Shaving in the older guys cats

genedoc

Aug 15, 2006
I just turned 50 and would like to return to racing after being off for 10 plus years. I plan to start TT'ing this fall here in SoCal and RR/Crit next year. I've read the "do I need to shave to race" posts, but they all seem to focus on the younger classes. What about 45+ and older cats? I "going native" any more common and accepted in these groups than it is in the younger groups?

man-o-lantern.jpg

genedoc said:
I just turned 50 and would like to return to racing after being off for 10 plus years. I plan to start TT'ing this fall here in SoCal and RR/Crit next year. I've read the "do I need to shave to race" posts, but they all seem to focus on the younger classes. What about 45+ and older cats? I "going native" any more common and accepted in these groups than it is in the younger groups?

If you're racing (real racing, I mean, not TTs...:) ), you stand a good chance of crashing some time. Road rash and hairy legs = big pain. Shaved legs makes massage easier too. Go for it.

genedoc said:

As soon as you go to one race you'll know that not shaving is rare.

genedoc said:

It's a racing tradition. Like football players putting that black sh*t under their eyes, even tho they play in a domed stadium.

Bob

I know, I know. But the question is what about 45+ and 60+. Is it any less unacceptable to not shave if you're riding in these groups?

genedoc said:
I know, I know. But the question is what about 45+ and 60+. Is it any less unacceptable to not shave if you're riding in these groups?

Most of us old 40 plus guys have been racing for years so shaving has been a part of our lives for years. Why stop just cuz you're older? Old guys get crashed out, too. Until you've shredded your leg from ankle to azzhole, you'll never appreciate the value of smooth legs.

genedoc said:

It's not like I take notes or anything, but just going from raw memory, I can say I've seen about a 50/50 mix in the Cat. 5's, dropping quickly in the higher Cat's (20% Cat. 4's? 10% Cat. 3's?) and Masters. You will definitely be in the minority if you do not shave. If that makes a difference to you.

Really, just go out and race. Enjoy the experience. The leg-shaving thing is trivial. If you shave and later change your mind, the hair will grow back. If you don't shave and later change your mind, you can shave next time. No big deal.

Bob

genedoc said:

You might be marked as an inexperienced rider at first, since there will be nothing else to go on - others might keep their distance. After a few laps your handling skills and pack form (good or bad) will become more obvious and your leg hair less so.

One I start racing or even just hard-core group riding I'm sure I'll be faced with this same question myself. I just can't get over the verbal razzing I'll undoubtedly get from all of my non-cyclist friends and family. :eek:

genedoc said:
Well since you're going to be racing here in S. Cal next year (RR & Crits) you will be the odd man out if you don't shave. I race the 50s and 45s pretty regularly and like someone else said in this thread, most of us have been racing for many years.Shaving is just part of racing, and oh yeah, the sutff about crashing and massage is true. You'll be liniing up against guys like Thurlow Rogers et al, and they still treat racing as if they were still a pro. Heck what do I mean were, some still are. But that being said, one of the better 50s riders, still has fur on his legs.

You'll figure it out after a few races I think.