she went out and bought this bike.....

finlander

Mar 26, 2007
...grrrr...it looks ok...has the same frame look as a Trek. Anyway, I had to tighten down one Allen screw already on the bars. Hmmm. I raised it on the kickstand and spun the back wheel and went thru the shifting of the gears. It is a 7 speed. There is a 'clicking' noise from the chain. Is this rubbing on the other gears? The rear wheel wobbles when I spun it too. Not too bad but ever so slightly. What problems is this going to cause down the road? By riding the bike and putting a load on the rim is it going to bend more??? One last question, please remain seated, is it easy to change the grips? These are rough and have little nubs sticking up. Is tubing a standard size industry wide??? And, are frames made by a small number of companies over there and different stickers slapped on by Cannondale Trek etc? Thanks for your patience, you may leave now.:rolleyes:

The problems you describe probably aren't serious. The clicking can be the chain rubbing, as you suspect, and indicates that the shift cable needs to be adjusted so that the derailer is holding the chain directly in line with the gear. This is done with the cables's barrel adjuster, either at the shifter or the deraileur. The wheel wobble can indicate that the wheel just needs some truing, by adjusting the spokes. A more serious problem would be if the wheel has play at the wheel bearing. This could be felt by pushing the wheel side to side and you could feel the slop in the bearing. If you don't feel comfortable making the adjustments, take the bike to a bike shop for a tune up. Is this a new bike or a used one ? I see your previous post about used bikes. Handgrips are usually a standard size. Does the bike have twist grip shifters ?

It is a new bike and it has a twist shifter on the right side only. Seems the grips are very short in length. I plan on stopping at a bike shop on the way to work tomorrow. I hope to find a bike that will tide me over til next spring, when i can get a new Trek. I want to ride with my wife, not walk along side and not wanting her to go alone. Thanks for the help. Oh, I went to spin that rear wheel again, and the wheel looks steady whereas the outside edge of the tire is, 'off' abit. I dont foresee a problem with it.