Shaved Legs (again) & crashes

Jens Kurt Heyck

Guest
After a big crash in a recent road race, I found that the lower part of my leg, which was shaven,
sustained only a minor, razor-burn scrape. My unshaven thigh, on the other hand got about 12 inches
of really nasty road rash.

There are a few possible conclusions to draw from this:

1) Shaving can reduce the severity of scrapes

2) Some hitherto unknown natural law causes one to fall more heavily on parts of the body that have
more hair.

I lean toward conclusion #2. Ever notice how people usually fall on their asses? Now you know why.
This is similar to the buttered bread and cat principles. (For a discussion of this, see:

http://www.team.net/html_arc/chapman-era/199707/msg00001.html )

We can take advantage of this "hair principle" by shaving hair from the most delicate, prized parts
of our bodies and stimulating hair growth on the sturdier bits. Sheldon Brown, who knows more than
the rest of us combined, has clearly embarked on this project already. Sheldon, are you applying
Rogaine to the soles of your feet too?

--j

"Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...

> After a big crash in a recent road race, I found that the lower part of my leg, which was shaven,
> sustained only a minor, razor-burn scrape. My unshaven thigh, on the other hand got about 12
> inches of really nasty road rash.
>
> There are a few possible conclusions to draw from this:
>
> 1) Shaving can reduce the severity of scrapes
>
> 2) Some hitherto unknown natural law causes one to fall more heavily on parts of the body that
> have more hair.
>
> I lean toward conclusion #2. Ever notice how people usually fall on their asses? Now you know why.
> This is similar to the buttered bread and cat principles. (For a discussion of this, see:
>
> http://www.team.net/html_arc/chapman-era/199707/msg00001.html )
>
> We can take advantage of this "hair principle" by shaving hair from the most delicate, prized
> parts of our bodies and stimulating hair growth on the sturdier bits. Sheldon Brown, who knows
> more than the rest of us combined, has clearly embarked on this project already. Sheldon, are you
> applying Rogaine to the soles of your feet too?

Well, the bottom can handle a lot more impact than the shoulder and collarbone. If I'm going down, I
do whatever it takes to land on the cushiest part of my body. Fortunately for me, I haven't got any
hair on my bum. I do shave my upper legs, even though it doesn't show. With some shorts, a few long
hairs would poke through, and boy does that look gross! John Rees

What is this "buttered cat" prinicple? I've heard of greased pigs and tarred-n-feathered humans but
buttered cats?

Please elaborate.

App

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:53:53 -0700, Appkiller did issue forth:

> What is this "buttered cat" prinicple? I've heard of greased pigs and tarred-n-feathered humans
> but buttered cats?
>
> Please elaborate.
>
> App

It's a form of perpetual motion device. Since cats always land on their feet, and toast always lands
butter-side down, all you need is some toast strapped to a cat's back, throw it off something, and
it'll hover above the ground.

The humming sound that people claim to have heard from some UFOs is actually due to the purring of
several hundred tabbies that the aliens use in the buttered-cat array that powers their ship.

Huw "I read it on the internet, it must be true" Pritchard

"Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected]>...
> After a big crash in a recent road race, I found that the lower part of my leg, which was shaven,
> sustained only a minor, razor-burn scrape. My unshaven thigh, on the other hand got about 12
> inches of really nasty road rash.
>
> There are a few possible conclusions to draw from this:
>
> 1) Shaving can reduce the severity of scrapes

Shaving definitely reduces friction for massage, so it's not inconceivable that it might reduce
friction with the pavement. But something has to slow you down. Maybe that's where your hairy thigh
came into play.

JP

The reason for the difference in the injury is clear. The shaved part was smooth and and slippery so
it glided on the pavement. The unshaved part was rough and got caught on the pavement and caused all
the damage.

This is irrefutable empirical evidence in favor of shaving that nobody will be able to question.
Haven't you seen Sheldon's new style, surely done for this same reason, I am now realizing.

Andres

"Jens Kurt Heycke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected]>...
> After a big crash in a recent road race, I found that the lower part of my leg, which was shaven,
> sustained only a minor, razor-burn scrape. My unshaven thigh, on the other hand got about 12
> inches of really nasty road rash.
>
> There are a few possible conclusions to draw from this:
>
> 1) Shaving can reduce the severity of scrapes
>
> 2) Some hitherto unknown natural law causes one to fall more heavily on parts of the body that
> have more hair.
>
> I lean toward conclusion #2. Ever notice how people usually fall on their asses? Now you know why.
> This is similar to the buttered bread and cat principles. (For a discussion of this, see:
>
> http://www.team.net/html_arc/chapman-era/199707/msg00001.html )
>
> We can take advantage of this "hair principle" by shaving hair from the most delicate, prized
> parts of our bodies and stimulating hair growth on the sturdier bits. Sheldon Brown, who knows
> more than the rest of us combined, has clearly embarked on this project already. Sheldon, are you
> applying Rogaine to the soles of your feet too?
>

> --j

Originally posted by Andres Muro
The reason for the difference in the injury is clear. The shaved part was smooth and and slippery so
it glided on the pavement. The unshaved part was rough and got caught on the pavement and caused all
the damage.

From www.raspberryroadrash.com -

Coefficient of friction for hirsute appendage on chip seal: .25
Coefficient of friction for shaved appendage on chip seal: .21

Quod Erat Demonstrandum

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:52:21 +0000, Jens Kurt Heycke wrote:

> After a big crash in a recent road race, I found that the lower part of my leg, which was shaven,
> sustained only a minor, razor-burn scrape. My unshaven thigh, on the other hand got about 12
> inches of really nasty road rash.
>
> There are a few possible conclusions to draw from this:
>
> 1) Shaving can reduce the severity of scrapes
>
> 2) Some hitherto unknown natural law causes one to fall more heavily on parts of the body that
> have more hair.

Or, 3) people fall harder where more of their mass is concentrated. Thighs are more closely
connected to the butt...

In about 1972 I crashed badly, and still have scars from it. All right side. Knee, hip, forearm, and
shoulder. Shaving would have impacted only the knee, and there minimally. If someone claims to shave
in order to reduce injury, I want to see their shaved butt and hips. No, scratch that, I do not want
to see that.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | There is always an easy solution to every human problem - neat, _`\(,_ | plausible, and
wrong. --H.L. Mencken (_)/ (_) |

"andres muro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The reason for the difference in the injury is clear. The shaved part was smooth and and slippery
> so it glided on the pavement. The unshaved part was rough and got caught on the pavement and
> caused all the damage.

I thought slicks grip the road better than knobbly legs? Thus causing more friction? <grin>

The Real Lee Casey