Shaved or unshaved?

Freshly shaved this evening, 3 reasons

Wife likes it
Easier to clean road rash
Gotta use a TENS unit so no ripped out hair from the pads

The other advantage we have not discussed here in relation to shaving is the effects one has when cooking with gasoline at levels below the waist. The advantage of being shaven is that when flames leap upwards, you stand only to loose that within your pubic area and not yours legs which is a good thing because in cycling you can cover your pubic area.... not as much your legs.

Not that I really have much experience cooking below the waist..

Nor would I admit.....

Hey let's change the subject and talk about max heart rate and our pets.... I like to scare mine as a method to find it.

My three year old son saw me shaving my legs last weekend and asked what was I doing. Even after a lengthy explanation, I still don't think he understood.

One of my main reasons is for motivation. I figure if I'm shaving, I had better be on the bike as much as possible. Otherwise I'm just a poser with issues...

One other question, how far up do you go? Me, I stop right above the shorts line. My wife says I look like a badly clipped poodle. The problem is that I'm a pretty harry dude and I'm afraid to start something I don't really want to finish.

Rode through some new tarmac a few days ago. At the end of the ride I noticed my legs were covered in tar grime. It was then I appreciated no hair on the legs. Would have been a painful experience to remove knotted leg hair with embedded tar.

mostly just mojo...

I tried to grow it back once and it pulled,iched, and all around got on my nerves.

Originally posted by jmocallaghan
Hey let's change the subject and talk about max heart rate and our pets.... I like to scare mine as a method to find it.

Mine scares me.. so as not to find it :)

i like my leg hair, so thick it keeps me from getting sunburns, even arc-burns when welding in shorts.

Originally posted by Paul Graham
A bonus.. smooth bronzed, muscle toned legs look, well.. try it and walk into the ladies aerobic class :)

Bronze? In Merseyside? C'mon! <smile>

Tom

I have really appreciated all of the replies for this thread and after much deliberation I have finally shaved my legs and arms (figure they should match)my wife is confused but she'll get over it. I want to wish everyone that has read and placed their vote and replied or just happen to read this the best of luck in this coming cycling season that is closely upon us. This thread will stay open for whom ever wants to continue placing posts and voting.

I don't curently shave mine but I am planning to start racing in the coming season. Will I look out of place if my legs are unshaven?

Still not sure if I should or not.

Originally posted by beerco
I shave my legs for the same reason I shave my face.

Hehe, I don't shave my legs for the same reason I rarely shave my face:)

Originally posted by Gonzo21
I don't curently shave mine but I am planning to start racing in the coming season. Will I look out of place if my legs are unshaven?

Still not sure if I should or not.

Depends - if you have hair like a gorilla and lily white legs, then probably yes. Otherwise nobody will notice or care. It won't effect your performance and will have little effect on your ego. Don't lose any sleep over it.:cool:

Originally posted by xc_gumby
waxing... I'm already over shaving my face & the thought of the extra sq. metre-age is just too much.

I get a lady to tear them out by the roots every month or so.
I do not

I never shave my legs, if I crash I do not really care about the hair etc. as it does not bother me that mych anyway.

Originally posted by Spider1977
Depends - if you have hair like a gorilla and lily white legs, then probably yes. Otherwise nobody will notice or care. It won't effect your performance and will have little effect on your eI go. Don't lose any sleep over it.:cool:
i do not shave my legs as mentioned although i do think that for racing it is good as it improves aero drag resistance etc.

Well I guess it's up to the individual,what you feel most comfortable with.I shave mine (Wax actually)My wife prefers them waxed as in bed they don't prickle her like shaved legs.
How high up,well pretty high the reason,reduces the incidence of ingrown hairs and lycra seems to add to this problem.
Last year had a pretty bad crash skinned my legs,cleaned up my leg which was a lot easier than if I had hairs and rode another 120 k's the wounds healed quickly,when your a long distance from home and crash,the only cleanser you have is your water bottle and maybee a antiseptic swab,and at sometime YOU WILL CRASH!!!
Oh by the way a lot of guys who play contact sports now shave their legs
Originally posted by Chotch
Hehe, I don't shave my legs for the same reason I rarely shave my face:)
:)

I use NAIR FOR MEN. I shave for the purposes of having to easily clean road rash and them healing faster.

Originally posted by Mark Andrews
i do not shave my legs as mentioned although i do think that for racing it is good as it improves aero drag resistance etc.

Ok, can someone give me some quantitative evidence that hairless legs will make any difference in wind resistance? The road rash thing makes perfect sense though I have some trouble with the wind resistance. Certainly there is a theroretical decrease in drag, but measuarable?

And speaking of drag...hehe :p
Josh.