shaving

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by craigdurkee, Aug 13, 2006.

1. craigdurkee

craigdurkee New Member

does it really make a difference or are we all being a little to over the top here

i would appreciate some common sence answers

Tags:

2. NickDavid

NickDavid New Member

I was thinking the same thing today. I used the search feature and found a funny thread. Definitely take a read.

http://cyclingforums.com/t177631.html

3. heathb

heathb New Member

For racers that get post race massages it does, and it does help with wound dressings.

For the rest of us it's done because hairy legs in cycling shorts look a bit gross. It doesn't do anything as far as making you faster.

I've had positive and negative comments thrown my way because of shaving, but I used to do lots of body building and most of those guys shave their entire body.

4. brad g

brad g New Member

I was reluctant to shave my legs, but I have always shaved my arms because I get a lot of minor injuries at work and am always having to band aid them and really don't like the feeling of having hair ripped from the skin. I did shave my legs and really haven't noticed any real benefit to it, other than it makes the tape from my ankle come off easier. It feels kinda weird to do the first time, but I don't think it's a real big deal, and boils down to a matter of personal preference. I think most will say that it's to facilitate cleanup of injuries. I haven't had the pleasure of road rash yet, so I can't really say, but I can see how it would help since most cyclists don't carry a first-aid kit with them and only have bottled water at their disposal. And I looked at it from this perspective: It's only hair and it will grow back.

5. NickDavid

NickDavid New Member

I shave my a$$ and my ( ) )==D

Feels nice and makes you look bigger, lol!

6. jimmay2000

jimmay2000 New Member

Do you use the same razor on your face?

7. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

It makes it a lot easier to apply sun screen to your legs. It shows off your muscles better. Chicks dig it--at least the ones who don't think you are gay do. :eek: Other riders in a group are more likely to trust riding behind you. It is the price of admission for joining the REAL cyclist club.

8. fauxpas

fauxpas New Member

When I lost heaps of weight and hit the gym, about 15 years ago, I was suddenly able to wear shorts again without embarrassment. Problem was, I had not worn them for so long, my legs were much whiter than everywhere else.

So the aerobics instructor lady said I should shave my legs when sunbathing to speed up the tanning process. And it worked well.

The most practical reason for cycle shaving, though, is linked to why Army dudes have crew cuts or shaved heads. So wounds are easier treated and heal faster and cleaner. That's what I tell my missus anyway...

9. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

It's part of the uniform. Hairy legs are the equivalent of gym shorts and tube socks; the serious guys shave.

10. PartisanRanger

PartisanRanger New Member

Waste of time. It seems like a hell of a lot to do on regular intervals just to look more cyclist-y. While you're busy making your legs pretty, I'm climbing more hills so I can smoke you and your smooth legs.

11. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

I take enough crap for wearing spandex... if I shaved my legs as well, my non-cycling buddies are going to start thinking I'm a bit loose in the wrist. Also, I don't have a professional masseuse, and I don't have a road rash problem because I make it a point not to fall off my bike... I'm real picky about this part.

12. fauxpas

fauxpas New Member

No fear, as you know, I'm the only gay in this forum!

13. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

And not that there's anything wrong with that... my experience has been that gay people are normally way nicer than straight people on average. It's just not good if your network of friends thinks you're gay when you're trying to hook up with chicks. I'm sure gay people likewise wouldn't want all their gay friends thinking they are straight... just not a good repuation to have.

14. heathb

heathb New Member

Dude leg shaving has got nothing to do with you sexual preference. Imagine a hairy chimp in cycling shorts.......some men look like this.

Go to a race sometime and take a look around, everyone is shaved and they look damn good because of it. Body builders have been doing this forever and you think all these men in the magazines aren't shaving the hair on their chest? I agree that shaving should be a matter of choice and I don't see a need for everyone to do it. Actually I think some men are better off not doing it, because they don't spend enough time cycling to justify the effort.

15. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

I 100% agree with this, I just don't want to explain this to every one of my friends, and every chick that already thinks its funny that I wear "those tight little shorts".

Dude leg shaving has got nothing to do with the amount of time you spend cycling. It's a personal preference, you should do it if you think it looks good, end of story. I rode over 9000 miles last year and I still hold this belief.

16. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

The lucky one get there legs shaved first time by girlfriends and wives (sometimes friends) and I have heard more than once that it was followed by the best $ex ever!!

Not only do you do it for easing of cleaning up road rash and massages, its a RIGHT OF PASSAGE for all new racers!!!

And -yes-90% of girls do dig it!!