Shallots and eye pain...

In article <[email protected]>,
~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>
> > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
> > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
> >
> > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
> > have stronger fumes than onions?
> >
> > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
> > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
> >
> > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
> > eyes STILL hurt! :p
> >
> > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
> > recipes.

> Ok, not sure if this will work but somewhere along the line I got the
> tip to peel onions under water to avoid eye pain. It works so maybe it
> would work for shallots. Shallots don't hurt my eyes as much as onions
> and since we use onions almost on a daily basis...

I'd seen that tip too and could peel them under water, but how am I
supposed to slice them under water? :)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >> Darwin's theories at work. Do these people survive to make more babies?
> >>

> > Usually...
> >
> > Cut them some slack.
> > They are the uneducated and have never had chemistry classes...
> >
> > Ignorance is NOT bliss!
> >
> > And warnings about mixing bleach, acid, ammonia and detergents are not
> > printed on all labels.

> Duh. They may not say "don't mix with specific things", but they all say
> "Don't mix with anything else".

And how many people read the damned labels....... ;-)

And how many hispanics read English?

This is Texas.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
>>
>> > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling
>> > and
>> > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
>> >
>> > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
>> > have stronger fumes than onions?
>> >
>> > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be
>> > the
>> > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
>> >
>> > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
>> >
>> > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
>> > eyes STILL hurt! :p
>> >
>> > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
>> > recipes.

>> Ok, not sure if this will work but somewhere along the line I got the
>> tip to peel onions under water to avoid eye pain. It works so maybe it
>> would work for shallots. Shallots don't hurt my eyes as much as onions
>> and since we use onions almost on a daily basis...

> I'd seen that tip too and could peel them under water, but how am I
> supposed to slice them under water? :)
> --
> Peace, Om.

Oh please...you don't peel them under water. You chill them for 10 minutes
or so. Try and keep up, OK?

In article <[email protected]>,
~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Ammonia and bleach is a very, very bad mix too and probably even more
> > common.

> IRC a very old show where ammonia or was it bleach, I think it was
> bleach, spilled onto a bag of sugar and the driver of the car was
> overwhelmed with the fumes.
>
> I once cleaned my floors with ammonia, actually my favourite cleaner.
> The floors look gorgeous but the multituce of plants turned from green
> to turquoise and blue. That was my first indication that this might not
> be something I should be breathing. The plants ended up dying too.

I'm surprised you were able to breathe! I made the mistake of trying to
clean a floor with Ammonia too without good ventilation...

I had to chase all the pets into another room, close the door and open
the front and back doors and run a fan to drive out the fumes, all while
being barely able to breathe. :-( I only made that mistake once!

Now I have a mop bucket and use 2 gallons of strong vinegar, 2 gallons
of water and 1/2 of a bottle of floor cleaner concentrate such as Lysol
or Mr. Clean without bleach.

Works a treat and is a great, safe deoderant.
I use that for mopping floors weekly. No carpet, nor do I ever intend to
own any again. <g>
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> > I once cleaned my floors with ammonia, actually my favourite cleaner. The
> > floors look gorgeous but the multituce of plants turned from green to
> > turquoise and blue. That was my first indication that this might not be
> > something I should be breathing.

> Hey...any time we hear about a the derailment of a train tank car full of
> ammonia, they usually evacuate entire towns downwind.

After having tried that stuff once, never, ever again!
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Are you sure you don't have onions and shallots confused? :)
> >>

> > Bite me babycakes! :p

> You're not woman enough. Heh. :)

Wanna bet? <smirk>
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh please...you don't peel them under water. You chill them for 10 minutes
> or so. Try and keep up, OK?

I'm peeling and slicing these right out of the 'frige where I store them
at 40 degrees.

Does not do a damned bit of good.
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
> best trick to just blow the fumes away.

Yep. I have a heating vent behind my head at the cutting board, and
I'll turn the fan on when I expect the onions to get me.

I haven't noticed shallots to be a problem; maybe you've been unlucky
and got squirted directly.

--Blair

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >> You're not woman enough. Heh. :)
> >>

> > Wanna bet? <smirk>

> 12 months pay, and you have to wax my car with a q-tip. Twice.

And I get what for that? ;-)
--

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
> slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
>
> But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
> have stronger fumes than onions?
>
> Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
> best trick to just blow the fumes away.
>
> Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
>
> It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
> eyes STILL hurt! :p
>
> I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
> recipes.

Wish I could be of more help, Om. I wear contact lenses and always get
delegated to chop onions etc. in this house. They seem to keep the fumes
out of my eyes. ;) I think someone already suggested goggles?

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
> slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
>
> But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
> have stronger fumes than onions?
>
> Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
> best trick to just blow the fumes away.
>
> Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
>
> It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
> eyes STILL hurt! :p
>
> I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
> recipes.
> --
> Peace, Om.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

oo practice cutting by ear like those Kung Fu Masters hehe.. or wear
swimming googles :)

In article <[email protected]>,
cathyxyz <[email protected]> wrote:

> OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> > With the vent fan behind the kitchen sink, I have no trouble peeling and
> > slicing/chopping onions at all. The fan pulls all the fumes away.
> >
> > But peeling and slicing Shallots hurts my eyes every time! Seems they
> > have stronger fumes than onions?
> >
> > Considering getting a small fan for the kitchen counter. Seems to be the
> > best trick to just blow the fumes away.
> >
> > Anyone else have this problem with shallots?
> >
> > It's been a good 20 minutes since I did 5 of the darned things and my
> > eyes STILL hurt! :p
> >
> > I hate to give them up due to this. Dad and I really enjoy them in
> > recipes.

> Wish I could be of more help, Om. I wear contact lenses and always get
> delegated to chop onions etc. in this house. They seem to keep the fumes
> out of my eyes. ;) I think someone already suggested goggles?
>
> Cheers
> Cathy(xyz)

Yep... :)
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Wanna bet? <smirk>

>> 12 months pay, and you have to wax my car with a q-tip. Twice.
>>

> And I get what for that? ;-)

You get to prove you can handle me. :)

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> 12 months pay, and you have to wax my car with a q-tip. Twice.
> >>

> > And I get what for that? ;-)

> You get to prove you can handle me. :)

Depends on how big your "handle" is.....
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > And I get what for that? ;-)

>> You get to prove you can handle me. :)
>>

> Depends on how big your "handle" is.....

<drum crash!> Is this an audience or an oil painting? - Henny Youngman

In article <[email protected]>,
"Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> news:[email protected]...

> >> You get to prove you can handle me. :)
> >>

> > Depends on how big your "handle" is.....

> <drum crash!> Is this an audience or an oil painting? - Henny Youngman

ROFL!!!!!!!