Shaved Parmesan @ TJ's

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by aem, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. aem

    aem Guest

    I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
    they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
    16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
    tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
    grated cheese. -aem

    Tags:

  2. sf

    sf Guest

    On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:

    > I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
    > they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
    > 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
    > tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
    > grated cheese. -aem

    KEWL! I'll look for it.

  3. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-22, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:
    >
    >> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
    >> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
    >> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
    >> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
    >> grated cheese. -aem

    > KEWL! I'll look for it.

    Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save beauceau
    bucks:

    http://www.chefdepot.net/cheeseknife2.htm

    nb

  4. sf

    sf Guest

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:27:36 -0600, notbob wrote:

    > On 2006-03-22, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:
    > >
    > >> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
    > >> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
    > >> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
    > >> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
    > >> grated cheese. -aem

    > > KEWL! I'll look for it.

    > Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save beauceau
    > bucks:
    >
    > http://www.chefdepot.net/cheeseknife2.htm

    I would use a vegetable peeler if I wanted to "shave" a block of
    parmesean.

  5. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan.

    I don't like anything shaved unless I do it myself.

    -s (come and get me) w

  6. sf <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:eek:[email protected]:

    > On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 23:27:36 -0600, notbob wrote:

    >> Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save
    >> beauceau bucks:
    >>
    >> http://www.chefdepot.net/cheeseknife2.htm
    >>

    > I would use a vegetable peeler if I wanted to "shave" a block of
    > parmesean.

    Yep - it's the main workout my vegie peeler gets, I think!

    --
    Rhonda Anderson
    Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

  7. Paul M. Cook

    Paul M. Cook Guest

    "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan.

    > I don't like anything shaved unless I do it myself.

    I'd love to but I have to stay home and shave my cheese.

    Paul

  8. sf

    sf Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:12:55 GMT, Paul M. Cook wrote:

    > "Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, "aem" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan.

    > > I don't like anything shaved unless I do it myself.

    > I'd love to but I have to stay home and shave my cheese.

    LOL

  9. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
    > they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
    > 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
    > tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
    > grated cheese. -aem

    I just got some recently too!
    I used it in salad last night that was served alongside a rosemary chicken. Very
    tasty.

    kimberly

  10. isw

    isw Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2006-03-22, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:
    > >
    > >> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
    > >> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
    > >> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
    > >> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
    > >> grated cheese. -aem

    > > KEWL! I'll look for it.

    > Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save beauceau
    > bucks:

    Plus, avoid flavor loss/change due to oxidation, which happens a lot
    more quickly when there's lots of exposed surface.

    Isaac

  11. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Nexis wrote:
    > "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
    > > they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
    > > 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
    > > tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
    > > grated cheese. -aem
    > >

    > I just got some recently too!
    > I used it in salad last night that was served alongside a rosemary chicken. Very
    > tasty.
    >
    > kimberly

    We finished a tub of it on our raosted-veggie pasta last night. Good
    flavor. And the shavings are a fun change from shreds.

    We really liked it on ceasar salad.

  12. jake

    jake Guest

    notbob wrote:

    > On 2006-03-22, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 21 Mar 2006 20:07:08 -0800, aem wrote:
    >>

    >>> I know some of you have Trader Joes nearby, so I thought I'd mention
    >>> they had a new product yesterday -- Shaved Grana Padano Parmesan. Aged
    >>> 16 months, shaved, not grated, not whole. Product of Italy. Had some
    >>> tonight and found it very tasty. The shavings are more fun than just
    >>> grated cheese. -aem

    >>KEWL! I'll look for it.

    > Buy a cheese spatula/knife and shave cheese yourself and save beauceau
    > bucks:
    >
    > http://www.chefdepot.net/cheeseknife2.htm
    >
    > nb

    I also use one of those, but when the cheese is too hard for that, I
    use a potato peeler of this type:

    http://global.kyocera.com/news/2002/images/peeler.jpg (any brand would do)

  13. notbob

    notbob Guest

    On 2006-03-23, jake <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I also use one of those, but when the cheese is too hard for that, I
    > use a potato peeler of this type:

    Yes, you can only shaved quality aged semi-hard cheeses that, athough
    nicely aged, still have sufficient moisture in them. Those Parmesan
    "bricks" in the Albertson's cold case ain't gonna get it.

    nb

  14. aem

    aem Guest

    Jude wrote:
    >> We finished a tub of it on our raosted-veggie pasta last night. Good

    > flavor. And the shavings are a fun change from shreds.
    >
    > We really liked it on ceasar salad.

    Made a kind of cheeseburgers last night: when I was seasoning and
    shaping the patties I added a generous amount of this shaved cheese and
    mixed it in. Then pan-grilled them the regular way. We liked the
    result. -aem