Shaved or unshaved?

Don't shave my legs, but then I try hard not to take spills. The guys who say they shave so they'll heal their road rash faster are right on, though -- I took a nasty rollerblading spill during a blading marathon a couple of years back, took off the left side of my calf, and bandaging (mostly un-bandaging) was extremely painful because of the hair still there. Next spring, if I take more chances than this year, I'll probably take it off. (But I DO shave the wobbly bits and around there, 'cause nothing's worse than a wild hair on a long ride.)

Azulene said:
As a girl cyclist and a professional Esthetician have you guy thought about waxing your legs. I have a few male clients who I wax.

Let the warm weather come soon!!!![/QUOTE

I do.what do you charge??? maybe we can work something out!!!!!!!!

WHY CAN'T YOU ALL JUST ADMIT THAT YOU SHAVE YOUR LEGS BECAUSE YOU THINK IT LOOKS COOL!!!??? i am with JR on this one - just admit it. i don't shave my own legs, but i'm down with whoever wants to do it - but please, brothers, let the truth be known... i am a surgeon, a reconstructive plastic surgeon, i have seen wounds that would make you lose your lunch, and i have treated countless ugly ulcers, infections, necrotic whatevers - the road rash argument is a load of horse manure. cheers, and all you hairies: lez just keep the slick legged boys thinking they have us psychologically outmaneuvered - it's all in the legs, not the hair on the legs... :eek:

halvo said:
WHY CAN'T YOU ALL JUST ADMIT THAT YOU SHAVE YOUR LEGS BECAUSE YOU THINK IT LOOKS COOL!!!??? i am with JR on this one - just admit it. i don't shave my own legs, but i'm down with whoever wants to do it - but please, brothers, let the truth be known... i am a surgeon, a reconstructive plastic surgeon, i have seen wounds that would make you lose your lunch, and i have treated countless ugly ulcers, infections, necrotic whatevers - the road rash argument is a load of horse manure. cheers, and all you hairies: lez just keep the slick legged boys thinking they have us psychologically outmaneuvered - it's all in the legs, not the hair on the legs... :eek:

This is the most rediculous thread...reality is most good riders shave...some because they know the dangers of crashing with hairy legs, some because they mis-believe that it is for areodynamics and some because it looks good.... I say this....PLEASE if you ride races other than time trials....shave, I have seen/felt the results of not shaving......it is not pleasant

I suppose you shave your arms too? If not, why not? The chances of your arms receiving road rash are equally as good as your legs.

Kevin g

onekgguy said:
I suppose you shave your arms too? If not, why not? The chances of your arms receiving road rash are equally as good as your legs.

Kevin g
Now THAT is a good point. Ive never shaved my legs (wife wouldnt let me even if I wanted to), but I always thought it was an effective way to show off your well earned muscle and form. But I still tire of the old road rash argument. Im gonna use Kevins line from from now on. Thanks bro. :) www.the-bike-shop.com/training

Shave for the crashing and the looks but crashing is reason 1.

This guy on my team also tore up his shoulder which took twice as long to heal as his legs.

Shaved

I was wasting much much more sunblock before I shaved and still was impossible
to spread evenly with carpet legs.

So now I shave and dont spend as much on sunblock here in sunny Miami Fl.

At fist It sucks but latter you can shave with hot running water & go.

For those thinking about going bare, here is some advice use a multi-bladed
razon.(shik-quattro) and apply rubbing alcohol right after shaving, the alcohol
will burn for 10 seconds but you'll be spared of a full day of razor burn!

WAX, WAX, WAX!!, it's far better!!.....it is once in a while, doesn't hurt as people say and the "finish" is much much better than shaving.

WAX!!

No, I don't shave. The hair was put there for a reason- protection! When riding through the woods, yes the woods, and you brush up against a tree, the hair protects you. Besides I am too hairy to shave my legs having a beard and all. I would look top heavy! It's too cold for bald legs!

From one hairy mtn. biker~~~ Robert My website.:cool:
\\||//
{oUo}
//||\\

No, I don't shave. The hair was put there for a reason- protection! When riding through the woods, yes the woods, and you brush up against a tree, the hair protects you. Besides I am too hairy to shave my legs having a beard and all. I would look top heavy! It's too cold for bald legs!

From one hairy mtn. biker~~~ Robert My website.:cool:
\\||//
{oUo}
//||\\

yes, but only during the summer road season. as of nov 1, i was done shaving for the season. hair keeps legs warm in the winter.

I do but I don't know why exactly. I hate the snarly unmanagability of leg hair on a long salty ride. I like the mental boost you get from a smooth shave on race day, like you did everything necessary to prepare. Stubble sucks, however.

Ed

Unless you're a racer or a terrible rider, THERE'S NO REASON YOU SHOULD SHAVE YOUR LEGS. And if you do, it's most likely because you emulate the pros, or else you are: self conscious, a social conformer, just plain dumb. It's ridiculous enough that woman shave their legs and even more ridiculous if men shave their legs. The world, particularly America, is becoming more and more critical of the body as a disgusting, ugly thing. Knock it off!
Honestly, I don't give a **** whether or not you shave your legs. But if I did, it would be for one of those reasons. Like I said, unless you are a racer or crash a lot, there's no practical reason for doing it. Take care and enjoy life, C[/SIZE]

JAPANic said:
I think more than anything, it is a constant reminder that 'you' are a cyclist.

A constant reminder to try, ride fast, have an edge, a part of a cyclists uniform.....

Before I shaved, I was a beginner, afraid to shave because I wasn't really a cyclist, a guy that doesn't wear any jewelry and wouldn't be seen dead with shaved legs....

THe more serious I took my cycling the more I wanted to be one....

Fast cyclists shave their legs....

It is a badge.

And the badge says, "******". :rolleyes:

JAPANic said:
And your badge says, Aussie, meat pie eating, beer gutted yobbo!

:eek:

Touched a nerve, did I? ;)

Seems like beer guts, meat pies and yobbos do better at the olympics than wankers.

mitosis said:
Touched a nerve, did I? ;)

Seems like beer guts, meat pies and yobbos do better at the olympics than wankers.

I'm the Aussie ****** ;) .... you are the yobbo! :p

I shave during the short summer season here in Sweden. Have had to many injuries in the past ending up trying to shave after the wound. Some say it saves 2-3 percent energy due to becoming more "aerodynamic" but I think that´s ********. Besides, my girlfriend likes when I shave..... ;)