Shamal spoke nipple thread size

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], May 8, 2006.

  1. After moving almost all of the internals (grease/bearing covers did not
    transfer) from my 1997 Shamal rear wheel to my 1998 Chrous hub, I have
    an empty rear Shamal wheel. I'd like to convert it into a front wheel
    to go with the other complete Shamal rear wheel I have. Make a matched
    pair. But before loosening all 12 of the spokes, it would be nice to
    know if the nuts/nipples used in Shamal wheels will fit onto regular 14
    gauge spokes.

    If the nuts/nipples in the Shamal wheel take standard 14 guage spokes,
    then I would get a 12 spoke hub from AC or someone and put some bladed
    spokes in it and reuse the nuts/nipples from the Shamal wheel. Regular
    nipples will not work in this Shamal rim. Other idea is to get a 24 or
    36 hole front hub and use regular 14 gauge spokes. A possible problem
    with using a 36 hole Chorus front hub for example is radial lacing is
    not recommended by Campagnolo. And with only 12 spokes in the front, I
    think radial lacing may be the best way to go and I think each spoke
    will have a fair amount of tension on it.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > After moving almost all of the internals (grease/bearing covers did not
    > transfer) from my 1997 Shamal rear wheel to my 1998 Chrous hub, I have
    > an empty rear Shamal wheel. I'd like to convert it into a front wheel
    > to go with the other complete Shamal rear wheel I have. Make a matched
    > pair. But before loosening all 12 of the spokes, it would be nice to
    > know if the nuts/nipples used in Shamal wheels will fit onto regular 14
    > gauge spokes.
    >
    > If the nuts/nipples in the Shamal wheel take standard 14 guage spokes,
    > then I would get a 12 spoke hub from AC or someone and put some bladed
    > spokes in it and reuse the nuts/nipples from the Shamal wheel. Regular
    > nipples will not work in this Shamal rim. Other idea is to get a 24 or
    > 36 hole front hub and use regular 14 gauge spokes. A possible problem
    > with using a 36 hole Chorus front hub for example is radial lacing is
    > not recommended by Campagnolo. And with only 12 spokes in the front, I
    > think radial lacing may be the best way to go and I think each spoke
    > will have a fair amount of tension on it.

    The old silver rimmed Shamals I had used regular DT nipples and 2.0 mm
    spokes. Those 12 spoke wheels sure were fast!

    Have fun.

  3. [email protected] wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > After moving almost all of the internals (grease/bearing covers did not
    > > transfer) from my 1997 Shamal rear wheel to my 1998 Chrous hub, I have
    > > an empty rear Shamal wheel. I'd like to convert it into a front wheel
    > > to go with the other complete Shamal rear wheel I have. Make a matched
    > > pair. But before loosening all 12 of the spokes, it would be nice to
    > > know if the nuts/nipples used in Shamal wheels will fit onto regular 14
    > > gauge spokes.
    > >
    > > If the nuts/nipples in the Shamal wheel take standard 14 guage spokes,
    > > then I would get a 12 spoke hub from AC or someone and put some bladed
    > > spokes in it and reuse the nuts/nipples from the Shamal wheel. Regular
    > > nipples will not work in this Shamal rim. Other idea is to get a 24 or
    > > 36 hole front hub and use regular 14 gauge spokes. A possible problem
    > > with using a 36 hole Chorus front hub for example is radial lacing is
    > > not recommended by Campagnolo. And with only 12 spokes in the front, I
    > > think radial lacing may be the best way to go and I think each spoke
    > > will have a fair amount of tension on it.

    > The old silver rimmed Shamals I had used regular DT nipples and 2.0 mm
    > spokes. Those 12 spoke wheels sure were fast!
    >
    > Have fun.

    I meant to add, the "regular" DT nipples were their bras hex-head
    model, not so normal after all I guess. :) The hex head takes a 5.5 mm
    socket wrench, as do many other internal nipples.

    Here's a link to it on DT's web site:
    http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=nipples.bikedetail&id=7

  4. [email protected] wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > > > After moving almost all of the internals (grease/bearing covers did not
    > > > transfer) from my 1997 Shamal rear wheel to my 1998 Chrous hub, I have
    > > > an empty rear Shamal wheel. I'd like to convert it into a front wheel
    > > > to go with the other complete Shamal rear wheel I have. Make a matched
    > > > pair. But before loosening all 12 of the spokes, it would be nice to
    > > > know if the nuts/nipples used in Shamal wheels will fit onto regular 14
    > > > gauge spokes.
    > > >
    > > > If the nuts/nipples in the Shamal wheel take standard 14 guage spokes,
    > > > then I would get a 12 spoke hub from AC or someone and put some bladed
    > > > spokes in it and reuse the nuts/nipples from the Shamal wheel. Regular
    > > > nipples will not work in this Shamal rim. Other idea is to get a 24 or
    > > > 36 hole front hub and use regular 14 gauge spokes. A possible problem
    > > > with using a 36 hole Chorus front hub for example is radial lacing is
    > > > not recommended by Campagnolo. And with only 12 spokes in the front, I
    > > > think radial lacing may be the best way to go and I think each spoke
    > > > will have a fair amount of tension on it.

    > > The old silver rimmed Shamals I had used regular DT nipples and 2.0 mm
    > > spokes. Those 12 spoke wheels sure were fast!
    > >
    > > Have fun.

    > I meant to add, the "regular" DT nipples were their bras hex-head
    > model, not so normal after all I guess. :) The hex head takes a 5.5 mm
    > socket wrench, as do many other internal nipples.
    >
    > Here's a link to it on DT's web site:
    > http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=nipples.bikedetail&id=7

    Thanks. I will reuse the nipples/nuts from the Shamal wheels. I have
    the official Campagnolo 5.5 mm socket tool for them. I have a set of
    Vento wheels too. 16 spoked and black. Someday soon I will have the
    silver Shamal 12 spoke set ready to go. Just have to find a suitable
    hub.