Shaved or unshaved?

Powerful Pete, don't say that too loud or Fixey will go off at you (refer to previous pages)

Skoobs, try the Dictionary of MTB Slang

fred n. 1) a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney". 2) (from road riding) a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. According to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

Regards

Brian

Hey fire,
I think guys do it for the following reasons, in order of descending importance:
1) to fit in with the cycling community
2)hairless wounds heal cleaner and faster
3)massages are nicer (if you are so lucky....)
Women who cycle tend to like shaved legs, women who don't, don't. At least that's my experience. Best of luck!

I shave for vanity. I think it looks better lycra and bronzed shaved legs. I also use a sunbed when I start to lose my tan. My wife who is a none cyclist loves my shaved legs but hates stubble hence I shave every other day. Thinking about waxing aaaaagh
Moggie

Easier to clean road rash. But seriously... its more aerodynamic. If not for helmets I would have shaved my head too. :)

Head shaving is more for heat release although it does work for your legs on hot days.

But I guess it depends on the length of your hair. I can see it know in a team time trial

Rupunsel, Rupunsel, throw your hair back! :D

About the massage issue. A normal massage is without oil (tween fluid). The oil is just there for the hair! However it's not necessary for a good physical therapist. Because of the sexy image most people tend to think masage=oil and oil=masage. Not true!

I wonder into what extend certain values subscribed to these special "cycling oils" are true (musscle up, musscle down, relax oil etc.).

There's also an advantage of hair on the legs. No.1 reason for hair= isolation against cold temperatures.

I think that if Lance Armstrong would decide tomorrow to stop shaving it would only take a few months before the whole shaving thing would be history. Look at his long socks. People cursed them in Europe! "Real cyclists only wear real cyclist socks!"
Now everybody wears the long socks as if there has never been the shorter type.

it seems some people crash a lot !

I road raced for 10 years every weekend in the summer, and held a UK 2nd Cat licence for 8 of them, I could count the number of crashes where I actually came off my bike and hit the road on one hand. I can only really think of 3 cases of road rash. So was shaving my legs worth it for those crashes - I dont think so. I shaved my legs to fit in with every one else like I think most cyclists do.

After a lay off of 2 years I have started riding again, but havent bothered shaving my legs yet. I might do it if, but it would only be for the pose value.

Come on admit it, it looks nice, thats the real reason !!!!!!!

As a Sikh i don't cut my hair and rodies just blow me off. (fit right in there with other thread on the board). The funny part is when i blow by them up a hill with a full beard, hairly legs and a big bun of hair on my head. They look at you and don't see you as a threat till your already gone.

That reminds me of the Dictionary of Mtb Slang definition of a Fred

fred n. 1) a person who spends a lot of money on his bike and clothing, but still can't ride. "What a fred -- too much Lycra and titanium and not enough skill." Synonym for poser. Occasionally called a "barney". 2) (from road riding) a person who has a mishmash of old gear, does't care at all about technology or fashion, didn't race or follow racing, etc. Often identified by chainring marks on white calf socks. Used by "serious" roadies to disparage utility cyclists and touring riders, especially after these totally unfashionable "freds" drop the "serious" roadies on hills because the "serious" guys were really posers. According to popular myth, "Fred" was a well-known grumpy old touring rider, who really was named Fred.

Appologies to anyone named Fred.

Brian

1 - crashing
2 - ticks - they don't stick to shaven legs as easily
3 - mud/dirt - you just stay so much cleaner

works for me - 10 years of shaving and still going strong.

I heard from this coach that people shave their legs so wen your wearing e.g. a skin suit etc the material slides along your skin instead of taking the hairs with if and prevents bigger cuts etc...

When there is a masseur waiting for me after each ride I´ll shave. Until then (as if) I´m sticking to hairy. :D

tinajoy said:
This girls opinion is......no shaving. The hair on guys legs is sexy to me!!
I have to disagree with tina. My opinion is shave. The shaved, well muscled legs of a male cyclist look really sexy!

ausgirl said:
I have to disagree with tina. My opinion is shave. The shaved, well muscled legs of a male cyclist look really sexy!
Like the famous Shakespeare... "To shave or not to shave?"

If you are racing, sure shave it. It will save you a lot of fuss if you crash and need to tend to your wounds. I'm not sure if it's documented but maybe you will have a 1/2 second advantage with shaved legs... ha ha.

As for the vanity aspect of shaving - shaving on a woman... well duh! Thats obvious. For a guy... well I haven't had any complaints with my shaved legs.

Nicholas

velo4it said:
1 - crashing
2 - ticks - they don't stick to shaven legs as easily
3 - mud/dirt - you just stay so much cleaner

works for me - 10 years of shaving and still going strong.
Is that true about the ticks? Because that's the only reason I'd consider doing it.

Life is short; why spend it shaving?