Shamal spoke nipple thread size

After moving almost all of the internals (grease/bearing covers did not
transfer) from my 1997 Shamal rear wheel to my 1998 Chrous hub, I have
an empty rear Shamal wheel. I'd like to convert it into a front wheel
to go with the other complete Shamal rear wheel I have. Make a matched
pair. But before loosening all 12 of the spokes, it would be nice to
know if the nuts/nipples used in Shamal wheels will fit onto regular 14
gauge spokes.

If the nuts/nipples in the Shamal wheel take standard 14 guage spokes,
then I would get a 12 spoke hub from AC or someone and put some bladed
spokes in it and reuse the nuts/nipples from the Shamal wheel. Regular
nipples will not work in this Shamal rim. Other idea is to get a 24 or
36 hole front hub and use regular 14 gauge spokes. A possible problem
with using a 36 hole Chorus front hub for example is radial lacing is
not recommended by Campagnolo. And with only 12 spokes in the front, I
think radial lacing may be the best way to go and I think each spoke
will have a fair amount of tension on it.

[email protected] wrote:
> After moving almost all of the internals (grease/bearing covers did not
> transfer) from my 1997 Shamal rear wheel to my 1998 Chrous hub, I have
> an empty rear Shamal wheel. I'd like to convert it into a front wheel
> to go with the other complete Shamal rear wheel I have. Make a matched
> pair. But before loosening all 12 of the spokes, it would be nice to
> know if the nuts/nipples used in Shamal wheels will fit onto regular 14
> gauge spokes.
>
> If the nuts/nipples in the Shamal wheel take standard 14 guage spokes,
> then I would get a 12 spoke hub from AC or someone and put some bladed
> spokes in it and reuse the nuts/nipples from the Shamal wheel. Regular
> nipples will not work in this Shamal rim. Other idea is to get a 24 or
> 36 hole front hub and use regular 14 gauge spokes. A possible problem
> with using a 36 hole Chorus front hub for example is radial lacing is
> not recommended by Campagnolo. And with only 12 spokes in the front, I
> think radial lacing may be the best way to go and I think each spoke
> will have a fair amount of tension on it.

The old silver rimmed Shamals I had used regular DT nipples and 2.0 mm
spokes. Those 12 spoke wheels sure were fast!

Have fun.

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > After moving almost all of the internals (grease/bearing covers did not
> > transfer) from my 1997 Shamal rear wheel to my 1998 Chrous hub, I have
> > an empty rear Shamal wheel. I'd like to convert it into a front wheel
> > to go with the other complete Shamal rear wheel I have. Make a matched
> > pair. But before loosening all 12 of the spokes, it would be nice to
> > know if the nuts/nipples used in Shamal wheels will fit onto regular 14
> > gauge spokes.
> >
> > If the nuts/nipples in the Shamal wheel take standard 14 guage spokes,
> > then I would get a 12 spoke hub from AC or someone and put some bladed
> > spokes in it and reuse the nuts/nipples from the Shamal wheel. Regular
> > nipples will not work in this Shamal rim. Other idea is to get a 24 or
> > 36 hole front hub and use regular 14 gauge spokes. A possible problem
> > with using a 36 hole Chorus front hub for example is radial lacing is
> > not recommended by Campagnolo. And with only 12 spokes in the front, I
> > think radial lacing may be the best way to go and I think each spoke
> > will have a fair amount of tension on it.

> The old silver rimmed Shamals I had used regular DT nipples and 2.0 mm
> spokes. Those 12 spoke wheels sure were fast!
>
> Have fun.

I meant to add, the "regular" DT nipples were their bras hex-head
model, not so normal after all I guess. :) The hex head takes a 5.5 mm
socket wrench, as do many other internal nipples.

Here's a link to it on DT's web site:
http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=nipples.bikedetail&id=7

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > > After moving almost all of the internals (grease/bearing covers did not
> > > transfer) from my 1997 Shamal rear wheel to my 1998 Chrous hub, I have
> > > an empty rear Shamal wheel. I'd like to convert it into a front wheel
> > > to go with the other complete Shamal rear wheel I have. Make a matched
> > > pair. But before loosening all 12 of the spokes, it would be nice to
> > > know if the nuts/nipples used in Shamal wheels will fit onto regular 14
> > > gauge spokes.
> > >
> > > If the nuts/nipples in the Shamal wheel take standard 14 guage spokes,
> > > then I would get a 12 spoke hub from AC or someone and put some bladed
> > > spokes in it and reuse the nuts/nipples from the Shamal wheel. Regular
> > > nipples will not work in this Shamal rim. Other idea is to get a 24 or
> > > 36 hole front hub and use regular 14 gauge spokes. A possible problem
> > > with using a 36 hole Chorus front hub for example is radial lacing is
> > > not recommended by Campagnolo. And with only 12 spokes in the front, I
> > > think radial lacing may be the best way to go and I think each spoke
> > > will have a fair amount of tension on it.

> > The old silver rimmed Shamals I had used regular DT nipples and 2.0 mm
> > spokes. Those 12 spoke wheels sure were fast!
> >
> > Have fun.

> I meant to add, the "regular" DT nipples were their bras hex-head
> model, not so normal after all I guess. :) The hex head takes a 5.5 mm
> socket wrench, as do many other internal nipples.
>
> Here's a link to it on DT's web site:
> http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=nipples.bikedetail&id=7

Thanks. I will reuse the nipples/nuts from the Shamal wheels. I have
the official Campagnolo 5.5 mm socket tool for them. I have a set of
Vento wheels too. 16 spoked and black. Someday soon I will have the
silver Shamal 12 spoke set ready to go. Just have to find a suitable
hub.