Shaved or hairy?

I shave my legs simple reason is it's easier to clean up road rash and other injuries and i know from experience when i first started out i fell off i tell you it was painful trying to clean the wounds with hairs in the way second time after i shaved my legs i got hit by a car and had to have stitches in my leg as well as having my face reconstructed but thats another story, as well as having road rash and without hairs in the way everything was a lot easier

I got a electric razor for x-mas this past year......it works wonders! No razor burn and a very close shave

Future-pro said:
I shave my legs simple reason is it's easier to clean up road rash and other injuries and i know from experience when i first started out i fell off i tell you it was painful trying to clean the wounds with hairs in the way second time after i shaved my legs i got hit by a car and had to have stitches in my leg as well as having my face reconstructed but thats another story, as well as having road rash and without hairs in the way everything was a lot easier
another way that helps with cleaning up road rash is not falling off. . .:)

Waxing will keep your legs hairless for up to 3 weeks. When I went in for a wax I had the hottest blonde chick doing it for me...it was a great experience...it is pricey though.

As far as reasons for shaving go, wounds are easier to clean up and you don't get dirt and grime building up on your legs.

As for mtb'ing, I do it because ticks like to grab onto hair and that just pretty much grosses me out :mad:. Those little ba$tards are nasty.

Oh, and in a trip to the emergency room the dr. said, as he was tweezing dirty hairs out of bloody flaps of skin all up and down my legs, "this would be a lot easier if you shaved like the rest of them..." I endo'ed my mtb doing about 35 mph and got a concussion and abrasions over the entire right side of my body...

At any rate, after that experience, I shave.:D

SpecializedWRX said:
Waxing will keep your legs hairless for up to 3 weeks. When I went in for a wax I had the hottest blonde chick doing it for me...it was a great experience...it is pricey though.

As far as reasons for shaving go, wounds are easier to clean up and you don't get dirt and grime building up on your legs.

As for mtb'ing, I do it because ticks like to grab onto hair and that just pretty much grosses me out :mad:. Those little ba$tards are nasty.

Oh, and in a trip to the emergency room the dr. said, as he was tweezing dirty hairs out of bloody flaps of skin all up and down my legs, "this would be a lot easier if you shaved like the rest of them..." I endo'ed my mtb doing about 35 mph and got a concussion and abrasions over the entire right side of my body...

At any rate, after that experience, I shave.:D

It took a actual crash and a ER room visit for me to finally give in and shave

KeSs said:
It took a actual crash and a ER room visit for me to finally give in and shave
yea, pretty much. It just didn't even dawn on me at the time because i wasn't really exposed to the road cycling aspect at the time...now that i do both, its just a matter of habit now even if i am putting in WAY more miles and time on my road bike.

EVERYONE WANT TO KNOW THE REASON TO SHAVE!?! i love cycling as I know all of you do, since you are reading this. For 100 years cyclist have been shaving their legs and I love the sport just that much to keep the tradition going, but for those rebels out there that want to branch out thats fine, but it's a tradition that I will up hold.

I wax, I can't be bothered to shave twice a week and have razor burn (I get it bad on my legs, ive never had it on my face.... go figure).

I was playing ultimate frizbee with my youth group (in shorts, obviously), and no one noitced, and even my friend who I gave a ride home to didn't notice until I brought up the topic of cycling... And I had very hairy legs before, so I don't even know how that's possible.

As for reasons: I tell people the "road rash" reason, but, like most cyclists, it's because it's just tradition of the sport, and besided, I'm sure not going out in lycra shorts with hairy legs.

And am I concerned if people think I'm worrying too much about my legs for a guy, let's just say that maybe it just doesn't bother the rest of us because we're not insecure :p and besides, I hear the ladies like it..... and it shows of muscles better

And if you look at a lot of the guys here who don't shave, I'm usre you would find a lot of them are MTB, although I couldn't care less if there are a lot of road bikers who don't shave.

JJakucyk said:
What do you use, or do you have to go somewhere to have it done, and how long does it last?
Lasts about 3 weeks (longer after you do it for a while)....

Prolly the best thing is to go buy the wax strips (make sure theyre good for men too-- wome hair removal products are way too weak for men). Having it done professionally is way too expensive to do it regularly (unless you're filthy rich, in which case, I'm sure it's easier and faster).

I've been riding for less than a month now and I just shaved my legs for the first time a few days ago.

Sure, there are the reasons you tell others, road-rash, massage, cleaner sun-screen application, to stop the hair on my left leg from getting pinched between my seat tube and rear brake cable housing... uh, I may be alone on that last one.

But the real reason I did it was for the commitment factor. I have been getting my ass kicked on a regular basis when I go out for rides, especially when the grade picks up. Shaving my legs is a way for me to dig that little bit deeper because I don't want to look like a shiny-legged poseur who can't climb the local hills (13km 7.9% slogs).

For some people it's a rite of passage; a way of feeling connected to the cycling community around them.

I am a little dissapointed that I seem to have shaved my tan off though, who knew it was just leg hair shadow? Oh well, a few more rides in this weather should solve that.

fiend said:
But the real reason I did it was for the commitment factor. I have been getting my ass kicked on a regular basis when I go out for rides, especially when the grade picks up. Shaving my legs is a way for me to dig that little bit deeper because I don't want to look like a shiny-legged poseur who can't climb the local hills (13km 7.9% slogs).
I'm amazed at how often athletes underestimate the poer and importance of mental motivation, and mental strength. Running competitively, there were guys no thinner and no stronger than me blowing past me. That is, until I realized that it's a mental game less than a physical one (cycling is a bit more physical, but all in all, mental power is still extremely important). I'm glad to see other people are realizing this too.

fiend said:
I am a little dissapointed that I seem to have shaved my tan off though, who knew it was just leg hair shadow? Oh well, a few more rides in this weather should solve that.
Hey, just think of it like this:
you're been lying to yourself up to this point, trying to convince yourself you had a good leg tan. Now you can stop lying to yourself, and actually get a good leg tan :p

Boy, you should see my tan lines

yeah, my gf makes fun of my tan lines. btw, waxing is much better if you can find the time once a month to do it.

Arathald said:
I'm amazed at how often athletes underestimate the poer and importance of mental motivation, and mental strength. Running competitively, there were guys no thinner and no stronger than me blowing past me. That is, until I realized that it's a mental game less than a physical one (cycling is a bit more physical, but all in all, mental power is still extremely important). I'm glad to see other people are realizing this too.
Well accually its the other way around :p Cycling is much more mental whereas sprinting is more genetic. Some people are born with fast twich muscles and others with slow twich. That is why some people can blow by others in sprints. Although power and conditioning are both very strong factors. And I agree 100% that mental motivation and strength are super important. IMO motivation is the biggest. Someone can be as mentaly strong as they like but if you don't ride enough/hard enough then they wont go very far.

My girlfriend said she would leave me if i shaved my legs, i know she was joking, but that is reason enough for me to keep it all natural:D

Duracellis said:
Well accually its the other way around :p Cycling is much more mental whereas sprinting is more genetic. Some people are born with fast twich muscles and others with slow twich. That is why some people can blow by others in sprints. Although power and conditioning are both very strong factors. And I agree 100% that mental motivation and strength are super important. IMO motivation is the biggest. Someone can be as mentaly strong as they like but if you don't ride enough/hard enough then they wont go very far.
I was only referring to endurance, not sprinting. Even when I had a lot of extra deadweight, I've always been able to beat my coach at an all-out sprint, even before the mental discipline -- my claim to fame in Cross Country is that I NEVER got beat out in the last 400 meters (about 1/4 mile) of a race. Unfortunately, usually I was a bit further behind than I would have liked to be, ebcause I wasn't so good at the rest of the race.