shaving problems :(

dsschanze

Jan 14, 2007
So anyway...I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but I can't keep going through the itching. I'm 17-male and have been shaving my legs for about a year and a half now. I had absolutely no problems until about 3-4 months ago when everytime after I shave, I have lots of problems with ingrown hairs and itching. I shave in the shower with pretty warm water, shaving cream, and a Gillette Fusion (5 blade) razor. I would really like to stop having problems because those little red bumps detract from the rest of my legs. I appreciate any advice :)!

Happy riding,

ds

dsschanze said:
So anyway...I'm a little embarrassed to ask, but I can't keep going through the itching. I'm 17-male and have been shaving my legs for about a year and a half now. I had absolutely no problems until about 3-4 months ago when everytime after I shave, I have lots of problems with ingrown hairs and itching. I shave in the shower with pretty warm water, shaving cream, and a Gillette Fusion (5 blade) razor. I would really like to stop having problems because those little red bumps detract from the rest of my legs. I appreciate any advice :)!

Happy riding,

ds
Dear Itchy,

If you can't put out over 300watts for an hour (~25mph on a road bike) then do yourself a favour and let the fuzz grow, otherwise shave in long smooth strokes upwards, against the direction of the hairs. I used to find it easier and much quicker if you never lifted the razor and just kept it pressed against the skin while moving it up and down.

You could try using Sorbolene and glycerine cream instead of the shaving cream. Sorbolene and glycerine cream is often recommended by dermatologists as a soap substitute so it works well for shaving (this is what I use) and it has the added bonus that because it is also a moisturiser, your skin doesn't get dry after shaving (it could be dry skin that is causing the bumps and itching)

Shave in the direction of the hairs.

Take a loofah sponge, a firm brush, or your fingers and scrub your skin until it gets a bit red, if shaving the right way doesn't do it.

garage sale GT said:
Shave in the direction of the hairs.

Take a loofah sponge, a firm brush, or your fingers and scrub your skin until it gets a bit red, if shaving the right way doesn't do it.
What does scrubbing the skin do?

Try a different razor with fewer blades. Those 5 blade things cause problems for some people.

The problem with exfoliation is that if you do it too vigorously, you can cause further irritation. Personally, I've never done it.

However, I swear by the use of sorbolene and glycerine cream as a "shaving cream". FWIW I use a 3-blade.