Shaved or unshaved?

firegooroo

Dec 22, 2003
Sorry ladies this poll happens to be for the men. But you may participate if you like.

Guys do you shave your legs or not?

and if you do why do you do it and why do you think its important.

if you don't, well why not.

I have heard many debates over the issue and you hear all sorts of reasons on both sides of the table. Now I'm curious to ask the why ot the very question that many of us don't ask or are afraid to ask.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Need a third option on this poll; "Other"

Being fairly new to cycling and that it is too cold/dangerous to ride outside, I don't shave my legs as of yet.

However, this spring when I hit the roads, you bet...out will come the razor and off with the hair.

Why? Rumour has it that when you crash it is a bugger to clean cuts/abrasions on hairy legs. Sounds reasonable enough to me! Besides all the big boys do it. No reason, in this instance, why I shouldn't do what they do!

Cheers!

I shave my legs beacuse it is easier to clean out road rach when you go down and if you race you WILL crash. Also, it makes post race massages a lot easier, it is easier to apply warming oil and the such.

Plus, to top it all off I haven't meet a (hot) girl who didn't like them smooth and hair free.

Plain and simple

1. Crashes.

Try healing a bad case of road rash with some leg hair in the mix and infection is a sure bet.

2. Sweat

Tends to accumulate on your leg if not allowed to "fly off" or at least dry quickly.

3. Massages

Mostly for pros only but if you have the luxury of a massage once a month/week, best to work the muscle without the interference of leg hair.

If not for these (debatably necessary) reasons, most people do it because it looks cool and certainly classifies one as a cyclist.

I hold one razor in each hand for quick results.

As a girl cyclist and a professional Esthetician have you guy thought about waxing your legs. I have a few male clients who I wax.

Let the warm weather come soon!!!!

Remember in "Breaking Away' when his dad walks in and sees his son shaving his legs? I'm with the dad!

I don't fall down enought to justify it and I don't race. If I did shave, then it would be the only part of my body I shave. I'd feel too girly if my legs were slick yet have a full beard!

Tim

I work damn hard to get my legs looking the way they do, and shaving really shows them off nicely.

And all the other standard reasons.

P.S. My wife does not like my legs shaved, but that's her problem (hell, she grew to love my shaved head!!)

waxing... I'm already over shaving my face & the thought of the extra sq. metre-age is just too much.

I get a lady to tear them out by the roots every month or so.

competitive edge. shaved looks ready for action, all the hairies think you'll beat them, so mentally you already have.

The truth is you do it for two reasons -

1. Massage. For years we did it so that the massesuse could work the oils, etc, better.

2. We did it because of cleanliness when crashing, etc. A leg that is shaved can heal surface abrasions in 1/2 the time or there abouts.

.. Of course, do enough track racing in northern illinois and wisconsin there is no need to shave - you cannot grow hair where you crash if you do it enough!

Originally posted by Julian Radowsky
I work damn hard to get my legs looking the way they do, and shaving really shows them off nicely.

And all the other standard reasons.

P.S. My wife does not like my legs shaved, but that's her problem (hell, she grew to love my shaved head!!)

I'm with you JR. My wife has same reaction. My head is smooth, but not result of shaving!

Like your "chop" too.

Wow no one has mentioned aerodynamics yet!!

surely there must be some nut around here that thinks shaving his legs will give him a 10% advantage in a 40k TT :p

I don't shave because its a major hassle and i don't race and i've never fallen off a road bike (MTB a different story)

But being a personal trainer and all i probably should so that i fit in with the rest of the buffed beach bods posing in gyms :D

Originally posted by firegooroo
Guys do you shave your legs or not?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

I've been riding for many years. Early on I never saw the need to shave legs. A friend recommended I tried, now I shave every Sunday evening. In fact I shave my entire (body) frame. Sweat control is greatly enhanced in the absence of body hair.

This is summit you don't really appreciate until you try it.

A bonus.. smooth bronzed, muscle toned legs look, well.. try it and walk into the ladies aerobic class :)

Originally posted by CatSpin
Plain and simple

Hey CatSpin, as a major Travolta fan.. tell me your not really that alike..

Sorry moderator, promise to stay on track.. :)

I havn't shaved my legs yet. I am waiting until they are built properly and I have a decent part in my calf muscles, then I will have something to show off whilst I am riding.

Try putting that shaving time into riding without falling. Do you carry an entire medical kit, on the chance that you'll fall??

You gotta shave to be cool. The first time shaven in between the sheets or putting on jeans is an interesting experience indeed.

I shave every week in the spring and racing months, cause I spend lots more miles on the road and Im just waiting for some twit to slide into me. In the winter I just shave once in a while. Basically it comes down to friction. One time I got sideswiped by some dolt in an explorer. Went down and slid about 15 feet on the side of my forearm and leg. End of story, nice fat rash on my arm, leg was clean as a whistle with only a few microscopic scrapes here and there.

It does accentuate the legs, makes it easier to put lotion on... but I will say that ingrown hairs **** me off. Shave often or your wife will faint when she sees the ring in the tub.

I don't know how you guys get away with shaving once a week

i shaved my legs once and within two days i needed to shave again. Besides my legs are pretty big and i reckon i'd spend 20 minutes every two days just keeping them under control.