Shaved legs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bob, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob

Bob Guest

Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their legs. What is the purpose...

Bob

Tags:

2. Java Man

Java Man Guest

3. Jobst Brandt

Jobst Brandt Guest

4. On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:47:13 +0000, Bob wrote:

> Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their legs. What is the purpose...

So you can look like a pro cyclist. Or a cross-dresser.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Enron's slogan: Respect, Communication, Integrity, and _`\(,_ | Excellence. (_)/ (_) |

5. Mark

Mark Guest

I shave mine so that the pantyhose won't snag.

Bob wrote:
    > Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their legs. What is the purpose...
    >
    > Bob

6. Ari

Ari Guest

yeah I get a little self conscious wheeling my incredibly expensive wunderbike into a shop with my
    hairy legs showing. Goes to show how powerful peer pressure is when not shaving your legs makes you
    feel like an outcast. When did everyone become so high maintenance?

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their
    legs.
    > What is the purpose...
    >
    > Bob

7. "ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > yeah I get a little self conscious wheeling my incredibly expensive wunderbike into a shop with my
    > hairy legs showing. Goes to show how
    powerful
    > peer pressure is when not shaving your legs makes you feel like an
    outcast.
    > When did everyone become so high maintenance?

When they started buying incredibly expensive bikes.

JT

--
    NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit http://www.jt10000.com

8. Bob asks-<< Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their legs. What is the
    purpose... >><BR><BR>

Threads DO reappear regularly, don't they?

Easier to get a good massage, less damage when ya fall, faster healing when ya
    fall...chicks dig it...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

9. Andresmuro

Andresmuro Guest

Shaved legs is sort of a racing cyclist code. They do it because others do it. While cyclist will
    site all kinds of advantages, there are no really big advantages for most, except the elite. Here
    are the main advantages:

Pro cyclists get massages regularly. It is easy to get a massage, or give yourself a massage if you
    don't have too much hair. Yet, I have gotten tons of deep tissue massage with lots of hair in my
    legs w/o problems.

If you fall and get scrapes on your legs, it is suppossed to be easier to clean the wounds and
    remove the road debris is you don't have hair. Yet, people fall all the time and are able to clean
    wounds and stuff even if the have lots of hair.

Hairless legs are more aerodynamic (cowcrap!).

Muscular hairless legs legs look good, showing the vascularity and the hypertonality of of the many
    hours on the bike. This is probably true and relative. i remember once , over a decade ago, I showed
    up to a race and everyone had smooth shaved legs. Mine were hairy and it was really windy. the wind
    would blow the hairs on my calvs and I was totally self-conscious thinking everyone would notice. I
    shaved my legs the next day. I haven't shaved my legs in ages. and when I kick the butts of cyclists
    with shaved legs, who think I am probably not good, it feels kind of good. It is mostly aesthetics
    and style.

Andres

10. Ever contemplated having gravel nailbrushed out of hairy legs? Personally, I used to wax, as it's
    longer between sessions...

legs.
    > What is the purpose...
    >
    > Bob

11. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

I figure, as long as I'm shaving my chest, back, and ass... might as well do the legs too. Don't forget the top of your feet.

12. John Everett

John Everett Guest

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:47:13 GMT, "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their legs. What is the purpose...

What follows I posted to rec.bicycles.racing in 1996:

"Years ago a fellow programmer explained to me why he always wore a tie to work, in spite of the
    fact no one else did. He said, "These things serve no useful purpose, but they do make a statement.
    They say, 'I take myself seriously.'". I shave for the same reason, and that's the story I always
    tell non-cyclists."

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

13. Terry Morse

Terry Morse Guest

Andrew Morris wrote:

> Ever contemplated having gravel nailbrushed out of hairy legs?

Sure, having had a road rash scrubbing in the ER, it's no big deal. They don't even shave you in the
    hospital prior to surgery any more.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/

14. Jay Beattie

Jay Beattie Guest

legs.
    > What is the purpose...

It's a religious thing required by the Koran, or Leviticus -- I can't remember which. --
    Jay Beattie.

15. Ari

Ari Guest

"John Forrest Tomlinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > "ari" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...
    > > yeah I get a little self conscious wheeling my incredibly expensive wunderbike into a shop with
    > > my hairy legs showing. Goes to show how
    > powerful
    > > peer pressure is when not shaving your legs makes you feel like an
    > outcast.
    > > When did everyone become so high maintenance?
    >
    > When they started buying incredibly expensive bikes.

What does that have to do with maintenance? Cheap bikes, fancy bikes, all need regular maintenance.

16. Prometheus

Prometheus Guest

Some of you say that aerodynamics is horsecrap, and scientifically it may be, but you can certainly
    feel the advantage of shaving in other sports. Swimming, for example. I have raced the same event,
    in the same physical shape, shaved and unshaved. Not only does it FEEL faster shaved, but it
    actually is, by a couple tenths, which may not be much, but its the difference between first and
    second. Just remember not to shave your "control surfaces" to use the flight term. Swimmers don't
    shave their forearms, as it provides all the "feel" in your stroke. Certainly the same should be
    true of competitive cyclists. If the hair helps you feel your cadence, then keep some of it, and
    "clip down" with an electric.

-Mike

And I also agree with the chicks dig it factor. John Everett
    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 00:47:13 GMT, "Bob" <c.castawaybob2[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their legs. What is the
    > >purpose...
    >
    > What follows I posted to rec.bicycles.racing in 1996:
    >
    > "Years ago a fellow programmer explained to me why he always wore a tie to work, in spite of the
    > fact no one else did. He said, "These things serve no useful purpose, but they do make a
    > statement. They say, 'I take myself seriously.'". I shave for the same reason, and that's the
    > story I always tell non-cyclists."
    >
    >
    > jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

17. Mark Janeba

Mark Janeba Guest

> "Bob" wrote:
    >>Why should I shave my legs? I heard that the pro cyclists shave their legs. What is the purpose...

One tiny advantage that never seems to get mentioned: I found sunscreen was much easier to apply
    when skin is shaved. That's not enough reason for me, though.

It's mostly a tribalism thing.

--
    Mark Janeba remove antispam phrase in address to reply

18. Robin Hubert

Robin Hubert Guest

I can't stand the idea of shaving my legs when I have enough trouble just keeping my mug clean. I
    also like being a man and, since the essence (at least superficially) of manliness (as opposed to
    femininity) is having alot

depilatorize, or whatever. I'm keeping my hair, and my legs look great anyway!.
    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]

19. On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 20:58:23 +0000, Mark Janeba wrote:

> One tiny advantage that never seems to get mentioned: I found sunscreen was much easier to apply
    > when skin is shaved. That's not enough reason for me, though.

With my legs, there is always enough shade that I don't need sunscreen.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | What is objectionable, and what is dangerous about extremists is _`\(,_ | not that they are
    extreme, but that they are intolerant. (_)/ (_) | --Robert F. Kennedy

20. Matt J

Matt J Guest

Prometheus wrote
    > Some of you say that aerodynamics is horsecrap, and scientifically it may be, but you can
    > certainly feel the advantage of shaving in other sports. Swimming, for example.
    Isn't that hydrodynamics?
    > Swimmers don't shave their forearms, as it provides all the "feel" in your stroke. Certainly the
    > same should be true of competitive cyclists. If the hair helps you feel your cadence, then keep
    > some of it, and "clip down" with an electric.
    It always feels weird when I wear wool socks or leg warmers for a while, then take them off. The
    hairs flap in the breeze or something. Also, I have a friend who's a swimmer and she shaves her arms
    (for one big meet). So does a male swimmer friend of mine. They're high school swimmers... any
    difference? Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.