Sheds, garages & workshops

Yonni

May 1, 2010
I've only got a typical small garden shed with 3 bikes in it and a couple of work tops. I have to take the bikes out if I want to do any work in there. We will have to move soon as we want a bigger garden for our son once he can walk. So I got thinking about what I would like as a workshop for my bikes. I decided that I would like a decent sized shed to store and work on the bikes and also train on a turbo, with a porch where I can put my hammock. I can't find anything that fits the bill online so I may have to custom build it. Anyway, does anyone have any photos or tales of their own garages or workshops to give me inspiration?

It's a mortal sin to keep bikes any place but inside your house. Honest.

sounds like you're going to have a sweet shed there when you're done. i like the idea of training in there. i've been on my rollers in the garage in the past. and it gets cold up here.

my wife gets upset seeing wheels and other bike related paraphenelia inside the house.

i have seen some nice set-ups done in basements though. once saw a guy with a crazy collection of rides. some mounted on special bike mount against the wall...others mounted on a post. phenomenal. this guy had at least 10 very, very nice rides. if i find a pic i'll post it....it was that nice that i asked if i could take a picture.

Well, if you want the ultimate bike workshop, you need to follow the lead of a guy in Tucson. See, he was a doc that invented an artificial heart and thusly made a ton of money. As a cycling enthusiast with tons of money, he buys one or two bikes a month. Yes, he's got a lot of bikes. He's got so many--and cars, too, I guess--that when his neighbor's million dollar plus house went up for sale, he bought the house, razed it, and built a place in which to store all of his bike and cars.

That I'd love to see! Imagine. A whole new building to store your bikes? I can't imagine what this looks like. I did a quick google and it turned up zilch.

Wonder if he hires a personal mechanic to do all the work?? If I had that kind of money. I'd spring for a private velodrome out back. Hold weekly races and tt's for fellow cyclists.

Now you've got me thinking! I was going for a Thai beach hut style:

33840_2.jpg

Obviously a bit smarter than this one with glass doors opening onto the porch where I'd have my hammock & cushions. But now I'm thinking about a hot tub and sauna too for the post race R&R.

Yonni said:
I've only got a typical small garden shed with 3 bikes in it and a couple of work tops. I have to take the bikes out if I want to do any work in there. We will have to move soon as we want a bigger garden for our son once he can walk. So I got thinking about what I would like as a workshop for my bikes. I decided that I would like a decent sized shed to store and work on the bikes and also train on a turbo, with a porch where I can put my hammock. I can't find anything that fits the bill online so I may have to custom build it. Anyway, does anyone have any photos or tales of their own garages or workshops to give me inspiration?

I have the back section of my garage decked out as my workshop, I have a tool cupboard a couple of work benches and my bikes mounted on the wall. I use my trainer inside however, as I have a room dedicated as a gym.

I have a small corner of the basement. It is just large enough for a bike on the repair stand and a small table for my toolbox and a few other odds and ends like pedals, etc. I do have room enough also for two bikes, usually my daily ride and whichever one I am working on at the moment. I have a rented storage unit for four of my bikes and all the parts that I have accumulated over the years.

kdelong said:
I have a small corner of the basement. It is just large enough for a bike on the repair stand and a small table for my toolbox and a few other odds and ends like pedals, etc. I do have room enough also for two bikes, usually my daily ride and whichever one I am working on at the moment. I have a rented storage unit for four of my bikes and all the parts that I have accumulated over the years.

Haha. This one has to be up there! Renting a unit to keep the bikes and parts!!!! I love it! Great idea. My wife would wonder if I had a mistress if I did that. Tell us.....do you keep a little futon or inlfatable mattress there too?? That'd run me over 100$/mth minimum here. Love the idea though....ill have to keep that in the back of my mind for the future.

Whilst I don't share the same level of bike devotion as Alienator and keep the bikes in the actual house - they do stay in the garage, half of which is devoted to bikes and the other half to the the old project car. The 'regular' cars can stay outside in the baking sun, wind and rain... The bikes, the trainer and all the associated stuff, like spare parts, tools, lubes/cleaners stay indoors.

CdnRider said:
Haha. This one has to be up there! Renting a unit to keep the bikes and parts!!!! I love it! Great idea. My wife would wonder if I had a mistress if I did that. Tell us.....do you keep a little futon or inlfatable mattress there too?? That'd run me over 100$/mth minimum here. Love the idea though....ill have to keep that in the back of my mind for the future.
$60/mth is what I pay. No futon or inflatable mattress, just four bikes and a set of shelves for the parts. There isn't room for much else. When I want to ride one of the other bikes, what I do is take one of my bikes from the house to the storage unit, swap it for one of the other bikes, bring it home and get it ready for a ride the next day.Btw, I have no wife to worry about, and it was my girlfriend's idea. She helped me set it up and has gone with me on several trips to the unit so she knows I'm not messing around. The storage unit is pretty close to the house and on my route to and from my work place so it is usually only 10 minutes added to my trip home after work.

Clear a spot in the basement? That way, you keep the bikes in the house, and you can maintain them in the comfort of air conditioning or heat! :D

I'm going to move all my stuff into the basement. I have a walk-out basement, so it would be easy just to wheel the bikes right into the backyard and through the doorway for the sliding door.

This is a problem I have to think about. At the moment I keep my two bikes in the house, supposedly in the cellar but usually in the dinning room. When we view houses she's looking at where to put wall units and I'm looking at where to keep my bikes. She's adamant that there will be no bikes in the new house. So I'm thinking of getting a large shed. It'll have to be secure and well alarmed with plenty of space. Personally I always like the dining room for putting bikes in, what else is a dining room for?

decca234uk said:
This is a problem I have to think about. At the moment I keep my two bikes in the house, supposedly in the cellar but usually in the dinning room. When we view houses she's looking at where to put wall units and I'm looking at where to keep my bikes. She's adamant that there will be no bikes in the new house. So I'm thinking of getting a large shed. It'll have to be secure and well alarmed with plenty of space. Personally I always like the dining room for putting bikes in, what else is a dining room for?

Sounds like it's time to trade the old girl in on a new model. :D Will you have an office in the new house? Basement? I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing my bike was outside the house.