Shard of glass

Tom Crispin wrote:
> After two visits from the p*nct*r* fairy I found and removed the
> little ****!
>
> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/shard

I pulled four like that out of a front Ultra Hamsterskin, then threw the
tyres in the bin. Hopeless.

>> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/shard
>
> I pulled four like that out of a front Ultra Hamsterskin, then threw the
> tyres in the bin. Hopeless.

I used to regularly 'e-glass' my gatorskins. Glass would embed in the
grippy (so soft) rubber then stop at the puncture belt thingy. Some shards
would be big and shard like, whilst others would be tiny-tiny balls of
polished glass - presumably they'd been shards that had been there so long
they'd broken and the two parts nearly worn each other away.

Mark T wrote:
>>> www.johnballcycling.org.uk/photos/shard

>> I pulled four like that out of a front Ultra Hamsterskin, then threw the
>> tyres in the bin. Hopeless.

> I used to regularly 'e-glass' my gatorskins. Glass would embed in the
> grippy (so soft) rubber then stop at the puncture belt thingy. Some shards
> would be big and shard like, whilst others would be tiny-tiny balls of
> polished glass - presumably they'd been shards that had been there so long
> they'd broken and the two parts nearly worn each other away.

I normally check tyres for glass after a puncture. A quick finger tip
check on the inside of the tyre followed by an outside tyre inspection
of each cut to see if it still has glass in it.

Isn't this just normal tyre and cycling behaviour in a town or city.

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 16:03:56 +0000, Nick <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> I pulled four like that out of a front Ultra Hamsterskin, then threw the
>>> tyres in the bin. Hopeless.

>> I used to regularly 'e-glass' my gatorskins. Glass would embed in the
>> grippy (so soft) rubber then stop at the puncture belt thingy. Some shards
>> would be big and shard like, whilst others would be tiny-tiny balls of
>> polished glass - presumably they'd been shards that had been there so long
>> they'd broken and the two parts nearly worn each other away.

>I normally check tyres for glass after a puncture. A quick finger tip
>check on the inside of the tyre followed by an outside tyre inspection
>of each cut to see if it still has glass in it.
>
>Isn't this just normal tyre and cycling behaviour in a town or city.

Yes. However, on a dark wet night I failed to find the culprit on
first inspection and forget to look once I got home as I was too busy
running a bath. The little critter was almost undetectable on the
inside of the tyre.