Shaved or unshaved?

genedan said:
It's really just a personal choice. If you do a search there are plenty of threads on the subject.

If you want a rite of passage, go fall down and get some road rash. Then, you'll understand.
I've had road rash from ******** to breakfast time.
Several times.
Hair and no hair.
Makes no difference.
Shave or wax if you want to but don't quote the road rash **** and just admit that you like the look and your wife likes the feel.

firegooroo said:
Sorry ladies this poll happens to be for the men. But you may participate if you like.

Guys do you shave your legs or not?

and if you do why do you do it and why do you think its important.

if you don't, well why not.

I have heard many debates over the issue and you hear all sorts of reasons on both sides of the table. Now I'm curious to ask the why ot the very question that many of us don't ask or are afraid to ask.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Men who shave their legs are...nevermind...

I'm surprised that the "No's" have it so far. At our local Crits everyone, including spectators, has shaven legs.

I shave weekly except for in the winter. Admittedly, I just like the looks of shaven legs better and it makes me feel more connected with the sport.

Mojo Johnson said:
I'm surprised that the "No's" have it so far. At our local Crits everyone, including spectators, has shaven legs.

I shave weekly except for in the winter. Admittedly, I just like the looks of shaven legs better and it makes me feel more connected with the sport.

I'm not surprised. After all, shaving of any sort is a PIA. Still, I don't think the poll tells the whole story. It'd be interesting to see how leg shaving correlates with size of biking community and with location in the US. Here, there are loads of guys on bikes who shave their legs (and at the scary end of the spectrum, when I went to Oberlin College, there were a large number of girls who didn't shave their legs. Those were different days, though. Now, in our enlightened times, girls are shaving all sorts of interesting things......and I guess guys are, too.).

"Enlightened" times? LOL!
Women having to succumb to societal pressures to shave this or that is a good thing?
Yeah, there's the smell issue with hair in certain places, but that's easily handled with good personal hygiene - right? If not, I hope you get that b/o issue sorted...

Personally, if my wife chooses to shave or not is her business - doesn't make her any more or less "enlightened" (or scary) in my eyes. (I'd rather not have the prepubescent look on her - but that's my thing). Same goes for me shaving my legs, beard, moustache, head, chest, etc...as long as it's trimmed and neat, hair on the body is as natural an occurrence as bowel/bladder movements...

Before anyone wants to get started, I'm not interested in debating this matter. I have my view, you have yours - we're entitled. end.;)

Uhm, the use of "enlightened times" was meant to be read as being sarcastic.

^^
So sorry - got crossed-up apparently when you referenced the "scary end of the spectrum" and unshaved legs on women...carry on...

I dont shave my legs because it is the only place that it still grows.:p

Im surprised by all the people here who shave their legs, but im more surprised by their reasons for doing it.

road rash? really? First off, how often do you go down? If its often, maybe you should be more careful. If its rarely, then its not worth shaving.
I've fallen off my bikes countless times in my 19 years of riding, asphalt, dirt, you name it. Hairs have never been a serious problem. In fact, road rash is not that bad as far as injuries goes, specially when you compare it to braking bones.

If shaven legs look more attractive to you then nothing I can say will change that. Personally, my legs are slightly hairier than most men, but I never even think about it. Shaving is tedious and annoying and I can hardly believe how anyone would voluntarily want to shave their legs.

but hey to each his own..

Most of us just do it to fit in, plus it looks good!

Im surprised by all the people here who shave their legs, but im more surprised by their reasons for doing it.

road rash? really? First off, how often do you go down? If its often, maybe you should be more careful. If its rarely, then its not worth shaving.
I've fallen off my bikes countless times in my 19 years of riding, asphalt, dirt, you name it. Hairs have never been a serious problem. In fact, road rash is not that bad as far as injuries goes, specially when you compare it to braking bones.

If shaven legs look more attractive to you then nothing I can say will change that. Personally, my legs are slightly hairier than most men, but I never even think about it. Shaving is tedious and annoying and I can hardly believe how anyone would voluntarily want to shave their legs.

but hey to each his own..

I shave my legs and arms once every two weeks. There is no time in every two weeks that I wouldn't get wounded even once. I'm just a clumsy person, I guess. But really when putting bandages on your wound and there are hairs surrounding that wound is scary. I usually use waterproof bandages so they're stickier than other bandages and man does it hurt when I take them off. It feels like I'm waxing those hairs off but they won't even come off and they really hurt.

I prefer shaved. Smooth legs are attractive and we all know that most of us wear shorts whenever we're out riding.

It somehow feels more comfortable. But the only thing better than shaving is waxing since you have to do it less often. It makes hair grow finer and grows slower compared to shaving. It's not really that painful. But if you can't wax, shaving's fine.

I do not believe that men's legs look better when shaved. And I don't think it is a good use of time to shave them often. But when I came back from concussion I had apparently not shaved my legs in a decade. After shaving I went distinctly faster which I see as the only excuse for doing anything so feminine.

I let my wife shave it every month, well for one thing it looks and feels better shaved. There's also the dirt factor, when unshaved it gets dirty pretty quick when doing off-road biking and you need a longer time to wash all the dirt off.

I don't shave my legs but I shave my face. I don't see any reason why you should not have hair on your legs though. That is natural, why not let it be? However, shaving face is really needed, for me. I face different people. I need to look good to have at least credibility in my job. There is this impression by which if you don't shave, you are like a gangster. We should at least be professional in our workplace.

I don't see any reason for shaving my legs for I have got cute hairs that my fiance admire when I ride my bike. I have had this debate with someone and I kept wondering the reason I should think of shaving my legs for it doesn't look reasonable for me no matter how I take a look at that. One thing is that others have got the choice to shave their legs, but that is not what I am thinking of doing at this moment .

I don't shave my leg because it feels unnatural for me although I'm more of a casual biker really so I don't really feel the need.