SHAVING & MASSAGING

macca1234

Aug 9, 2005
what are the proper techniques for both? i shaved my legs for the first time last week and it took about 2 hours!!! how often are you supposed to shave & also is there a technique to warming down/rubbing down? is so let me know.

macca1234 said:
what are the proper techniques for both? i shaved my legs for the first time last week and it took about 2 hours!!! how often are you supposed to shave & also is there a technique to warming down/rubbing down? is so let me know.

2 hours you gotta be kidding. do it in the shower, use shave cream. if you have a lot of hair use electric hair clippers first then use a razor. as far as how often is up to you, and depends how quick your hair grows. i get by shaving once a week, others may have to shave 2-4 times a week.

2 hours, no kidding. I had really wooly legs...about 2-3cm and i used a double blade razor, very boring hehehe.

macca1234 said:
2 hours, no kidding. I had really wooly legs...about 2-3cm and i used a double blade razor, very boring hehehe.
Wrap packing tape round you legs, then unwrap. It has to be quicker.

a blow torch works really well, too. an old trick i learned at the chicken processing plant. ;)

macca1234 said:
any tips on massaging. just rub youre legs or is there a skill to it?
It's best done by someone else. A girlfriend would be good here. DON'T go to a massage parlour.
You can buy books on the subject, also attend classes and learn how, and probably a few intenet sites will be able to give you instructions.

Don Shipp said:
DON'T go to a massage parlour.
Why not? Massage therapists are very helpful, but...

if you want to do it yourself, buy "the stick". Used by US olympic athletes, Lance's team chiro used it on him and the team at the TdF, Florida State did a nice study on it (you get a brochure with highlights of the study in the package)

Go to intracell.net.

Don Shipp said:
Wrap packing tape round you legs, then unwrap. It has to be quicker.
don - that is the funniest thing i have heard all day.

i shave every 2 weeks or so.

if you want a happy ending find a nice palour and pay cash. If you want a deep tissue massage ask around to some of your local riders and maybe they can recommend someone there locally.

Don Shipp said:
It's best done by someone else. A girlfriend would be good here. DON'T go to a massage parlour.
You can buy books on the subject, also attend classes and learn how, and probably a few intenet sites will be able to give you instructions.
Never mind!

macca1234 said:
Hey Macca! Exfolliating, ie, using a synthetic loofah washclothe before you shave helps prevent ingrown hair problem. Also, don't shave up to your crotch...more ingrown probs. Use clean, new blades and shave cream or liquid soap when you do shave. Macca, if you do get rubs, always shave after your rub, not before....before will make the massage a cause for ingrowns again. If you don't have the luxury of a team Soigneur giving you a massage every day, and can only afford one rub every other week , for example, get it after your most difficult training day, because typically you would go easier the next day anyway and the massage will help increase your recovery rate. Good Luck Macca! Shelley Verses, Soigneur!

I once tried to *ahem* tidy up .... well, let's not go there. Took a long time. How do the girls do it? Have you tried Nair or some other non-cutting tool?

Shelley,

Thanks for the info. Any advice for maintaining my stamina on a cross country bike trip?

PANier:

Yes, I have lots of advice for you! Hopefully you fit and focused for your trip.....if not, you will be by the time you get to where you are going, I reckon. From A Soigneurs point of view you must stay hydrated ie.water and electrolytically. You must stay fueled ie. solid fuel / food or glucose polymer drinks/liquid fuel. You must protect yourself enough from sun exposure so that it does not hinder your performance on the bike. and you MUST look after your chamois / crotch / care as to prevent and care for saddle sores. Sleep enough. eat and drink enough. Clean dry chamois every day; do not hang around at all in wet cycling clothes. Clean sox every day. I will not answer any questions re: mecanics . Good Luck PAN man, I hope you do enjoy your trip, Shelley Verses

Thanks Shelley,

You're the greatest! I have my own online Sougnier. Can I Email you along the way?

PANier said:
Thanks Shelley,

You're the greatest! I have my own online Sougnier. Can I Email you along the way?

Of course you can PANman!! Be careful! The full moon is on the 17th October; don't ride too long.....don't get too wild! Good luck!

Shelley Vs.