Shaving legs

sure do shave and proud of it, havent had hairy legs since i was 17. even when off the bike still shaved them. i do it mainly coz it makes massage easier and as sean eadie said "it feels great in bed"

cwcbiker said:
How many of you shave your legs?

I used to, but when I first did it for racing, my wife said I looked like a **** and got REAL upset :D :D , but she got used to it, probably jealous cos my legs looked better than hers. Now I don't shave and I don't care what anyone thinks, I can still beat most riders my age and younger around here anyway, shaving makes no difference. When non-cyclists asked why we shave/wax I put it this way, there is NO aerodynamic advantage, it's about 5% for cleaning wounds after a fall and 95% vanity, they look good and thats it!!!! especially after 10 weeks of extensive training, very defined. It's just that it's not COOL to be seen with hairy legs if you want to be seen as a 'cyclist'

shillito said:
I used to, but when I first did it for racing, my wife said I looked like a **** and got REAL upset :D :D , but she got used to it, probably jealous cos my legs looked better than hers. Now I don't shave and I don't care what anyone thinks, I can still beat most riders my age and younger around here anyway, shaving makes no difference. When non-cyclists asked why we shave/wax I put it this way, there is NO aerodynamic advantage, it's about 5% for cleaning wounds after a fall and 95% vanity, they look good and thats it!!!! especially after 10 weeks of extensive training, very defined. It's just that it's not COOL to be seen with hairy legs if you want to be seen as a 'cyclist'

Only thing is, my leg hairs keep getting caught in the blasted chain and it HURTS!!,

What makes me laugh is how after a cold winter of wearing leggings the 'TRENDY' riders have fake bronzed legs, very coooool man, GETA LIFE. I've worked outside in shorts for 20 years in temps up to 45C and can't get my legs that brown and I have olive complexion.

"When non-cyclists asked why we shave/wax I put it this way, there is NO aerodynamic advantage, it's about 5% for cleaning wounds after a fall and 95% vanity, they look good and thats it!!!!"

i assume you've never had a massage!!! my masseur thanked me for having shaved legs. he said its not only less painful for me but better for him as its easier to work deep into the muscle tissue.

whats wrong with looking good??

The secret is to NOT shave, but rather, TRIM your leg hair down with one of those moustache or beard trimmer things. I do this, I get all the benefits of 'looking' like I shaved my legs, with no worries about getting cuts, using cream, or having ingrown hairs, etc. There's not enough hair on the leg to cause any concerns if you get road rash, and there's not enough there to make any massage therapist complain about not getting to your muscle tissue.

I might have to go over my legs once or twice in a week just to keep them 'looking' shaved, but that's as far as I go.

It is a goal of mine. I've gotten a little soft and doughy (O.K., fat) over the winter. If I drop the weight, I would like to shave.

I shave when I have trained enough to justify it. Nothing worse than shaving your legs to expose pasty and flabby white skin. :D So, for the moment, the hair stays on.

i assume you've never had a massage!!! my masseur thanked me for having shaved legs. he said its not only less painful for me but better for him as its easier to work deep into the muscle tissue.

whats wrong with looking good??[/QUOTE]

Sorry Eddy, stupid me forgot about the massages, must have hit my head too many times from too many falls, and yes, it hurts like crazy to have a massage with hairy legs. As for looking good, I seen a lot of guys with all the expensive bikes and gear, with shaved solarium tanned legs who looked like champions, but in reality my grandmother could beat them. I hate that image when there is no talent to back it up.

Feels better to ride with shaved legs. Headwind, water, mud, sweat etc. Especially for triathalon. Like comparison between wearing bike shorts vs tracksuit pants, shaved legs vs hairy. IMO
Don't wanna know about the gravel rash/wound healing thing. Gravel rash was the least of my worries the last time I was unfortunate enough to crash, I was just so happy that I didn't have any broken bones.
I think about 80-90% of club people I race with, shave, plus you'd look and feel 'out of place' at a big open event or state/national looking like chewbacca. ;)

I have found that my legs don't get as cold if I shave them, the sweat on my legs doesn't seem to be around for as long. If I have sweaty hairy legs, they cool down pretty fast on a descent.

Does anyone else notice this.

My legs aren't very hairy, tiny group of fine hair at the knee and near the ankle. My skin color camouflages the appearance but I may shave before my next major ride. I shave my head, does that count? I know that head shaving makes me feel faster in the water. Does the same hold true on the bike?

It's stuff like this which makes cycling come off as a sissy-man sport. Sorry, but it's true. I wonder how this custom came to be accepted...

Mart said:
I have found that my legs don't get as cold if I shave them, the sweat on my legs doesn't seem to be around for as long. If I have sweaty hairy legs, they cool down pretty fast on a descent.

Does anyone else notice this.
Not many "descents" from where I live, but when the humidity and heat kicks up, there is a huge difference.

Ranger, so basically what you are saying, is that all the riders that shave their legs is basically degrading the image of cycling into a "sissy-mans-sport"?

So I guess by airing a bike race, that is just destroying the image of cycling...

I for one could care less about what other people think of me, when it comes to "the legs". I dont see wheat the big deal is. :confused:

UNF_Chaz said:
Not many "descents" from where I live, but when the humidity and heat kicks up, there is a huge difference.

Ranger, so basically what you are saying, is that all the riders that shave their legs is basically degrading the image of cycling into a "sissy-mans-sport"?

So I guess by airing a bike race, that is just destroying the image of cycling...

I for one could care less about what other people think of me, when it comes to "the legs". I dont see wheat the big deal is. :confused:
I did a couple of times and it did not feel right.

UNF_Chaz said:

But most cyclists who shave their legs clearly do care what others think of them, as they shave to fit into the image of a cyclist. It has virtually no effect on your speed and I don't buy the "easier to clean cuts" argument. You don't take the time to shave 2-3 times per week because it's easier to clean cuts... I'm just wondering how and why leg shaving became the cool thing to do for cyclists.

On that same note, does anyone know of any pros who don't shave their legs?

shaving: it's another "sign of the tribe"...

"sissy-man" sport? Are you kidding? Either you don't ride or haven't climbed a hill yet.

kaikane said:
shaving: it's another "sign of the tribe"...

"sissy-man" sport? Are you kidding? Either you don't ride or haven't climbed a hill yet.
I never said that it was a sissy-man sport, I said that shaving legs perpetuates this stereotype. Why would I be dissing the sport I participate in?