Shaving legs

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by riceman, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Skoorb

Skoorb New Member

It probably would save a person 2 seconds over a century. Road rash I don't think it's a big thing. Hospital will shave you down if you crash and so other than a few getting in a wound, who cares?

It IS much easier to put sunscreen on shaved legs, much much easier. Also it's just something cyclists do. But we're not supposed to admit that. Just tell people it's easier to put sunscreen on.

I always said I'd never shave, so last year when I got into this I just used short trimmers and went half way. Earlier this year, to the constant ridicule of my wife, I shaved my legs all the way :( Hair is almost grown back but I have absolutely no intention of showing up at the tri this weekend with hairy legs, so out come the clippers this week. Ditto on chest hair.

At least I don't wear pink shirts at work (yet).

2. david462

david462 New Member

i hanvt heard the sunscreen excuse yet...if you have hairly legs, YOU DONT NEED SUNSCREEN. once you shave, you do need sunscreen. i can be on the beach all day under the sun with no sunscreen on the legs and not get burnt.

thats why i stick with my previous post, its 100% looks, there is no real function to it other than the pain in having to shave and apply sunscreen.

3. CycleTexas

CycleTexas New Member

Seems like the time spent shaving could be put to better use, perhaps riding?
    I don't plan on doing it any time soon. Pure vanity and slightly metrosexual in everyday circumstances.

4. Rocket^

Rocket^ New Member

I don't look good in my dress collection with hairy legs. That is my standard answer to anyone who asks.

5. Strumpetto

Strumpetto New Member

I think I have to agree. I revel in my masculinity and hairy legs. Then again, I'm a mountain biker, not a roadie. I just don't see the point. If you're crashing that much, then I guess it's good to have shaved legs. But seriously, if you're crashing that much, should you be on a bike? Pure aesthetic. Wouldn't even do it if I were a pro.

6. Denia

Denia New Member

My wife runs a health & beauty salon here in Spain and she offers her clients permanent hair removal (as well as the more traditional waxing). This is done using a laser and it stops any regrowth after a few sessions. Women use it mostly to get rid of facial, underarm, leg and pubic hair. It is effective, no question about that.

As cyclists, shaving can become a time-consuming business and that super smooth feeling only lasts a day or two before the stubble starts appearing. Would you not be better to consider this route, if you want rid of it why not do it permanently?

7. existence

existence New Member

Yep - you would. :)

8. Eilert Pilarm

Eilert Pilarm New Member

when I did triathlons years ago and shaved, the feeling in the pool for swim workouts was AMAZING!!!

that alone was worth it

only reason to do it now is that wifey won't massage hairy legs.

9. sugaken

sugaken New Member

Seems like the time spent debating about shaving could be put to better use, perhaps actually shaving your legs? ;)

10. dm69

dm69 New Member

Fine ill SPEAK A LITTLE LOUDER!!! I just said ur calves are ugly. Yes I probably wouldn't want to follow your wheel I might throw up my energy gels all over those things.

Well done on becoming a professional. Who do you ride for?

11. benkoostra

benkoostra New Member

First of all, it makes you faster. MUCH FASTER.

Secondly: shaving? what bunch of sissies.

Real men scrape the hair off with a rock down by the river.

:cool:

12. Skoorb

Skoorb New Member

Almost. Real men skin themselves with a buck knife, removing any layers of skin able to grow hair.

13. dsschanze

dsschanze New Member

You can save up to 5 secs in a 25 mile TT. :)

14. Skoorb

Skoorb New Member

Is that actually measured? I bet it's less!

15. melslur

melslur New Member

Yet there are still pros with mullets, hair blowing in the wind behind their neck. So I don't buy that aerodynamics are a reason for shaving legs- a side benefit perhaps, but not a main reason.

16. Bob Dopolina

Bob Dopolina New Member

Hospital? Whose worried about a hospital? I shave my legs because it is easier for the ambulance attendant to pluck the gravel, glass and other debris out of my flesh before they run that wire brush over the open wound.

Also for healing. If you don't need to go to the hospital (where they will shave you down, yarrr!) if you haven't shaved, chances are nearby hair will get into the wound and will promote infection, thereby slowing healing and increasing scarring.

AND it's sexy as hell.

17. C'dale Girl

C'dale Girl New Member

Not so much.:p

18. beerco

beerco New Member

:eek:

Does this mean you don't shave your legs because you don't think it's sexy?

19. Bob Dopolina

Bob Dopolina New Member

I don't mean sexy for you, honey. It makes me hot as hell!:D

20. Induray

Induray New Member

Another advantage for older riders is shaved legs makes you look younger and more athletic. Seriously