Shaving legs

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by cwcbiker, Mar 14, 2006.

1. janiejones

janiejones New Member

My legs are as smooth as the day I was born, they may be a lot older, but they still aint hairy.

2. kaikane

kaikane New Member

my mistake.

3. the beef

the beef New Member

Never have, my legs aren't very hairy to begin with.

4. aa9t8

aa9t8 New Member

MY 2 BITS
    i use the shortest thingy on the trimmer and do my whole body, and it has nothing to do with cycling. i look like an orangitan, and feel cleaner with a lot less hair. i think it makes matress hockey a cleaner sport too.

5. shillito

shillito New Member

My grandfather used to race 1916-1930's against geats like Opperman, he NEVER shaved, but rolled up newspaper, lighted it then burnt off the hairs, none of this whoosey "go to the solarium" stuff or hair removal creams, YA PANSIES.
    But seriously, as I said before, I shaved when I raced, but now I dont and it surprises me when "cyclists" see me now when I'm riding they ignore me cos I don't look COOOOL, well, GET OVER IT YA CLOWNS, I can still out ride most of them anyway- Who cares what anyone thinks, why are you so WEAK of character that you have to fit in?

6. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

That's what I'm sayin'. I laugh when I drop these guys who shave their legs and buy the newest Giro helmets and pedals and whatnot.

7. Skull

Skull New Member

Mate, you are easily pleased.

8. shillito

shillito New Member

I know a guy that NEVER shaved, his bike came out when Captain Cook discovered Oz, his gear was old and faded and when he first turned up to race the "real cyclists" laughed and scoffed at him, well, it took ONE race and he ate them up and spat them out. From then on the tone change to " Look out for the guy with HAIRY legs and the old bike" . By the way, he became this country's veteran road champion in his aged group at least 3 times and he could beat most riders younger than him. I rode off scratch with him and it hurt like you know what.
    My point is this, if you can afford the latest and the greatest and you SHAVE your legs that's your choice, BUT don't think that that makes you a good bike rider.

9. PartisanRanger

Er... okay?

10. AmpedCycle

AmpedCycle New Member

I don't shave, and my calves have names: mutton chops!

You like my tasty mutton chop!

11. athoma00

athoma00 New Member

I leave my legs unshaved for safety and as a courtesy to other males. A male car driver approaching from behind can see clearly from a long way away that I am also a male and further appraisal of my rear end is unneeded and can then return to concentrating on not driving into stuff. ;)

12. pontifex

pontifex New Member

never shaved for cycling but I used to be a swimmer. From a swimming point of view shaving down is all about feel and state of mind. You train real hard for months, then you taper down shave down and man you think and feel goddamn fast. Dont really know how it feels biking though. Also shaving all the time would pretty much negate this mental boost, can't imagine much of a reason to shave all the time instead of for a big race.
    Kev

13. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

Shaving is also, at least for me, mentally preparing for cycling. I go against the 'supposed' norms of society for the sport I'm passionate about. It's one of my motivations to go ride. My state of mind with my smooth legs is just as much the same as the first time I did it to now (over 1.5 years). If I didn't ride and shaved my legs, then I would be a weirdo. But, I have a legit. reason.

Also, you can train for months in a pool and not fall and ripp off all your skin because of the hair. Where-as in cycling, while you are training for the "big race", you can still fall and have some 'nice' road rash.

14. SPANDEXBIKER

SPANDEXBIKER New Member

I Shave From The Waist Down It Feels Alot Better When You Have Your Spandex On And When You Crash You Dont Get Hair Blood And Spandex Mixed Up Grose

15. 1991kevin30

1991kevin30 New Member

No most guys dont,Lol

16. malbs04

malbs04 New Member

i do because of the crash side of cycling, i love cycling its my sport it my life. also if i didnt shave last sunday i woulda had been looking at 6-7 days with bad road rash instead of 2-4 days... think about that next time your mates are laughing at you calling you all a sissy.

cheers everyone ride hard :)

17. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

the best excuse for shaving is to tell people you get regular massages! :)

"Oh, I hafta get massages ALL THE TIME, and it's much easier without hair"

works every time [​IMG]

18. PartisanRanger

The solution is to stop crashing :p.

19. velomanct

velomanct New Member

I just did the spring mow down on them hairy legs. Takes forever with a razor. A trimmer won't work either. Imagine cutting a meadow with a weed wacker. :eek:

20. brick654

brick654 New Member

I took a course on track racing and since I was riding with a bunch of shaved legged bikers, I shaved down to not look like a neanderthal. While my legs were still bald, I changed jobs and had to go for a physical. The doctor was a woman. I was dressed in the typical gown, reclining on the examining table while the doctor inquired about my health history. As I was replying to one of her questions, she laid a hand on my leg in kind of a caress (against the grain of the hair) and quickly withdrew it and interrupted me by asking, "Do you shave your legs?"

"Yes," I replied.
    "Why?"
    I could tell that she didn't believe me as I attempted to explain. I suspect that she was visualizing me prancing around in a garter belt and fishnets.
    She didn't touch my legs (or any other part of my anatomy) after that. In fact, that pretty much concluded the exam.;)