Shaving legs

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by riceman, Jul 23, 2007.

1. C'dale Girl

C'dale Girl New Member

Ha! You're pretty far off base with that one. :D

It means my man doesn't shave his legs 'cause I don't think that's sexy, and it's all about what I like. :p And, most women I know feel the same way, but hey, that's just my circles. Maybe we haven't evolved as much as you. :cool:

2. C'dale Girl

C'dale Girl New Member

If you say so. Whatever floats your boat man. ;) But, will you call me honey again? Now THAT'S hot!

3. Bigbananabike

Bigbananabike Member

============================================================
    I don't notice over my HAIRY legs. Just put them on and forget them. May be its just you...

4. pistole

pistole New Member

- hi honey(s).

:D

- shaved again , have we ?

5. Induray

Induray New Member

pink tights and a tutu ??? Yeah on a Cervelo machine. Picture that.

6. jonathandanger

jonathandanger New Member

Definitely and without a doubt rite of passage. And I will go on the record saying that as a cyclist guilty of it. I don't shave my legs because I think it looks cool, I think my legs are gross looking, but I see the same thing in other circles. I know guitar players with acryllic fingernails. It has side benifits, like leg shaving, but mainly it's for show, so people KNOW what you're up to and are often impressed. Its a nice feeling.

7. Diatad

Diatad New Member

Im a new rider, went down pretty hard the other day, think i know what yall are talking about when you say its easier to clean and tend to wounds. i dont shave and it was a freakin mess. i wont shave yet, too much of a noob (havent earned it), but i was jealous of the bare-legged

8. mongooseboy

mongooseboy New Member

I dont shave, dont plan on it either. Im a hairy guy and shaved legs would look bizzare. i think losing the 30 lbs i want to will do more for my average speed than shaving :) And i do solo rides, or slow trail rides with my girlfriend so i dont need to worry about fitting in. Yes, my gf shaves her legs. shes a girl...they should :) Men should be hairy!

If i was a pro or if i rode 200+ miles a week in groups, then YES i would shave. Id also be in much better shape and probably would look better without the hairy legs ;) Just wont happen today haha

9. Bob Dopolina

Bob Dopolina New Member

A fine example of the real reason to shave yer legs. It sure is a lot harder to pick the gravel out when you've got a cluster of blood matted hair in the way!

It's not for everyone but if you race or do regular, fast group rides, one day it will be you on the ground and whoever is digging at yer wounds later, will appreciate the shaved legs.

Don't forget, it also speeds healing because hair in the wound will cause increased white blood cell activity (puss), more swelling, slower healing and more scaring.

10. pistole

pistole New Member

- ouch !

11. DirtTurtle

DirtTurtle New Member

Dont know if there is many aussies out there, but dunno how the old pair of boardies go in summer over here with the shaved legs. I myself dont see the point, and wont do it until i have a big crash and whinge bout my hair sticking to the dressing

12. Sprint2Win

Sprint2Win New Member

No need to over analyze it.
    If you have a reason to shave them, do it.
    You don't have to justify it to anyone but yourself.

13. TadThomas

TadThomas New Member

Here are my reasons for doing it.

1) I can't stand my leg hair matting. (biggest reason) When I go on a long rainy ride, the mixture of hair, rainwater, and road grime must be a primative epoxy adhesive. It's just as bad with sunscreen (or other balms), dust, pollen and asphalt particles. It hurts like hell to get them out and seems to take forever.

2) Ease of cleaning a wound and speed of healing. Falls happen...Whether you're in a group and hit someone's rear wheel or a dog runs out from behind a bush into the backside of your front wheel while checking traffic behind you (the one with the dog happened to me). It's not a question of if you're gonna fall; it's a question of when. The though of getting shaved after the fact sounds much less desirable than having it already done. Further, that area is already going to be tender and the last thing I want is somebody trying to shave my uneven abrasion affected areas.

3) My wife absolutely hates for my legs to be smoother than hers! I never say anything about it but she will notice and will go shave if I'm smoother. So I basically get 4 silky smooth legs for the personal effort of just shaving 2! She also seems to like my legs shaved.

4) Respect for the sport. You wouldn't go to gym to play basketball with a cheapo, multicolored rubber ball....you better show up with a good leather ball to be taken seriously. You also wouldn't enter a race wearing the rainbow jersey/kit....unless your name is Paolo Bettini.

5) Messages. They freakin' hurt when you're getting a deep leg message and you get a finger or thumb that pushes a hair down and over. I want a message....not my hair pulled! The novelty of having my hair pulled wore off in preschool!

I do like the way my legs look shaved but that by itself was never really a reason to do it. I thought they looked good with hair too.

One last thought....It's not manly? I double dog dare you to tell that to a bodybuilder! Most of them shave their whole bodies. Go ahead! Do it! Call 'em a sissy!!!!

Anyone overly hung up on hair or the lack thereof really has much bigger issues.

14. 9202

9202 New Member

Exactly, I have always been a big fan of a clean shaven woman. Something about hairless skin rubbing against mine that sends shivers down my back.

15. Gueron

Gueron New Member

From what I've noted, shaving your legs, and other parts of your body, supposedly cuts down on drag. Another reason is that cyclists generally have strong legs and it is a way of showing of the musculature. You have the same sort of thing happening in swimming, which I've a bit more experience with.

Still, unless you are super-competitive, and there is no shame in that, I think it is mostly personal choice. I have no reason to shave my legs, and besides, if I did, I think my wife would be most disappointed. :)

Why not? If you are playing basketball, and you aren't breaking the rules, what does the gear matter, unless it harms your game? That has nothing to do with respect and everything to do with status.

I admit it would be hard to play basketball with a flat ball, but a rubber one, isn't so bad.

I grew up in Kentucky, where basketball is almost a state religion, and I played with multi-colored basketballs (The ABF basketball was multi-colored), I played with rubber basketballs, I played with leather basketballs, but I played with them.

That's almost as bad as saying that you need to buy a multi-thousand dollar bike if you want to start cycling. Much better to start cycling, learn, and buy better equipment as you feel the need of it.

Gueron

16. TadThomas

TadThomas New Member

Granted, you can play with a rubber ball, however if there is a pickup game about to happen which one is actually selected??? You know the answer!!! :p The leather ball will be selected every time.

I'm from North Carolina where it is looked upon similarly....except we have more powerhouse collegiate teams. :)

Rubber multicolored basketballs are alot like riding a moped or going out on a date with a very large person.....they're a lot of fun unless/until your friends see you!

I don't care about what anybody rides....I've seen people pull away from others on a cheap POS and I've seen people riding top of the line stuff that they really didn't have a need for.....however it wasn't my money so it's not my deal. Everybody would like the cycling equivelent of a Rolls Royce.

I'll change my metaphor a bit....suppose you show up at the gym to play ball in knee high black business socks. To go a step further let's say we make them argyle. Better?

At any rate, I was stating the reasons why I do it. Speaking of which, reason # 3 is waiting for me to shutdown and come to bed! :D

17. cyclesox

cyclesox New Member

I agree, most cycle guys that are smooth and hard look amazing. Who wouldnt want to look like that!

18. cyclesox

cyclesox New Member

Its like soccer players that shave their heads on the college team. Especially for guys its important and healty to belong to a team or fraternity of guys that share a similar interest.

19. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

To go a step further let's say we make them argyle.

Like Slipsteam Chipotle's kit?

'Style'...such that it is...is in the eye of the beholder.

Jersey...shorts...socks...gloves...even the car is stylish argyle!:D

[​IMG]

20. zigoat

zigoat New Member

leg shaving by male cyclists has the effect of keeping idiots who judge others based on something as frivolous (sp) as wether one shaves his legs or not out of the peloton so we don't have to listen to their drivel over the course of a multi hour ride.