Shaved or unshaved?

I race, I train hard. I shave. As I type this I have a week of growth on my face and like 14 days on my legs.... I'm on an off week right now, so I'm letting it grow a little past the stubby stage. It makes shaving harder the next time, but I feel it helps the skin and prevents ingrown hairs. I dunno. Its also laziness... Right after xmas I start training full-on again so i'll be shaving them again then. Here are my reasons:

*Shows you as part of the "club"
*Road Rash
*Sweat Evaporation
*Looks
*My girlfriend is on the women's counterpart of my team - she likes it.
*Lycra is more comfortable.

Not in that order... Primarily its for the Lyrca. If i'm hairy, the hair tends to poke through shorts (esp cheap ones) and leg warmers. It doesn't hurt at first, but after you move around a bit the hair sticks out of te lycra and then every time your muscles flex or move it rips on the hair. Not fun.

Someone earlier noted that shavers are in the minority. Thats true, but even I'll admit shaving isn't really required unless you are a roadie racer. Not just a rec cyclist, you probably aren't going to fall on a comfortable ride, but on a fast group ride you could. SO it is not worth it for those people. (unless your hair is like mine with the lyrca - about 30% of people I know that shave do it for that reason, the others aren't bothered by it). The question is, of all the people who shave or don't in this poll how many non road racers are there? I've seen quite a few mountain bikers reply as well as non racers, and non racers tend to outnumber racers on this board - THAT is why shaving is the minority. If you are serious about racing and winning, chances are VERY, VERY good that you shave (I would say even Men's C in NCCA 90% of guys shave). I don't care if people don't though, one of the best riders on my team only shaves before races, so far I've only seen him as a hairy beast... LOL - he kicks my ass though.

When riding in a bunch with unfamilar riders you are always very careful around riders with hairy legs. The ones with the hairy legs are the ones most likely to do something stupid that will cause a crash.

xbgs351 said:
When riding in a bunch with unfamilar riders you are always very careful around riders with hairy legs. The ones with the hairy legs are the ones most likely to do something stupid that will cause a crash.

I'll take an experienced, seasoned rider who couldn't care less about going with the crowd than a shaved pretender any day.

Kevin Gilmore

We all have this kind of cycling buddy, don't we? Schedule a ride days in advance... the morning of the ride arrives -- you call him -- he's still in bed.

Excuses: "dude, it's too early - can we ride at 4:30?"; "oh man, I'd love to ride, but I gotta clean my mom's garage" etc.. etc...

But... yes, he keeps his legs shaved. This guy needs a kick in the ****. Please bid now on my UNUSED CYCLING BUDDY!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...me=STRK:MESE:IT

Take a look at that! And if you like it, please forward it to everyone and anyone you know! Let's get george off his ass! Ride GEORGE RIDE!!!!

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7129430648&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT">all your george are belong to us!!!!!!</a>

onekgguy said:
I'll take an experienced, seasoned rider who couldn't care less about going with the crowd than a shaved pretender any day.

Kevin Gilmore

Did the Alpine Audax yesterday, and as rule those with hairy legs had no descending ability. They rode downhill slowly, took the wrong lines and were hard to get past as the spent a lot of time on the centre line.

Cycle Nautic said:
We all have this kind of cycling buddy, don't we? Schedule a ride days in advance... the morning of the ride arrives -- you call him -- he's still in bed.

Excuses: "dude, it's too early - can we ride at 4:30?"; "oh man, I'd love to ride, but I gotta clean my mom's garage" etc.. etc...

But... yes, he keeps his legs shaved. This guy needs a kick in the ****. Please bid now on my UNUSED CYCLING BUDDY!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...me=STRK:MESE:IT

Take a look at that! And if you like it, please forward it to everyone and anyone you know! Let's get george off his ass! Ride GEORGE RIDE!!!!

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7129430648&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT">all your george are belong to us!!!!!!</a>

OMG that is freakin' hilarious!!!

GREAT auction.

xbgs351 said:
Did the Alpine Audax yesterday, and as rule those with hairy legs had no descending ability. They rode downhill slowly, took the wrong lines and were hard to get past as the spent a lot of time on the centre line.

So, you have hairy legs then?

What a crazy generalisation.

As a general rule, those with hairy legs are genuine cyclists who are not doing it for show.

mitosis said:

As a general rule, those with hairy legs are genuine cyclists who are not doing it for show.

I'd like a copy of that rule book you got there! ;)

I'd also like to know of the 220 odd riders in the TDF for instance the %s of shaved to unshaved......

mitosis said:

I will put it this way: ALL of the cyclists with poor descending skills had hairy legs.

xbgs351 said:
I will put it this way: ALL of the cyclists with poor descending skills had hairy legs.

That's not generalizing either if that's what you saw....

My brother is a non shaver, and I do it pre race only just to psyche myself up....

Been trying to get my brother to enter a race with me over the past year, but he can sense that I take it a little more serioulsy than him and opts to race in races I'm not in. I've psyched him out!!!!!

Duckwah said:
Wow no one has mentioned aerodynamics yet!!

surely there must be some nut around here that thinks shaving his legs will give him a 10% advantage in a 40k TT :p

I don't shave because its a major hassle and i don't race and i've never fallen off a road bike (MTB a different story)

But being a personal trainer and all i probably should so that i fit in with the rest of the buffed beach bods posing in gyms :D

Leg hair increases boundary layer capture, and IMPROVES leg aerodynamics, by exactly the same mechanism that the dimples on the new(ish) Zipp discwheel does. Leg hair is FASTER.

I'm thinking of patenting stick-on hairy pads for bike frames. Why should it be only your legs that benefit from the improved airflow that hairiness brings ? Fully Haired NOT Fully Faired is the future. You saw it here first...

Seriously - is this rubbish ? - if so, is the Zipp disc pure marketing ? Are roughened surfaces really more slippery through the air ?

Yes I shave, I agree with the sweat control, road rash and massage comments (my fiancee is a massage therapist:p

Also you look way faster, and isn't that what it is really all about?

yep, for crashes, not just cleaning up after a mishap but it also minimizes the damage, the road pulls on the hairs as you slide across the pavement, I even go 1 step further and wipe a thin layer a vasoline on the exposed parts of the legs, just in case of the corner slide outs, you cant escape out of the pedals. you drop like a cocoanut.

notryt said:
yep, for crashes...it also minimizes the damage, the road pulls on the hairs as you slide across the pavement...

I can't believe how many times I have heard the hairy pulling story as a way to justify shaving legs.

mitosis said:
I can't believe how many times I have heard the hairy pulling story as a way to justify shaving legs.
"War Paint" just isn't acceptable, so I defer to shaving the legs!!!

I was undecided for a long time, the only reason I would consider shaving would be for more speed, so I decided to just shave one of my legs, my right leg now goes faster than my left which is great but I keep going round in circles :)

Well... Heres prob the bottom line to this.. If you are a casual cyclist.. its prob a worthless endevour.. If you zip around at high speeds its a good idea (minus all the detractors) I believe shaving basically has to do with your self-image. If you think it makes you look efeminent then you really shouldnt. If your secure enough in your own masculinity your self image will be the same if your a cue ball or a wooly mammoth. When I started (about the time of the "Great Immancipation" people would ask " Do you shave your legs?" good thing there are no "Thought Police".. Now adays its not just cyclists... weight lifters..body builders..swimmers..divers..track and field atheletes..and yes even transvestites do it now. What use to be an oddity is more common place than you may be willing to accept. Believe me after the initial ohhs and ahhs from your friends and family it is soon accepted. Like shaving off your beard that you had for years. (and it does look cooler and faster when wearing a skin suit or spandex tights.) I hope this addresses the "real" issues on the whys or why nots. the whos and the who don'ts. In this case, like so many other times I have attemped to answer a question , I could be wrong :) :p