Shaved or hairy?

Everybody knows its for homoerotic pleasure. But anyhoo, wouldn't a graceful climber look silly dancing up a mountain pass with hairy legs? The smooth leg look does look right for the sport, saying that I don't shave my legs but then again maybe its better to have some natural protection against the elements.

Shaved as of today! Took forever just to get through the hair and then i had to get through the stubbley bits. Hopefully next time it will be quicker.
Anyway, The only reason i did it was one of the guys said i'd be going 5ks faster... Im not, but i feel faster and more professional like. Oh yeh, and because theres no hair your legs dont get as gritty/dirty when you ride with sunscreen on.

Courtancer said:
I can't believe the excuses males come up with to shave their legs. The wind resistance is going to make absolutely no difference at all unless you're an olympic sprinter. The excuse about gravel rash is a bit weak. I've heard people say that it is easier to avoid infection of you crash. Considering you would have to shave a couple of times a week, are you planning to fall off your bike every day? If you clean it properly there's not much chance of infection. Its better for a massage... Possibly but is a once a month massage worth the month of shaving?
I would just like to hear the real reasons why men shave their legs. e.g. Does it feel good, look good, etc. I know the various reasons why women shave their legs and I prefer shaved to hairy.
A mate claims to do it mainly to look the part.

I shave approximately every 2-3 days. I had extremely hairy legs it didn't look good so the first shot i had at shaving them i did, which was when i entered cycling plus the store clerk said chicks dig it so i was like hell yeah. I don't mind what friends think, besides only a few made some cracks which happened to be "gangstas" but it was nothing a few comebacks can handle. Only a few things irritate me about shaving which are: the thigh burn which in tolerable, it's just the annoyance of having to do it as much as your face almost. So this is why i'm thinking of making the leap to waxing on top of the fact that it eliminates ingrown hairs. I want some input from you waxers out there. How many more days do your legs not grow compared to with a shaver? Because if i'm going to pay the extra buck for waxing i want to make sure it's well worth it. I know with girls it works better, but question is: is it the same for men?

Wash, Lotion, Shave, Wash, Lotion = No Razor Burn!

Just started using this technique and I have not had any razor burn....

Also, How far up does everyone go? lol

Becky_Aus said:
Definitely not hairy. I wax (lasts far longer than shaving) not to enhance my cycling performance but because I'm a girl, and to not do so would be gross :p
Well... I think hairy girls are sexy! Kidding.

I'm going to go shave right now... as we speak. Wow. I wonder what all the other fellas will think.

why do i shave? How else am i supposed to show off my ripped calves.
also, everyone else does it plus the gel rubber thinks on the bottum of my shorts ripped my hair out and i would look like as ass with a shaved ring around my lower thigh so at first i naired (nair for men) cause it was long and just easier. but now i just shave it. i do get razor burn bad but 90% of it goes away in 2 hours.

Hmmm. Is there really much of a point to it? I've been swimming for a while now (though only rarely competitively), and most swimmers only shave for competitions, whereas cyclists seem to be shaven all of the time. I can't see why, because it's a pain to do, and air is alot less viscous than water, so it seems you'd really not know the difference anyway.
That being said I only shave every once in a long while (last time was well over a month ago) so generally, yeah usually hairy.

3speeder said:
Hmmm. Is there really much of a point to it? I've been swimming for a while now (though only rarely competitively), and most swimmers only shave for competitions, whereas cyclists seem to be shaven all of the time. I can't see why, because it's a pain to do, and air is alot less viscous than water, so it seems you'd really not know the difference anyway.
That being said I only shave every once in a long while (last time was well over a month ago) so generally, yeah usually hairy.
I can see where you're coming from on the whole "shaving doesn't benefit you." I swam for five years (competitively, in High School and beyond) before I stopped. I shaved my legs/body atleast once in each of those years, and after a season of being hairy? It seemed to be benefit me when there was none of that "resistance".

Anyways, on to my point. I read this thread from the top to the bottom and noted everyones reasons for shaving their legs, etc. What I found more of a reason to shave then anything was wiping out and being able to clean **** off of your legs/body easier. It just seemed beneficial to me since I'm new to cycling and will obviously fall (I layed it down the day after I shaved). I guess is what I'm trying to say is, that not as many cyclists shave their legs to race, but shave them for other reason. Not only do they shave it to prevent infection or save time on cleaning up after dirty rides, but it also shows maturity and respect for the sport. Both past and present...

Becky_Aus said:
Definitely not hairy. I wax (lasts far longer than shaving) not to enhance my cycling performance but because I'm a girl, and to not do so would be gross :p

chicks have higher pain threshold then guys.... my legs are so hairy im sure id loose skin :eek: ...man that would kill lol

Xyclone said:
OUCH! I'm planning to trim (not to shave) my leg hairs. :D
I see that your screenname is xyclone...another way to say cyclone i assume...do you go to Iowa State University(cyclones)?

If not, oh well, if so, i go there too, and was wondering if you're on the cycling team at ISU

Sorry, but shaving your legs is for women only. I'm guessing cyclists do it for the look more than anything else. It seems rather gay to me...

PartisanRanger said:
Sorry, but shaving your legs is for women only. I'm guessing cyclists do it for the look more than anything else. It seems rather gay to me...

Excusme, Where does it says it's only for women?, It's a rule or some thing?, sorry, I'm not in that club. I'm sincere, I do it for the looks.....I like my legs a lot.

It seems rather gay to me making opinions about others being "gay". Why "gay" it's the first thing you think?....

GERARDO said:
Excusme, Where does it says it's only for women?, It's a rule or some thing?, sorry, I'm not in that club. I'm sincere, I do it for the looks.....I like my legs a lot.

It seems rather gay to me making opinions about others being "gay". Why "gay" it's the first thing you think?....
Because caring how your legs look isn't a straight thing to do.

PartisanRanger said:
Because caring how your legs look isn't a straight thing to do.

AGAIN: Who stablished that rule?, Where does it says that?, Is there a book where I can find that, who act gay and who act straight??.....Did you notice that a lot of straight man act so gay (in your words) nowadays and that doesn't mean they are?.

AND AGAIN: I found quite interesting that the first thing in your mind is the word "gay", Why not "vain" instead?....

Anyway, none of these words are an offense to me.

GERARDO said:
AGAIN: Who stablished that rule?, Where does it says that?, Is there a book where I can find that, who act gay and who act straight??.....Did you notice that a lot of straight man act so gay (in your words) nowadays and that doesn't mean they are?.

AND AGAIN: I found quite interesting that the first thing in your mind is the word "gay", Why not "vain" instead?....

Anyway, none of these words are an offense to me.
I established the rule, it's gay because I said so. Happy?

PartisanRanger said:
I established the rule, it's gay because I said so. Happy?

Interesting......And who are you?....I'm always happy by the way, thanks.