mistake of not rinsing well between using Muriatic
    > > acid, followed by bleach to get the mildew. :-(
    > >
    > > Deadly, deadly gas production. Mustard gas.

    > Darwin's theories at work. Do these people survive to make more babies?

    Usually...

    Cut them some slack.
    They are the uneducated and have never had chemistry classes...

    Ignorance is NOT bliss!

    And warnings about mixing bleach, acid, ammonia and detergents are not
    printed on all labels.

    None of those 4 should EVER be mixed with one of the others, but all are
    common cleaners.

    Ammonia and bleach is a very, very bad mix too and probably even more
    common.
    --
    Peace, Om.

  17. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> Darwin's theories at work. Do these people survive to make more babies?
    >>

    > Usually...
    >
    > Cut them some slack.
    > They are the uneducated and have never had chemistry classes...
    >
    > Ignorance is NOT bliss!
    >
    > And warnings about mixing bleach, acid, ammonia and detergents are not
    > printed on all labels.

    Duh. They may not say "don't mix with specific things", but they all say
    "Don't mix with anything else".

  18. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]

    >>>South central Texas.
    >>>ALL of our water comes from underground limestone caverns. The water is
    >>>as hard as it gets.
    >>>
    >>>I am lazy... Muriatic Acid cleans faster than scrubbing, or Acetic acid.
    >>>And the mask was cheap as I bought it BEFORE 9-11 when the prices on
    >>>those items quintupled.
    >>>
    >>>It's common around here. Every spring, we get folks into our emergency
    >>>room that made the mistake of not rinsing well between using Muriatic
    >>>acid, followed by bleach to get the mildew. :-(
    >>>
    >>>Deadly, deadly gas production. Mustard gas.

    >>Darwin's theories at work. Do these people survive to make more babies?
    >>

    > Usually...
    >
    > Cut them some slack.
    > They are the uneducated and have never had chemistry classes...
    >
    > Ignorance is NOT bliss!
    >
    > And warnings about mixing bleach, acid, ammonia and detergents are not
    > printed on all labels.
    >
    > None of those 4 should EVER be mixed with one of the others, but all are
    > common cleaners.
    >
    > Ammonia and bleach is a very, very bad mix too and probably even more
    > common.

    IRC a very old show where ammonia or was it bleach, I think it was
    bleach, spilled onto a bag of sugar and the driver of the car was
    overwhelmed with the fumes.

    I once cleaned my floors with ammonia, actually my favourite cleaner.
    The floors look gorgeous but the multituce of plants turned from green
    to turquoise and blue. That was my first indication that this might not
    be something I should be breathing. The plants ended up dying too. I
    use it very sparingly in well ventilated conditions and about once a
    year. I can't use bleach at all under any circumstances. Now a-days, I
    go for really natural cleansers like vinegar, baking soda, and elbow
    grease ;)

  19. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
    >
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>news:[email protected]

    >>>Darwin's theories at work. Do these people survive to make more babies?
    >>>

    >> Usually...
    >>
    >> Cut them some slack.
    >> They are the uneducated and have never had chemistry classes...
    >>
    >> Ignorance is NOT bliss!
    >>
    >> And warnings about mixing bleach, acid, ammonia and detergents are not
    >> printed on all labels.
    >>
    >> None of those 4 should EVER be mixed with one of the others, but all are
    >> common cleaners.
    >>
    >> Ammonia and bleach is a very, very bad mix too and probably even more
    >> common.

    > IRC a very old show where ammonia or was it bleach, I think it was bleach,
    > spilled onto a bag of sugar and the driver of the car was overwhelmed with
    > the fumes.
    >
    > I once cleaned my floors with ammonia, actually my favourite cleaner. The
    > floors look gorgeous but the multituce of plants turned from green to
    > turquoise and blue. That was my first indication that this might not be
    > something I should be breathing.

    Hey...any time we hear about a the derailment of a train tank car full of
    ammonia, they usually evacuate entire towns downwind.

  20. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > Might try that, thanks!
    >> > I have zero trouble with onions even if I'm doing several.
    >> > For some reason, the shallots start hitting my eyes shortly after I
    >> > start peeling them.

    >> Are you sure you don't have onions and shallots confused? :)
    >>

    > Bite me babycakes! :p

    You're not woman enough. Heh. :)