Shaved or unshaved?

xcgeek said:
I shave my legs beacuse it is easier to clean out road rach when you go down and if you race you WILL crash. Also, it makes post race massages a lot easier, it is easier to apply warming oil and the such.

Plus, to top it all off I haven't meet a (hot) girl who didn't like them smooth and hair free.

ditto, ditto, and DITTO!!

Azulene said:
As a girl cyclist and a professional Esthetician have you guy thought about waxing your legs. I have a few male clients who I wax.

Let the warm weather come soon!!!!

yes, that's my preferred method. once every few weeks, with very little stubble, beats da hell out of the weekly pricklies.

I shave. Why? For the simple matter of the exclusitivity. It's like an ID card, saying "I am roadie." It's the same reason why alot of MTBers have chainring scars and/or pedal shinning scars - it says who you are :) W\However I never blow off anyone who is unshaven. In fact I fear them more cuz they could be trying to make you THINK they aren't serious so you relax and then they whoop your as a good one.

I shave my legs, not just because of tradition in cycling, but because it can be very difficult if you fall and scracth unshaved leg! And I like to do it, because it looks very nice and elegant:D

I love men with shaven legs :rolleyes:

Precisely why I love the way my guy's legs look. Mhmmmmmm....

Mainly, shows off muscle defination, sexy as.... mhmmm..

Origanic. I definitely agree, shaved legs look very hot on guys with muscly legs. I haven't dated anyone with shaved legs, but i still perve!

I shaved last week for the first time. I actually like the look and feel. The stubble isn't annoying although I have to shave every 2-3 days to keep it right. The only discomfort is the back of the thigh right above the knee. It feels better in my shorts and if I fall and hit pavement, I hope it'll give me some additional benefit. Some people notice, some don't. My girlfriend is crazy about my shaven legs but after all, she's a cyclist. Overall, I will definately do it on a consistent basis except for the winter months.

skwanch said:
yes, that's my preferred method. once every few weeks, with very little stubble, beats da hell out of the weekly pricklies.
Hear Hear! I'm a hairy guy and I can't stand the feeling of stubble or the itchiness of it growing back. Waxing is the way to go - sure it hurts a bit when it's being done but then you don't have to deal with it for a month or two. It's worth it just for the time saved not shaving 'em!

Oh, and if you want some real pain, get your hairy torso waxed - ow - especially on the sternum. :eek:

I used to shave, but then my girlfriend>wife didn't like it. Now I just 'trim' it. Shaving sure was a pain!

One thing no-one has mentioned (anywhere that i can see) is cooling. When I am riding hard my legs get fairly sweaty. Shaven legs seemed to make the sweat evaporate quicker, so it feels cooler and more comfortable. Does anyone else notice this?

Shaved and pround of it...

I shaved prior to my second race. The main reason was that my wife loves the bare legs and so as a treat I did it for her. Now I do it before any race, otherwise I just let it grow.

The method: first was with hair remover - any noticed how that stuff burns the skin- yeoww. Last time like that. Now the wife gets to do it for me when she does her legs.

The motivation I use is that the race I do not shave is the race I will fall. Therfore I shave = I don't fall.

Anyway a large number of responses have been about the whys and why nots of shaving. Can anyone tell me why women shave. I mean it is not even a questionable thing in most places - women just shave......

cside said:
The method: first was with hair remover - any noticed how that stuff burns the skin- yeoww. Last time like that.
Ohh yes! The first time I shaved my legs I used it too! I was bringing it with naked hand and it burned my little finger a lot! If I will do it first time now, I will do it with electric razor and after that with Mach 3 as I`m doing now..

xc_gumby said:
waxing... I'm already over shaving my face & the thought of the extra sq. metre-age is just too much.

I get a lady to tear them out by the roots every month or so.
I used to use nair, but if you get too much nair up 'there', there will be a lot of pain there

Virenque said:
I shave my legs, not just because of tradition in cycling, but because it can be very difficult if you fall and scracth unshaved leg! And I like to do it, because it looks very nice and elegant:D

Have you fallen on shaved and unshaved? From my experience it makes no difference; and that of my cycling mates, some who shave and some who don't. Its only a justification that cyclists use for shaving.

The other reasons - it looks good, my girlfriend likes it, it is traditional and that it feels good seem to be the only genuine reasons for shaving. :D

mitosis said:
Have you fallen on shaved and unshaved? From my experience it makes no difference; and that of my cycling mates, some who shave and some who don't. Its only a justification that cyclists use for shaving.

The other reasons - it looks good, my girlfriend likes it, it is traditional and that it feels good seem to be the only genuine reasons for shaving. :D
Hehe, OK you`re partial true! I did never fall with unshaved legs but I`m sure it would be more complicated to clean the wound with hair in it!

mitosis said:

Shaving is such a pain - I only do it towards the start of the big rides I plan on during the season and a few times during that period. No more - once all my road rash heals up, I will be shaving or waxing from here on out. Cleaning the wounds isn't to bad with the hair as most of it is ripped right off with the skin. The problem is with the tape, etc... Now that the hair is coming back in a few spots it is harder to put the ointments, etc... on, but I don't think that applies as it would be growing back in no matter what. Side point, it seams like (when I shave) that I actually feel a little cooler on the rides. (Temperature wise)

Same thing can be said about gloves, I never where them when riding solo or with the club, only in rainy weather or during rides I don't know the other riders. Stupid me, didn't wear them for a charity ride & boy am I paying for that. Guess they will be on from here on out also.