Share your sprint workouts

fergie said:
In the Tour only selected teams are racing for the flat stages. If there were 60sec time bonuses for each stage I suspect it would be a different story as more GC contenders would vie for stage wins than just the side show that is bunch sprints.
Makes sense. Thanks.

beerco said:
Believe it or not, the best way to keep from being dusted at the end of a cat 5 sprint is to work on your threshold power.

e.g. Last year I won the Michigan State Championship cat 4 - a barely uphill sprint finish after a very flat race. My average power for the last 15s was only 644w. For comparison, when rested I can hit close to 1000w for 15s. Looking at the prior two minutes tells the story though:

My AP for the two min prior to the final sprint was 330w thanks to an excellent lead-out train. That 330w was in my teammate's draft and was well above my threshold. Luckily, it was high enough that it killed the other sprinter's sprint more than my own...something to think about.

p.s. I don't bother with weights to work on my sprint. I prefer on bike training for all of my cycling needs.

I agree with everything said here. Improving sprint ability is more about teaching the nervous system to react properly than it is about massive legs. Weights will help, but for the roadie, you are better off doing all bike work.

And races are NOT won on peak sprint power, AT ALL. At the end of a hard race with some high speeds before the sprint, I have trouble hitting much more than 50% of my true peak power. I have placed in top 3 in sprint finishes with some PATHETIC sprint wattage. If only I could sprint like I do when I'm fresh.....::dreams:: :rolleyes:

You want to win sprints in a crit/road race? Do some kilos. damn, it hurts just thinking about those.

Yup, I'm back on the forums after some time off the bike. I just picked up and old beater 10speed on ebay for some serious winter training. I am training right this year, going to lay down huge base before any of that intensity. I peaked way too early last year.

let me tell you, 3 weeks off the bike does some crazy stuff to ya. Starting to loose my mind here! Here's to winter training in CT!
Goal: Tour of CT in May.

velomanct said:
I agree with everything said here. Improving sprint ability is more about teaching the nervous system to react properly than it is about massive legs. Weights will help, but for the roadie, you are better off doing all bike work.

And races are NOT won on peak sprint power, AT ALL. At the end of a hard race with some high speeds before the sprint, I have trouble hitting much more than 50% of my true peak power. I have placed in top 3 in sprint finishes with some PATHETIC sprint wattage. If only I could sprint like I do when I'm fresh.....::dreams:: :rolleyes:

You want to win sprints in a crit/road race? Do some kilos. damn, it hurts just thinking about those.

Yup, I'm back on the forums after some time off the bike. I just picked up and old beater 10speed on ebay for some serious winter training. I am training right this year, going to lay down huge base before any of that intensity. I peaked way too early last year.

let me tell you, 3 weeks off the bike does some crazy stuff to ya. Starting to loose my mind here! Here's to winter training in CT!
Goal: Tour of CT in May.
Great post, Veloman. Welcome back. When you say kilos, you mean 1k all out, right? Not just training geared towards the kilo. Also, what sort of intensity do you think caused you to peak too early?

whoawhoa said:
Great post, Veloman. Welcome back. When you say kilos, you mean 1k all out, right? Not just training geared towards the kilo. Also, what sort of intensity do you think caused you to peak too early?
Yeh, I meant just doing 1 minute efforts, although a track style kilo would be just as good.
Last year I just did too much tempo, it kind of burned me out. I didn't have much of a base then I did tempo for 6 weeks.

beerco said:
When training your sprint, you've got to do maximal efforts to build it. That's why sprints should be done well rested. There is a time and place to do sprints when you've got some fatigue in your legs but that's much closer to the season.
Totally inaccurate in two respects. first, in the offseason focus should be on endurance and maintance of FTP and VO2max. So sprint workouts are best done gently.

Second, to maintain the principle of specificity in training, a very useful time to conduct sprint training is after a L4 workout.

yzfrr11 said:
beerco said:
When training your sprint, you've got to do maximal efforts to build it. That's why sprints should be done well rested. There is a time and place to do sprints when you've got some fatigue in your legs but that's much closer to the season.
Totally inaccurate in two respects. first, in the offseason focus should be on endurance and maintance of FTP and VO2max. So sprint workouts are best done gently.

Second, to maintain the principle of specificity in training, a very useful time to conduct sprint training is after a L4 workout.
But sprint workouts, IMHO, do not impact ability to complete endurance/ftp/v02max workouts, and therefore do not need to be limited to low intensity.

yzfrr11 said:

Yommamma, I mean Yamaha,

You are a moron (no offense to any morons out there). The original poster was asking questions on how to perform sprint workouts, not what time of year to do them.

Sprint workouts done gently are not sprint workouts. Ask any trackie how they perform sprint workouts.

Doing your sprints after L4 work isn't going to build your sprint much at all. It may help you get past some mental barriers of sprinting when you're that tired, but it won't build your max sprint or your AWC nearly as much as focussed L6 or L7 workouts will.

Are you slow on your motorcycle too?

yzfrr11 said:
Just because you feel that the training focus should be elsewhere at a particular point in the season doesn't make the statement inaccurate, or mean that sprint workouts should be done gently. Is there another reason why off-season sprints should be done gently?

yzfrr11 said:
If that were the case, then *every* workout would be structured like a race, which they are not. Fast-twitch recruitment is lower at the end of a hard ride, which I expect would mean that producing hypertrophy in those fibers would be more difficult in a fatigued sprint workout. I'm not sure of the effect of fatigue on neuromuscular adaptations, but I'd expect that doing sprints at the end of a hard ride would make it harder to reach the systems that are supposed to be trained. That pretty much defeats the purpose of doing a sprint specific workout in the first place.

yzfrr11 said:
Totally inaccurate in two respects. first, in the offseason focus should be on endurance and maintance of FTP and VO2max...
It doesn't work like that for me. To perform good VO2Max workout, I need light ez speed. And during the winter, I can't focus on endurance, I just don't want to waist 3 to 4 hours, doing trainer, looking at the wall.

Ever heard about reverse periodization anyway?

postal_bag said:
Maybe confused is more accurate. The definintion of max effort. I know that if I am in a certain gear, I will achieve a higher speed during my sprint than if I am in a harder gear. However, I can still put out a "max" effort in the harder gear, only the force is higher and the power output is lower. Does this second example still benefit my sprinting?
I have a track around albury that is great for intervals. It is an abandoned estate with posh nosh roads and beautiful sweeping corners as well as a nice little uphill. I sprint between 3 lamposts on the flat (about 10 secs) and on the same lap with about 1 minute recovery I sprint on the uphill section for about 10 seconds... a good way to liven things up is to add up your total km/h to get a lap score, you then try and beat that score on the following laps...often the speeds start to slowly decrease over more laps.

velomanct said:

I have been doing 1 minute intervals lately, but only at 150-160% of 1 hr power, with 1 min. recovery intervals. Are you suggesting to do the kilos with full recovery between reps?

Also, just out of curiousity, does 1 minute power typically fall into to a certain range as a percentage of FT? Or is it too short of a duration? I know my 4 min. power was at least 120% because that's what I was doing my 5x4's at.

I have a 1 km loop 2 minutes away from my house, which is where I raced my first criterium. Should make for some good visualization before next year's race there.

postal_bag said:
I have been doing 1 minute intervals lately, but only at 150-160% of 1 hr power, with 1 min. recovery intervals. Are you suggesting to do the kilos with full recovery between reps?

Also, just out of curiousity, does 1 minute power typically fall into to a certain range as a percentage of FT? Or is it too short of a duration? I know my 4 min. power was at least 120% because that's what I was doing my 5x4's at.

I have a 1 km loop 2 minutes away from my house, which is where I raced my first criterium. Should make for some good visualization before next year's race there.
It all depends on where you are in your training season. Typically, I would never do hard intervals in December.
For crit training, you should try keeping the recovery intervals on the short side. 150% of 1 hr power for 1 minute intervals sounds about right. But that is not the same as doing a kilo. If you ride the kilo right, you won't be able to do another for at least 20 minutes. The point is to get in those short high intensity efforts (1-2 minutes) to prepare yourself for the last lap and sprint in a crit. But again, this is race season training, not something I would do now.

Billsworld said:
I can spin a 42x16 to 170+ 35 mph. Problem is that doesnt give me a huge amount of mph in a larger gear. Leg speed workouts are the most fun to do , but you still need power to go fast in bigger gears. I cant make enough power in a larger gear to add more than a few mph past 35. I have only been at it for less than a year. Any suggetions?? I am 44
Tried sprinting up hills in big gears. If you add a sprint at the end of each training ride over say 10-15 sec's on a nearby hill your strength should increase.
Remember to keep up the fast cadence sprints aswell.

postal_bag said:

Veloman has some good insights and suggestions. He certainly has fun training too. Just dont let him talk you into any 60mph dowhill sprints:D

Sorry boy's I also posted this in another thread ( Sprint/kilo training) I meant to post it here, sorry. :confused: :confused:

Because I'am very interested in sprinting and kilo's, I have followed this thread from it's beginning.

The part that confuses me, is all of the technical jargon that you fellows pass back and forth regarding your training.

What is everyones P.B.'s for 200m or 1 kilometer.?

And what types of improvements have you boy's made over the past 2 seasons while training using these methods?

I guess what I'am asking is, are you using all of this technical information to make positive improvements in your bike racing?

Thank you

2006 said:
Sorry boy's I also posted this in another thread ( Sprint/kilo training) I meant to post it here, sorry. :confused: :confused:

Because I'am very interested in sprinting and kilo's, I have followed this thread from it's beginning.

The part that confuses me, is all of the technical jargon that you fellows pass back and forth regarding your training.

What is everyones P.B.'s for 200m or 1 kilometer.?

And what types of improvements have you boy's made over the past 2 seasons while training using these methods?

I guess what I'am asking is, are you using all of this technical information to make positive improvements in your bike racing?

Thank you

Oh, you want info on actual "race" improvements. I thought this discussion was about training to be better at training. Science, schmience. Old-school rule #4, "don't overthink".
:D

Actually I'am interested to see if all of this information ( re: technical discussion ) is producing real results. You remember that old rule B.S. Baffles Brains ???

2006 said:

1. Name the countries with the most advanced applied sport science programs in cycling. (Answer: Australia and Great Britain)

2. Name the countries that have won the most medals in international track cycling over the last 5 y. (Answer: Australia and Great Britain)

3. Now name one Canadian track cyclist (other than Lori-Ann Munzer, who I understand has had to retire due to lack of CCF support) who has been successful on this stage during the same time period. (Answer: none)

BTW, what's your personal best for a flying 200 m or a 1 km, and how much has it changed in the last two seasons?

2006 said:
Actually I'am interested to see if all of this information ( re: technical discussion ) is producing real results. You remember that old rule B.S. Baffles Brains ???

If you are lucky to live near a track thats your best resource. I like track style training becuase I am better suited to it. Because I dont live near a track , I bought a powermeter and I am able to see progress through that and gym work. There are plenty of track guys that accually race on a track. You can see who they are by thier posts. Peaks Cycing wbsite has some graphs that give you a good indication of where your at based on 5sec 1min and FT power . It is based on watts. Watts can be calculated, but I have no f***ing idea how to do it. I have made progress with using the powertap. The SL version on a mavic open pro rim, was about $1200 at my local bike shop(installed , I am lazy) There are some elite coaches that post on here too. I am not a good resource for cycling training other than a few tips for a newbee, cuz I am one too. Best of luck BW