Shared paths with dividing kerb!

Peter Fox

Guest
Essex CC are proposing shared paths with central kerbs. Imagine a pavement(peds) by the side of a
tiny road(bikes).

Sounds expensive, dangerous and unnecessary. Has anyone had experience of these?

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded 2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
[email protected] Witham Cycling Campaign www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm

Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote: ( Essex CC are proposing shared paths with central kerbs.
Imagine a ) pavement(peds) by the side of a tiny road(bikes). ( ) Sounds expensive, dangerous and
unnecessary. Has anyone had experience ( of these?

Yes. Oxford has acquired some central kerbs which are kerbstones laid on their sides. The effect
looks terrifying, because if you do have to cross the kerb it will be at a shallow angle and the
effect looks as though it might be like trying to mount an inadequately dropped kerb at a
shallow angle.

That having been said, I have been forced into crossing a central kerb at speed and survived.

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:23:59 +0000, Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

>Essex CC are proposing shared paths with central kerbs. Imagine a pavement(peds) by the side of a
>tiny road(bikes).
>
>Sounds expensive, dangerous and unnecessary. Has anyone had experience of these?

Yes. Hants CC have installed such a device on a shared path over the
M27. The route is unlit and incredibly dark at night.

Having the raised kerb on one side of the cycleway and the road on the other does wonders for the
concentration.

I use the road. Regards,

John

> Essex CC are proposing shared paths with central kerbs. Imagine a pavement(peds) by the side of a
> tiny road(bikes).
>
> Sounds expensive, dangerous and unnecessary. Has anyone had experience of these?

The Stevenage bike path network has had such a thing for more than half a century, and I think
Harlow has as well.

The whole point of such things is to prevent them being "shared paths", but to separate road from
pavement. They certainly don't always work, but maybe they are better than just a white line The
kerbs in Stevenage are easier to go up and down than the kerb on a normal pavement, and not so high.
The standard for Stevenage paths is a 12' wide "roadway" and an 8' wide pavement, but I think quite
a few are substandard

Jeremy Parker

"Jeremy Parker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Essex CC are proposing shared paths with central kerbs. Imagine a pavement(peds) by the side of
> > a tiny road(bikes).
> >
> > Sounds expensive, dangerous and unnecessary. Has anyone had experience of these?
> >
> The Stevenage bike path network has had such a thing for more than half a century, and I think
> Harlow has as well.
>
> The whole point of such things is to prevent them being "shared paths", but to separate road from
> pavement. They certainly don't always work, but maybe they are better than just a white line

They can be dangerous. One evening I was barrelling along at 20 mph downhill with an on road cycle
lane on my left, which I wasn't using. A bit further on, I decided to get into the lane as it
avoided an upcoming roundabout and used a route barred to motor traffic. Luckily as I moved over to
the left, I just about saw that it had now become an off road path and I was heading straight into
the kerb at a very shallow angle!

Peter Fox <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Essex CC
Is that Essex County Council or Essex Cycling Club?

> are proposing shared paths
Oh God! Surely no Cycling Club could be _that_ brain dead? It must be the County Council.

> with central kerbs. Imagine a pavement(peds) by the side of a tiny road(bikes).
>
> Sounds expensive, dangerous and unnecessary. Has anyone had experience of these?

Sound scrap.

Blole on a Bike (The biker at the gates of dawn)