Shaved or unshaved?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by firegooroo, Dec 22, 2003.

1. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

I get it from both sides. my friends who cycle want me to do it and my brother and my other friends who are body builders (in competition) are also trying to get me to shave my arms and legs. I have yet to give in, but it is getting more tempting for some reason.

2. taniwha

taniwha New Member

That was only a little secondary infection, a complication, of a complication. Sometimes the outside world is a little rough with me.
    Now, you can take that nurse's uniform off.

3. gooseberry

gooseberry New Member

Dave Moulton has an excellent Blog on his site on this topic. All of his rants are worth reading. Me? I'm not that serious, no shave. The old lady would laugh hersellf to death!

4. Pinelander

Pinelander New Member

Just about all the reasons so far are legit, but the exhibitionist side of me knows that it looks better when you're stopped next to cars at a light. You just can't appreciate a good calf until it's sheered. It's all part of my feeling of anonymity when I put on the helmet and glasses :)

I use the smallest attachment on my electric trimmers. Probably 1/8th inch or so.

5. Tulsa Cycle

Tulsa Cycle New Member

Maybe there is a good reason....read this!:rolleyes:

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Nope. The more sanitary thing is bogus. I've not heard of mass numbers of unshaven cyclists succumbing to infections as a result of not having shaved their legs prior to a grinding crash.

7. cyberlegend1994

cyberlegend1994 Moderator

Basically another personal preference thing. Personally, I wouldn't do it, which goes to show that it's not for everyone.

8. jarodwinn

jarodwinn New Member

I used to shave when I raced. I'm contemplating doing it again just because it makes licking my wounds a little easier.
    On top of that, nothing beats the feeling of freshly shaven legs underneath a set of clean sheets when you go to bed! :D

9. Curtblaster

Curtblaster New Member

And if so, to what extent?

Do you believe that small amount of extra hair makes a difference?

Just wondering what the general consensus is...

10. decca234uk

decca234uk New Member

It takes me three days to think about shaving my face.:rolleyes:

11. frenchyge

frenchyge New Member

Bonus points for pictures. :D

12. genedan

genedan New Member

I never shave. In fact, I use my willpower to purposefully grow hair all over my body to be as burly as possible.

13. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I only shave enough to shape my beard.

14. cyclo_path

cyclo_path New Member

I shave the whole body although i'm lucky and don't have a lot of hair. I do not do it for speed or Areo effect but for the road rash factor. plus nothing worse than having a hairkini :eek:

15. Bob Ross

Bob Ross New Member

I shave parts of my body to the fullest extent possible.

It makes a huge difference. Absolutely. But you probably meant in the context of cycling, right? In which case

...it still makes a small difference. But in terms of comfort, not performance.

16. graf zeppelin

graf zeppelin New Member

Legs absolutely. Fairly often. Arms if I am feeling zealous.

Does it make any difference? Well, yes, if you crash, in which case the difference will make you a firm believer in shaving regularly. Otherwise, the differences are small, but I find greater comfort too. The legs dont gather sweat as it wicks right off and it feels better. It also looks better (to my eye), though the other two reasons are why I do it.

17. Munitedsoccer

Munitedsoccer New Member

I shave the whole body for comfort, road rash, and cleanliness. Something about hair grosses me out. ;)

So glad I am not hairy.

18. serra

serra New Member

No shaving for me, except my face. It would probably be more uncomfortable to shave than it is to not shave. Besides that, no stubble :)

19. michaelhoffman

michaelhoffman New Member

I shave my legs often. I mean once in every two months times. Sometimes in summer once in a month. I wear boxers most of the times when I am not working. I have got lots of hair on my legs and honestly I feel shame for the hairs on my legs. That is the only reason I shave my legs. Besides I have got good legs as I am cycling from my childhood and I want to show others how good legs I possess. So this is perhaps a second reason for shaving my legs.

20. BanditBoyDavid

BanditBoyDavid New Member

There are multiple advantages tp shaving your legs. 1) When you crash, bandages and scabs don't hurt quite as bad. 2) Your legs look so much better. 3) I find that my girlfriend likes my shaven legs (this further validates reason #2).