sharper braking

ouzo

Oct 31, 2001
I've tried a coupl of diferent brake pads, but alwyas have the same result, my bike doesnt brake sharp. Tried replacing the cables and casings, same thing. The only thing left is to do something to the rims. but I dont want to bugger them up, what can I do ?

this worries me, as when I ride at high speed I know there is no way I'm gonna stop intime for anything. My mountain bike stops on a dime.

Originally posted by ouzo
I've tried a coupl of diferent brake pads, but alwyas have the same result, my bike doesnt brake sharp. Tried replacing the cables and casings, same thing. The only thing left is to do something to the rims. but I dont want to bugger them up, what can I do ?

this worries me, as when I ride at high speed I know there is no way I'm gonna stop intime for anything. My mountain bike stops on a dime.
Clean up the rims with green Scotchbrite and alcohol. The alcohol is not a equirement,but if you drink it the job may be less of a drudge.

Sounds really obvious but I had the same issue until I had the rims straightened as there was a couple of light buckles in them.

Also, ouzo, you might consider that your road rims just aren't as effective a braking surface as your mtb rims are, since it seems that comparison is driving your concern a little. Maybe they aren't as heavily machined.

I think everyone else here is right -- getting the rim clean and true, as well as keeping your pads fresh, is important -- but after that, provided your calipers are properly dialed, you're at the mercy of your braking surface.

Originally posted by ouzo

If the calipers are CODA, that might be part of it too. Does the mtb go as fast as the road bike? If V brakes on the mtb,thay are almost always more effective.

Originally posted by boudreaux
If the calipers are CODA, that might be part of it too.
Truer words have not been spoken! :D

My road bike has Cannondale Expert dual pivot brakes, and they are utterly pathetic. They provide an initial level of braking, and then the calipers just start flexing and don't transfer any more pressure on the wheel...

This reminds me actually, I have to go buy new brake calipers sometime soon. ;)

thanks guys, I think the cleaning with alcohol (what a waste) is what I'll try first.

I dont think that I'm being unreasonable W.R.T. the stopping power, hell even from as slow at 30 km/h I worried about stopping. I cant even lock up the rear wheel (was very easy on my alpina). The braking surface does look like it needs cleaning though, so will try this.