Shaved?

Luke Schierts

Jun 11, 2006
Just wondering how much of a difference shaving your legs makes? Does it really cut wind resistance? is it much cooler? does anyone shave their arms too? I shave my head (for looks not speed) & I know it is much cooler in the summer. But I'm not sure about having shaved legs. Anyone have any input.
thanks

Reactions: Kakashi
Does it affect wind resistance? I'm definitely not the one to ask as I carry a few extra pounds. What it does do though is really help when, and yes I say when, because it will happen, you have a crash and get road rash. Hair and bandages suck as does infection. Other pluses to shaving including not pulling your leg hair when you have a massage, knee warmers staying up, legs looking that much more musclecular, and it's fun to be in the shower with your spouse both shaving your legs at the same time.

rjjasick said:
it's fun to be in the shower with your spouse both shaving your legs at the same time.
:confused:

its all about crashin, makes things easier to clean etc.. . . . . .

It's all about the crashing for me!! Once you start to shave you legs, you get used to it after a while. I think alot of people also "associate" shaved legs with cycling.:rolleyes:

Makes dealing with road rash easier, better if you use creams/etc on your legs, and looks cool (the pros do it, so we should too!).

Nothing to do with aerodynamics.

I remember a while back that a scientist was trying to explain the aerodynamic advantage of shaved legs (saved 1 second over 60 miles I think?). I think it is part mental because they make you feel faster, in addition to the other advantages as stated by the other posts. My girlfriend is a competitive swimmer and the guys on her team shave their entire body to decrease hydrodynamic drag. Does it help? I couldn't say for sure for the swimmers because like cyclists, they can wear body suits, but it does sure look cool on either athelete. It's all about looking fast as well isn't it?:p

I heard somewhere that once leg hair is longer than 1/8", shaving is more important than training....

For those of you who shave your legs:

Do you also shave your arms? Hips? Butt? Back? Shoulders? Chest?

I bet not. Yet when I crash I usually get rash in those areas. My elbows have the most scars, then my hips, then my knees, then the rest. So I don't buy the shaving-for-crashes argument, unless you also shave those other areas.

Admit it: You shave because it looks cool, and because it makes you feel like you belong to a select group... which it does! :)

Yes i shave my legs only so it looks like im wearing a pair of fury underpants:) .
Plus my calfs look wicked,:D so yes its posing i suppose for me.cheers

Anybody just shave the fronts (leading edges) of the legs, but leave the hair on the back part to help generate turbulent airflow on the trailing edges and reduce the overall aero drag even further? Talk about flying!

I shave from toes to waistline :) And yes it does look good on the legs, and my wife wouldn't have it any other way now either.

DennistheMennis said:
For those of you who shave your legs:

Do you also shave your arms? Hips? Butt? Back? Shoulders? Chest?
As an ex-bodybuilder I shave all of the above, have been for years long before I started racing bikes. It looks good, but more importantly it feels good, nice and clean. Wife sems to like the look and feel as well. It does help when you crash though. 4 weeks plus and I've almost got my skin all back! All in all though, it's really just more of a tradition. Had one really monkey-hairy teammate resist shaving his legs, but eventually peer pressure got the best of him, especially when he upgraded to cat4. He's hooked now.

Bugger this crashing thingy... sounds like pain to me...if racing = crashing, then rec riding is the way I'll stay:)

Albert 50 said:
Bugger this crashing thingy... sounds like pain to me...if racing = crashing, then rec riding is the way I'll stay:)

If you race you WILL crash, sooner or later. You can be a great bike rider and handler yet still get taken out. Last crash a dude failed to hold his line and crossed over my front wheel. Next thing I know I was doing two front flips and getting run over by the pack. I did finish the race though, all bloody and bruised! It's really not all that bad, but it will eventually happen.

Cyclists have lean, tanned legs that look dead sexy in lycra shorts; but only if shaved smooth. It's all for the look; not the aerodynamics, the injuries or the massages; it just looks so damn' hot.

Speaking just for me, I weigh 196 and should weigh about 166. So, shaving can gain me 1 second in 60 miles and dropping 30 pounds could gain me many minutes. Let me see... uhhhh, I would be better served by losing 30 pounds first, but shaving does make me look the part, unless you look at my waist.

for me- shaving is yes, incase of a crash. but also- its cooler in the hot summer...

and cleaner- your sweaty hair doesnt clump with up the road grime.

rode next to a guy last long ride along the beach. started raining early but then it cleared up and got hot and bright....

all the sand/grit/**** from the wet road started to mud cake into his leg hair in the hot sun.

REALLY NICE!

:eek:

schmuzzy said:
for me- shaving is yes, incase of a crash. but also- its cooler in the hot summer...

and cleaner- your sweaty hair doesnt clump with up the road grime.

rode next to a guy last long ride along the beach. started raining early but then it cleared up and got hot and bright....

all the sand/grit/**** from the wet road started to mud cake into his leg hair in the hot sun.

REALLY NICE!

:eek:

Yup, rain and hairy legs equals nastiness. Every have a wet puppy in the house????

Albert 50 said:
Time trial

Less likely to fall off than when commuting.

capwater said:
If you race you WILL crash, sooner or later. You can be a great bike rider and handler yet still get taken out. Last crash a dude failed to hold his line and crossed over my front wheel. Next thing I know I was doing two front flips and getting run over by the pack. I did finish the race though, all bloody and bruised! It's really not all that bad, but it will eventually happen.

Remember not to follow to close and over lap someone's tire when your drafting them... If you over lap there are going to be more crashes. Heads up.