She Who Bicycles With Fishes

Claire Petersky

Guest
On my ride this morning the real issue wasn't snow that was rapidly melting under the pelting rain.
Instead it was floodwater, from a day and a half or so of hard rain and apparently over night snow.
I skipped Kamber Road yesterday, figuring it would be flooded...

(which reminds me -- where were all of you yesterday? Dane? Where were you? Huh? I had the I-90
trail practically to myself! What's up with that?)

...but I gave it a try this morning. I spotted the Road Closed sign, but I figured, "how bad could
it be?", being too lazy to turn around and ride back up the hill. I found out how bad it could be.
The waters of Richard's Creek went way over the tops of my neoprene booties as I gingerly walked the
bike through the icy, fast-moving water. The officer stationed there said, "Got your feet wet?" and
I admitted, "A little".

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato and .net for .com

Home of the meditative cyclist: http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm

Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at: http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

In article <UBUub.188012$mZ5.1364052@attbi_s54>, "Claire Petersky"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On my ride this morning the real issue wasn't snow that was rapidly melting under the pelting
> rain. Instead it was floodwater, from a day and a half or so of hard rain and apparently over
> night snow. I skipped Kamber Road yesterday, figuring it would be flooded...
>
> (which reminds me -- where were all of you yesterday? Dane? Where were you? Huh? I had the I-90
> trail practically to myself! What's up with that?)
>
> ...but I gave it a try this morning. I spotted the Road Closed sign, but I figured, "how bad could
> it be?", being too lazy to turn around and ride back up the hill. I found out how bad it could be.
> The waters of Richard's Creek went way over the tops of my neoprene booties as I gingerly walked
> the bike through the icy, fast-moving water. The officer stationed there said, "Got your feet
> wet?" and I admitted, "A little".
>
> --

I hate that feeling! I got marooned one day this summer by a horrendous storm and after waiting out
the worst of it in a bus shelter, continued home and there were huge enormous puddles due to blocked
drains. NO way to get around them, it was just flooded! So of course my shoes were drenched and
squishing around inside. Of course, the good thing is it was summer and warm, not freezing cold. And
because it had been raining and the roads were still damp, I was on my cross bike wearing mountain
shoes, not my nice road shoes! Still, it felt yuchy.

Hope you don't get sick!

> On my ride this morning the real issue wasn't snow that was rapidly
melting
> under the pelting rain. Instead it was floodwater, from a day and a
half or
> so of hard rain and apparently over night snow. I skipped Kamber
Road
> yesterday, figuring it would be flooded...
>
> (which reminds me -- where were all of you yesterday? Dane? Where
were you?
> Huh? I had the I-90 trail practically to myself! What's up with
that?)

> ...but I gave it a try this morning. I spotted the Road Closed
sign, but I
> figured, "how bad could it be?", being too lazy to turn around and
ride back
> up the hill. I found out how bad it could be. The waters of
Richard's Creek
> went way over the tops of my neoprene booties as I gingerly walked
the bike
> through the icy, fast-moving water. The officer stationed there
said, "Got
> your feet wet?" and I admitted, "A little".
>
> --
> Warm Regards,
>
> Claire Petersky

Nice day for going north from Seattle to south Everett, too. Steady snow all the way out, a foot of
water over the road on Maple under the Mukilteo Speedway , and the 20 minute hail storm on the way
home was a nice touch. I must have looked like a camel driver in a sandstorm with my wool scarf
wrapped around my face. Who needs adventure travel when you have eXtreme Commuting.

Still, it was a lot more fun than driving up I-5 would have been, and probably safer today.

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 01:16:36 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

And here I thought this would be one of those "A woman without a man is like a fish without a
bicycle" rants.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. _`\(,_ | That is easy. All
you have to do is tell them they are being (_)/ (_) | attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for
lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any <country. --
Hermann Goering

<[email protected]> writes:

> ...but I gave it a try this morning. I spotted the Road Closed sign, but I figured, "how bad could
> it be?", being too lazy to turn around and ride back up the hill. I found out how bad it could be.
> The waters of Richard's Creek went way over the tops of my neoprene booties as I gingerly walked
> the bike through the icy, fast-moving water. The officer stationed there said, "Got your feet
> wet?" and I admitted, "A little".

Claire, you seem to have an affinity for water :) As I recall, you had a similar fluvial encounter
a year or two (or three?) ago.

Elemental water is said by some to be symbolic of spirituality, so maybe it's not so surprising.

cheers, Tom