shave or wax?

n_sumo23

May 13, 2006
for those of you that do it what do your prefer? shaving your legs or waxing them?

n_sumo23 said:
for those of you that do it what do your prefer? shaving your legs or waxing them?

Shaving is my perfered method. Found waxing to be ineffective and far to messy

n_sumo23 said:
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about using "hair remover". Shaving every second day or so is not a plan for me. Anyone else use hair remover?:confused:

I shave. Thought about the other options but seems too much a hassle. I can get away with twice a week and that works well for me. I too would have a hard time with every other day. If it came to that yeah, I would look at a hair removal system too.

Shave.
Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone recommend a product that helps prevent ingrown hairs? I seem to get them on the back of the thigh.

Lepanini said:
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about using "hair remover". Shaving every second day or so is not a plan for me. Anyone else use hair remover?:confused:

I have tried a couple of those hair removal foams and to be honest I think they are a complete rip off.

They did not remove even a 1/3 of the hair on the second application.

Once you get use to it shaving only takes a couple of min. :)

n_sumo23 said:
Well, i use my clippers first of course.

Then a real razor.....

i dont do it that often, so when i do i wanna do a good job. Ive had good working experiences with NAIR, but i got a chemical burn once for leaving it on too long and rubbing it off, that wasnt fun.

Friend of mine says he just uses clippers to get it close quickly but without the effort/time of shaving all the way.

Consider laser hair removal, its permanent. Or develope diabetes and/or get an orchiectomy and you'll lose the hair:)

jcjordan said:
I have tried a couple of those hair removal foams and to be honest I think they are a complete rip off.

They did not remove even a 1/3 of the hair on the second application.

Once you get use to it shaving only takes a couple of min. :)
I think I will try the shaving and see how my body reacts. If I have to do it only twice a week then it's okay!:D

cPritch67 said:
Shave.
Not to hijack this thread, but can anyone recommend a product that helps prevent ingrown hairs? I seem to get them on the back of the thigh.
When I get in-grown hairs I just take a tweezers and dig them out. It can hurt like hell at times but it's the most effective I think. Just be sure that once you remove the hair(s) that you push at the area(s) like you would a pimple to prevent infection. There might be leaking that will cause that.

To topic - I used to have my legs waxed but now I don't. I prefered the wax as much as it hurt especially near the crotch. I think it's my somewhat fear of sharp objects like the razor against my skin. Ack! :eek:

My girlfriend was actually the one that suggested the Shick intuition razor and I must say, I love it.

The entire thing is self contained in that it has shave lotion and mosturizing lotion all in a little cartridge that surrounds the blade.

I use it to shave in the shower. All you do is wet the cartridge and shave. It takes about 30 seconds to do the legs.

Only downside is the cartridges can get expensive.

I take it that you people are talking about shaving/waxing for more aerodynamic legs for cycling racing?

I think it's crazy that people who are not paid to bike are doing this, if that's what this thread is about. I prefer to look like a man, thank you very much, and shaving legs for those extra 2 seconds is just ridiculous.

ABG said:
I take it that you people are talking about shaving/waxing for more aerodynamic legs for cycling racing?

I think it's crazy that people who are not paid to bike are doing this, if that's what this thread is about. I prefer to look like a man, thank you very much, and shaving legs for those extra 2 seconds is just ridiculous.
Thank you for that very manly and unenlightend input. You are indeed very manly. Shaving has absolutely nothing to do with aerodynamics. It is mostly done out of a sense of tradition and a sort of "rite of passage" for cyclists. Kind of like a secret handshake. You will hear a myriad of reasons why we do it such as:
- makes massage easier (most of us don't take massage enough to justify the hassle)
- easier to clean up and maintain after a crash (true but probably still not enough justification in most cases)

The real reason is vanity. We like the way it looks and so do most of our spouses/girlfriends/boyfriends(NTTAWWT). ;)

If it's not your thing, that's cool. Don't bust on me for shaving and I won't bust on you for looking like an ape on a bike with all that hair everywhere.....

ABG said:

to further echo the other posters comment, it's not about being aero.

i do it so when i crash, it's easier to clean the wounds. if i crash on gravel, a squirt of the water bottle gets the dirt out. if i have my hairy legs, stuff stays in the wound. it's also easier to pull the bandages off

what's the point of your post? why would you waste your time posting to this if you think it's so ridiculous?

ABG said:

I prefer waxing put it gets too expensive. The schick intuition razors rock. As for why I do it, I like it. I'm not doing it for the extra time, or the fact of cleaning after a crash, luckily haven't had that happen yet. I think it looks better, and feels better, especially if you go all the way to the waist. Not only that but the wife likes it, and that's really all that matters.
Trust me, I take alot of **** for it too from family and friends, but at 6' and 260lbs most other people don't say a word.

I shave. Since the only leg razors are womens, I use the Venus razor. I touch up my shave every time I take a bath, and I don't have to use shaving cream. That's the way I did it, but I just started 7 weeks ago?

People don't even notice that I'm a guy with shaved legs everywhere I go.