Shaving the Legs

I don't really care either way. I don't shave anything myself. I always hated shaving and no product out there seemed to be able to prevent razor burn, so when I moved to this town and found out there are quite a lot of women here who haven't used a razor in years, I decided to quit and just go natural. I haven't been around many people who are serious road cyclists, so I was not aware that men were shaving for this reason. I would not have a problem with it if that's what they want to do, though I don't care for the look myself, but it's not my body, so I don't need to like it.

Shaved and unshaven legs both look good to me. If you want to shave, then go for it! You can also shave them and then let the hair grow back if you find that you really don't like the shaved leg look or feel.

Well, I'm not the type of girl who goes around looking at the level of hair retention on shins to figure out whether or not someone is worth talking to. I'd love to meet those people if they did exist. It's meaningless to me. If a dude is more comfortable shaving than not, cool beans. If he's a hairy Robin Williams, cool beans but maybe trim a tad so I don't get lost in the forest that is you?

I think it depends on their tan. If they have a decent tan I can't tell the difference. If they're really, rally pale and you can see every individual hair follicle, just don't do it...

I personally like my men with hair. Im not sure i understand the reasoning of male cyclists shaving their legs and I dont judge to those that do I just prefer them not to.

I used to ask the jocks in high school; why do you guys shave your legs? We (my crew and I) thought it was so funny. I just thought they must be crazy; girls do that. One of them told me it's to move faster on the field. I was so appalled. WHAT? Move faster on the field, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Lol, I guess these athletes have the same train of thought. Now that I’m older, it is kind of a turn on they are that dedicated though.

Eileen100

This thread is so new to me. I guess I haven't been paying attention cos I never knew that some male cyclists shaved their legs for cycling related purposes. Personally, I shave pretty regular in the summer/fall and much less regularly in the winter. Thankfully, I'm dark and my leg hair is dark so people don't really notice (I hope).

In the advent of the cycling short, men with hair on their legs looks okay to me, no need for a shave. Some men get irritation rashes when they shave their beard or moustache and shaving the legs may give some men that irritation too. But with women, perhaps there's no one here who needs to shave her legs because we are naturally not hairy in that part.

Corzhens said:
In the advent of the cycling short, men with hair on their legs looks okay to me, no need for a shave. Some men get irritation rashes when they shave their beard or moustache and shaving the legs may give some men that irritation too. But with women, perhaps there's no one here who needs to shave her legs because we are naturally not hairy in that part.
:/ Huh? A lot of women have hairy legs, some don't shave them because it's not necessary to, let men accept their nature. I don't know what you meant naturally not hairy in that part :/ That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard lol.

This happens only at the highest level of competition to end friction, so it's not something common between recreational riders. Except for women of course. :D

Sunflogun said:
This happens only at the highest level of competition to end friction, so it's not something common between recreational riders. Except for women of course. :D
Did you read what she said though? lol

Talking from a male perspective, it really bothers me to cycle and have hairy legs at the same time. It just doesn't look good.

I think it is okay. Frankly, I do not think that whether I like or dislike it matters. If you want to shave your legs, do so, if you do not wish to do so, leave them unshaved!

kylerlittle said:
Did you read what she said though? lol
I did, but I never heard of irritation for shaving? Also, women aren't hairy on the legs seriously?

This is great for his speed. However, I do not find a man with shaved legs to be too attractive as far as like maybe going out on a date with. I would find that a little awkward. But of course for a many cyclist to shave his legs, it helps with speed.

In my opinion, shaving body hair in general is unneeded and really just pushed on people as a weird standard of what is attractive or not. As far as I know, the only reason shaving became so popular and common in the first place is because shaving companies did ad campaigns in order to - you guessed it - sell more razors by setting that as the 'ideal' look. I do not shave my legs personally, but I don't feel any need to judge people who do, whether they're male or female. Men shaving their legs is admittedly a strange concept to me but I figure that they can do whatever they want with their body hair if that's what they want, and that's what makes them happy.

Sunflogun said:
I did, but I never heard of irritation for shaving? Also, women aren't hairy on the legs seriously?
Women are hairy on the legs, that is something that is natural, I've seen a non-shaved woman leg, it's just as much as a guy.

Yep, but when we discuss this usually we talk about competition level, only at that level men are shaving.

Competitive level yeah I can see the desire to shave. Swimmers are the same way. It gives them a minuscule advantage and if there's a medical emergency then it's easier to address than if someone were full blown hairy. Other than that, it should be up the person for their preferences.

I think more than male cyclists shave their legs. There are a lot of male athletes that shave their legs all together. This is because it helps give them a little speed.