Share your winter trainer session protocols here:

shawndoggy

Oct 17, 2003
Through at least the end of January, my focus will be on bringing up my FTP. I'm doing the following trainer workouts:

1. 1x40 @ 90-95% FTP
2. 2x20 @ 95% FTP
3. 3x20 @ 90-95% FTP
4. 1x60 @ 85-90% FTP

Thoughts? What are you doing?

Here's one that I've used in the past:

5' w/u
20' @ 95-100% of current functional threshold power
5' easy (level 1)
2 x (5' @ 115-120%@ of current functional threshold power, 2.5' easy)
4 x (0.5' @ 150-175% of current functional threshold power, 2' easy)
5' w/d

I think of this as my "90-90-90 maintenance workout", since the power outputs during each effort are ~90% of my in-season best for that duration. I like it because it is challenging enough to enable me to maintain some semblance of fitness through the winter (when done 2x/wk plus weekend riding), but not so hard that I ever dread doing it.

Now if you're specifically looking for level 4 sessions, here's one that you might wish to try, if only to add a little variety:

5' w/u
8 x (5' @ 105% of current functional threshold power, 1' easy)
5' (or 10', if you're compulsive about filling up a full hour, like I tend to be :) ) w/d

The above is especially good if you're a TTer/triathlete, as you can do the 5' efforts in the aero position, then sit up for some crotch relief during the 1' breaks.

shawndoggy said:
Thoughts?

i'd rather ride the road (yeah i know not everyone can in winter).

one of the sessions i don't mind doing on the trainer is

WU 5-mins (check calibration, get comfy, sort music, etc)
30-mins @ zone 1
5-mins easy
30 mins of 4mins @ 90% FT, 30-secs @ MAP, 30-secs @ <100 W
5-mins easy
15-mins @ zone 2
5-mins easy
then up to 10 x 30-secs on @ MAP, 30-secs off (<100 W)
5-mins cool down

personally, i find riding at FT on the trainer the most boring thing ever. if i do FT sessions indoors i do them as 10 x 4-mins, <60-secs recovery between each one

ric

*Air tires on training bike
*Lubricate bike
*Check seat height
* Position fan
* Shoot myself

Seriously I am able to combine road training and indoor. I do short indoor interval training ,usually 20 minutes 80% of my max and long rides on the weekends on the road, but plans go awry and I sometimes only see the trainer for weeks at a time.
I plan to hit 800 calories for 20 minutes on the cateye cyclosimulator this winter,accurate in real terms, no but it is a benchmark for me.
So far my best is 747 calories in 20 mins. and 387 in 10 mins. served up with a lot of sweat and pain.
Doing a climbing ride up to the top of the Smokies tomorrow at 75 degrees F but it won't last as winter is lurking around the bend .

10 mins warm up (<260)
20 mins @ FT (350-370)
10 mins - L3 (300 ish)
20 mins - FT
10 mins - L3
20 mins - FT
10 mins - L3
10 mins warm down (<260)

great way of getting an hour at L4 done I reckon...

I'm focusing on longer rides at lower intensity - 3x ~3hr rides+ 2x ~4hr (one day off, one day 1.5hr active recovery.) One of my difficulties in last year's races was being comfortable and having gas left in the tank for the third hour of racing, so I think an increased volume should help this. It also will probably drive CTL pretty high (though I'm not using PMC to plan my training yet, just for retrospective analysis.)

For November, individual rides typically have differing combinations of:
1 -2hr <= z1
30' - 90' climbing at around 75-85% FTP,
intervals on the flats like 6x 6' @85% FTP and 3x 15' @80%,
plus seated accelerations 3x (3x15" from z2 to max + 2' z1)
or on-offs 10x (15"@135% FTP + 45" z2)

In the coming months, I'll spend more time at and above FTP. Duration will probably peak in Dec/Jan at max 22hr/wk but TSS/wk will peak closer to March/ April. I'll be racing steadily from the first week of March on, but first peak and target races will be in mid-May. Second peak at end of August.

I live where I can train outdoors virtually always, but sometimes choose to use rollers if the weather is wet. Will use the trainer maybe two dozen times.

1x30min at 92% FT
1x15min at 96% FT
1x10min at 100% FT
1x5min at 104% FT

Unlimited rest early in the season, progressing to "no rest" at all later in the season.

Overall IF = .96 (plus self motivated variability of course). Note that FT is really the revised FT, lowered by approx 10% compared to race-fit FT.

Other workouts are more typical of the examples we find on forums.

ric_stern/RST said:
personally, i find riding at FT on the trainer the most boring thing ever. if i do FT sessions indoors i do them as 10 x 4-mins, <60-secs recovery between each one
Interesting comment. I agree with this 100%. That's why I recommend some self motivated (but organized if they like) variability. Could be 2min a bit over, 3 min a bit under for 30min. Or the other day I tried (5-5-5 buildup ever 5) x 2

Mon: 20 min L3->20 min L4->10 min L3->10 min L4
Tue: 60 min upper L3
Thurs: 2 or 3x20 in 60-80 minutes total
Sat: outside x 2.5 hours w/ 4-5 5min hills

I'm interested in this thread, but I see many folks are really posting the frequency of their sessions.

I'd be interested in seeing your sessions, and how many times per week you do them.

Saturday and Monday 3x20 91% FTP, Wednesday 7x2 (L5 1min, L6 45 sec, L7 15 sec, 2min rests at L1)

Mon - easy
Tue, Wed, Thu - 15 min w/u, 90-120 minutes at 80-90% LTP, 5 min w/d is typical with me trying to extended the time (trying to get to 150-180 minutes at close to 90%). Tuesday will be 90%, the following days perhaps less due to residual fatigue
Fri - easy or nothing
Sat - group ride; it's a small group so it's plenty of L3 to L5 time, TSS usually around 200 so perhaps a little more L2/L3 riding afterwards
Sun - smaller group "recovery" ride whch entails around 2 hours of low-mid L3

I'll shortly be replacing the Tuesday L3 tempo workout with a L5 or L6 workout due to the early racing season start.

Jump on the trainer, 1x90min @ 90% FTP, 2mins cool down. Job done.

Rest intervals are for wimps! :p

Markster said:
Jump on the trainer, 1x90min @ 90% FTP, 2mins cool down. Job done.

Rest intervals are for wimps! :p
I'd love it if every race I did was just a question of riding at 90% of FTP for 90 mins....

do you not think you get more out of doing say 3 x 20 @ 105% of FTP? do you think spending lots of time under FTP will help you raise it more than spending time over FTP?

I have to do intervals as much to vary things to alleviate boredom as anything else to be honest.

ric_stern/RST said:
I've found the same thing, not just personally but with most clients as well. I've tried to prescribe "trainer friendly" workouts, that tend to have the following characteristics:

- Generally an hour or less
- Include recovery intervals that facilitate toweling off, getting another drink, changing music/video, etc, getting off the saddle.
- Include changes in the riding itself at least every 5 minutes. You can change cadence, intensity...much like your 4 minute "on", 60s off intervals, I use a lot of 5/1 threshold type stuff, sometimes with varying cadence just to alleviate boredom.

Despite living in the northeast US (cold, wet winters) for most of my riding career, I didn't really effectively use the trainer until I got a powermeter. I'm pretty good at riding outside in all weather though.

I'm not sure how popular "spin classes" are over in the UK, but I think part of their popularity in the US (even with "serious" cyclists) is that they incorporate changes every couple minutes to keep the athletes mentally engaged and interested. There is also the group social dynamic, which can help trainer-phobic riders still get in a quality workout.

BullGod said:
do you not think you get more out of doing say 3 x 20 @ 105% of FTP?

Hmm. For me, 1 x 20 min @ 105% of my functional threshold power is an all-out effort, so I can't imagine doing two more of 'em (although some people probably could, at least given sufficient R&R between efforts).

jbvcoaching said:
I've found the same thing, not just personally but with most clients as well. I've tried to prescribe "trainer friendly" workouts, that tend to have the following characteristics:

many of the clients i coach don't mind tough, continuous zone 4 sessions (some do).

- Include changes in the riding itself at least every 5 minutes. You can change cadence, intensity...much like your 4 minute "on", 60s off intervals, I use a lot of 5/1 threshold type stuff, sometimes with varying cadence just to alleviate boredom.

i do that too! i have a cadence session as well, which while it doesn't specifically do anything as a fitness tool, allows people to get through an hour or more on the trainer.

Despite living in the northeast US (cold, wet winters) for most of my riding career, I didn't really effectively use the trainer until I got a powermeter. I'm pretty good at riding outside in all weather though.

some years i focus on the trainer, and others i don't. the last two years have been very road orientated.

I'm not sure how popular "spin classes" are over in the UK, but I think part of their popularity in the US (even with "serious" cyclists) is that they incorporate changes every couple minutes to keep the athletes mentally engaged and interested. There is also the group social dynamic, which can help trainer-phobic riders still get in a quality workout.

not sure that many "serious" cyclists use these classes (here). of the people i coach stateside only one person uses spin classes.

ric

acoggan said:
Hmm. For me, 1 x 20 min @ 105% of my functional threshold power is an all-out effort, so I can't imagine doing two more of 'em (although some people probably could, at least given sufficient R&R between efforts).
mistype - meant 2 x 20

I'll give 3 x 20 @ 105 a try when I finally stop catching colds. I often do 3 x 20 @ FTP with 10 min "rest" intervals @ 250w in between and this isn't so knackering.....

acoggan said:
I tend to find these like Dr. Coggan does on the trainer. For me, 105% of FTP for a 20 min indoor session is a maximal effort. Whereas outside, I can do 110% of FTP for 20 minutes as a very hard, but not quite maximal effort.

Lucy_Aspenwind said:
I tend to find these like Dr. Coggan does on the trainer. For me, 105% of FTP for a 20 min indoor session is a maximal effort. Whereas outside, I can do 110% of FTP for 20 minutes as a very hard, but not quite maximal effort.

Uh, point of clarification: 20 min at 105% of functional threshold power is a maximal effort for me regardless of whether I'm indoors or outdoors. In fact, I think I'd find it just a tad easier indoors (unless you gave me a steady 4-6% grade and some friends to race against).