shaving -- not another thread on should I or not -- questions

drmac618

Jul 12, 2004
OK, so I have made a decision to shave -- my thought was if I didn't like it the hair would grow back...... well my wife started talking about ingrown hairs and such that has me worried.

Is this likely? What can I do to avoid this? what else do I have to worry about?

Also, shold I shave my arms? My purpose for shaving is to show commitment to the sport, motivation for me, and for help with road rash when I crash........ so, what do I do about arms?

drmac618 said:
OK, so I have made a decision to shave -- my thought was if I didn't like it the hair would grow back...... well my wife started talking about ingrown hairs and such that has me worried.

Is this likely? What can I do to avoid this? what else do I have to worry about?

Also, shold I shave my arms? My purpose for shaving is to show commitment to the sport, motivation for me, and for help with road rash when I crash........ so, what do I do about arms?

Shaving...ingrown hairs are an issue, moreso the higher up you shave. Best advice...sharp blade, good lubricant/shaving cream (don't use soap) and exfoliate. A loofah bath sponge does a great job. Me, I wax. It's so much saner, not to mentioned civilized, but to each his/her own...

Other issues...freshly shaved skin will be sensitive. Sunscreen can sting and irritate if you're prone that way.

Can't help you with the fashion issue of arms...but I will warn you that shaving under the arms and then hitting the bike immediately can be a little ouchy...salt, sweat, little tiny nicks in the skin...can you say OUCH? Deodorant can also irritate freshly shaved underarms.

A loofa sponge (which is a naturally occuring sponge) helps a lot with ingrowns.

For your underarms, I'd recommend just trimming it fairly short. Dont bother shaving your arms, but if your a hairy ape you can trim it a bit :D .

No back hair, thats just gross.