Shaved or unshaved?

Virenque said:
Hehe, OK you`re partial true! I did never fall with unshaved legs but I`m sure it would be more complicated to clean the wound with hair in it!

It's not. The worst part is getting the road particles out as they are responsible for scarring. You have to scrub it and whether you have hair on your legs or not don't make much difference. Nowadays the docs say to leave it open anyway so no tape or anything to bother with the hair.

mitosis said:
Have you fallen on shaved and unshaved? From my experience it makes no difference; and that of my cycling mates, some who shave and some who don't. Its only a justification that cyclists use for shaving.
I have fallen on unshaved leggs all be it as a novice and I can tell you there is a differance!!!!!! Oh hell yes there is a differance!!!!! Imagine the ground gripping the heir on you legs till it ripps then rolling in up like carpet!!!!! Give me a burn any day pal

I get a full body wax every fortnight. being a part time cyclist/model/personal trainer i need a smooth body. plus you don't get immature little brothers trying to pull out your leg hair.

It´s the better way to clean the warmer balm after the train, the softest way to receive a recovery massage and the less resistant way to cross the wind.

ALVAROEB said:
It´s the better way to clean the warmer balm after the train, the softest way to receive a recovery massage and the less resistant way to cross the wind.

I agree with the balm and the massage but that's the same whether you cycle or not.

Unless you ride at 200 kph you can't seriously go for the wind resistance argument. :rolleyes:

I love how this poll/post gets this many hits and views, yet people ask questions, which are important to them, and get very little feedback :)

I also frequent the mountain biking forum...it's like night and day!

Here's The Fact That I Found Out The Other Day About Shaved Legs And The Time That It Saves On A Ride...

Over 40k's The Time Saved Is..... 5 Seconds!!! That Was A Proven Fact, Where As An Aero Helmet Gives You Just Over A Minute Over The 40k - And Better Still - Tri Bars / Aero Bars Will Give The Avg Rider Over 5 Mins.

noonievut said:
I love how this poll/post gets this many hits and views, yet people ask questions, which are important to them, and get very little feedback :)

I also frequent the mountain biking forum...it's like night and day!

I hear ya. So what if one shaves or doesn't. Big woop te do.

I posted on another section and no replies. A serious ( in my opinion ) reaching out for an opinion on hubs for a singlespeed road bike. Repurposed wheels or "new" singlespeed specific brand names. No replies.

I've got a bad hankering to build a singlespeed with no budget to build it with.

As far as this 'shaved or unshaved' goes, for the record, I do. Why? Pick a good reason and I'll say you're right.

Tmax1
aka Jerry

Tmax1 said:
I hear ya. So what if one shaves or doesn't. Big woop te do.

I posted on another section and no replies. A serious ( in my opinion ) reaching out for an opinion on hubs for a singlespeed road bike. Repurposed wheels or "new" singlespeed specific brand names. No replies.

I've got a bad hankering to build a singlespeed with no budget to build it with.

As far as this 'shaved or unshaved' goes, for the record, I do. Why? Pick a good reason and I'll say you're right.

Tmax1
aka Jerry

Try posting on mtbr.com, under the singlespeed section. Although they're focus is mountain bikes, there are lot's of discussions about road and you may get some good advice.

merida905 said:
Here's The Fact That I Found Out The Other Day About Shaved Legs And The Time That It Saves On A Ride...

Over 40k's The Time Saved Is..... 5 Seconds!!! That Was A Proven Fact, Where As An Aero Helmet Gives You Just Over A Minute Over The 40k - And Better Still - Tri Bars / Aero Bars Will Give The Avg Rider Over 5 Mins.

Proven fact? If you look at the study results here, you'll see how wrong you are. No mention of shaved legs. Speed approaching 50 kph over a distance of 40 k's.

Are you up to it?

Your 5 minutes is in your dreams.

http://www.timetrial.org/aerodynamics.htm

So is 5 seconds for shaved legs. Proven fact. Ha. :rolleyes:

yes of course i do, since it seems to be part of the road racing culture. it's just one of those things. :)

fair point about the 50kph over the 40k's - however when I read those figures they stated a little more than on your link and had no mention of at a certain speed - and again fair enough with the no mention of shaved legs for a time diff but you got to think that if putting shoe covers on your shoes saves 13 seconds then shaving your legs might really give you 5 seconds??? I don't know - and I'm no way up to riding at 50kph over 40K.

merida905 said:
fair point about the 50kph over the 40k's - however when I read those figures they stated a little more than on your link and had no mention of at a certain speed - and again fair enough with the no mention of shaved legs for a time diff but you got to think that if putting shoe covers on your shoes saves 13 seconds then shaving your legs might really give you 5 seconds??? I don't know - and I'm no way up to riding at 50kph over 40K.

"They were gained from various sources and in most cases represent a rider at 30MPH over a 40K course"

this is a direct quote from the link. ;)

merida905 said:

I was always told that shaving will save you ZERO time....infact a little stubble on the fronts of your legs is better. I have no idea of the foundations of this, just what I was always tought.