Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Sheldon Brown, 1944-2008

Started by Robert Chung · · Last activity · 203 posts · 5,190 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
4 February 2008
Last activity
21 February 2008
Original author
Robert Chung
Posts
203
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
5,190
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 203
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    Exactly.

    He was one of a kind, but there should be many others like him.

  2. Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    oh dear, a friend lost.

  3. Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    Man, does this bite. Sheldon saved me SO MUCH money. His website taught
    me how to confidently approach the kids behind the counter in the LBS
    and talk sense to them.

    I really wonder if I would be biking as much if not for Sheldon.

  4. Robert Perkins said:

    I find myself tearing up even though I
    only knew him through his writings.

    Me, too.

  5. Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    This is really a shame. Harris Cyclery is nominally local to me and
    one of the things that gets me to schlep out there (besides excellent
    service, inventory, knowledge etc) is the possibility of running into
    Sheldon, or even asking him about whatever it was I was in the shop
    for. I unfortunately never managed to meet him, though his coworkers
    never disappointed.

    It seemed that he was dealing with his illness well and more or less
    enjoying his forced semi-retirement and convalescence. I hope that
    was accurate and that he went more or less comfortably with family
    around him.

    He'll be missed.

    -Gabriel Ytterberg

  6. Ryan Cousineau said:


    There's far too much about Sheldon that is worth memorializing, but
    his sense of humor (manifest in both the great "Carapace Completed
    Umber" series and the even greater April 1st ShelBroCo offerings)
    stands out:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/carapace.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

    However, the massive volume of practical cycling pages (mostly
    revolving around bike mechanics) he assembled endures as, simply, the
    most useful bike-related website on the planet. Although it is now
    arguably so comprehensive as to verge on being complete, I hope that
    somehow, either within Harris Cyclery or otherwise, someone can step
    up and maintain the service.

    Alas, it's not a trivial endeavor.

    No, it's not a trivial endeavor.

    I didn't know Sheldon Brown personally, but he would seem like the kind of
    man who would want his web pages to continue and grow and serve as a
    resource. But this will be a big helmet to fill, even without the eagle on
    the top.

    At a time when websites are becoming more standardized and corporate, his
    was not only a treasure-trove of information but a personal treasure-trove.
    You were not only getting good advice, you were getting it from a person --
    a person who cared deeply about the topic he was writing about.

    He not only invented the real man saddle
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html
    he was a real man.

    --
    Mike Kruger
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.
    Claudius; 10 BC-AD 54, Roman Emperor

  7. Quoted message said:

    However, the massive volume of practical cycling pages (mostly
    revolving around bike mechanics) he assembled endures as, simply, the
    most useful bike-related website on the planet. Although it is now
    arguably so comprehensive as to verge on being complete, I hope that
    somehow, either within Harris Cyclery or otherwise, someone can step
    up and maintain the service.

    Alas, it's not a trivial endeavor.

    I know first-hand how time-consuming it can be to create relevant, original
    content that's personal, not cookie-cutter stuff. Sheldon will certainly be
    missed. Obviously, his content will be yet one part of his legacy that will
    live on.

    --Mike Jacoubowsky
    Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReaction.com
    Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

    "Ryan Cousineau" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Veloise said:
    Tom said:

    Not just a dark day for cycling but for humanity as a whole. He and I
    had
    been corresponding lately and he didn't give me the slightest hint that
    the
    illness he was suffering from was possibly fatal.

    ...

    From the MichBike list:
    "This came over a few of the Boston area lists today:

    Sheldon's wife Harriet sent out mail this morning saying that Sheldon
    Brown died of a massive heart attack last night."

    RIP Sheldon!

    --Karen D.

    Interesting. For those just catching up, Sheldon has been suffering
    for some time from a degenerative illness that was eventually
    diagnosed as Multiple Sclerosis. I'm no medical professional, but it
    sounds as if this heart attack wasn't really related to his illness.

    There's far too much about Sheldon that is worth memorializing, but
    his sense of humor (manifest in both the great "Carapace Completed
    Umber" series and the even greater April 1st ShelBroCo offerings)
    stands out:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/carapace.html
    http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

    However, the massive volume of practical cycling pages (mostly
    revolving around bike mechanics) he assembled endures as, simply, the
    most useful bike-related website on the planet. Although it is now
    arguably so comprehensive as to verge on being complete, I hope that
    somehow, either within Harris Cyclery or otherwise, someone can step
    up and maintain the service.

    Alas, it's not a trivial endeavor.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Kunich' cyclintom@yahoo. com said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden].

    .. On Feb 4 said:
    Quoted message said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    RIP indeed. This sucks in a way I can't hope to convey. This is a
    dark day for cycling.

    Not just a dark day for cycling but for humanity as a whole. He and I
    had been corresponding lately and he didn't give me the slightest
    hint that the illness he was suffering from was possibly fatal.

    In the short term, it wasn't. On another mailing list, Sheldon's wife
    Harriet Fell sent a note to a participant that Sheldon suffered a heart
    attack. He had even posted an entry to his journal that evening on his
    decision to vote for Barack Obama in the Massachusetts primary.

    I am very sad and shocked. Even though I had never met Sheldon, his
    presence on the Internet was so warm that I felt like I knew him. That
    seems to be the sentiment for many today.

    It's a reminder that there is not much point in being petty because,
    well, any minute might be our last.

    Tailwinds always, Sheldon!

  9. Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    Indeed it is a sad day.

    I had hoped to meet him in person this summer. Now I won't get the
    chance.

    Jeff

    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    +
    | If I have seen further it is by standing upon the shoulders of
    giants. |
    | Isaac
    Newton
    |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    +

  10. Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    sob

    Condolences for his immediate family from a member of the world wide
    community whose ride today was noticeably silent in the New England
    chill as hail crackled in the leaves beside the road. My ride
    functions flawlessly because Sheldon taught me just about everything
    that I know.

    bonjour ami

  11. Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    The Eagle has landed. 8(

  12. Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    that's sad news. condolences to friends and family.

    for the rest of us, we have a lot to be grateful for. a real giver.

  13. Words fail.

  14. Werehatrack said:

    Words fail.


    My thoughts also.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia

  15. Goodbye Sheldon.

    I shall aspire to have as positive a web presense as you did.

    JG

  16. Carl Sundquist said:

    "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    Quoted message said:

    RIP.

    Exactly.

    He was one of a kind, but there should be many others like him.

    Sheldon had a generous spirit. Which is not to say
    he was a pushover, because he wasn't, but in crotchety
    times and a sometimes unfriendly medium, he was
    always a gentleman.

    Ben

  17. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    If anyone wondered what sort of impact Sheldon had - here's something from
    the San Francisco Craigslist:

    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/563230363.html

  18. Ed Pirrero said:
    Robert Chung said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    Quoted message said:

    RIP.

    A sad day. He was an adult in a land of children, both in his
    knowledge of things bicycle, and his behavior in Usenet.

    And at the same time, kept the essential child's perspective - an
    invaluable thing for which there is no substitute.

    I kid you not: I introduced my own children to Sheldon on the World
    Wide Web only yesterday. Needless to say I too was stunned today. He
    lived, though, as well as anyone ever could, I believe - a great
    example thoroughly par excellence+

    Sheldon Brown lives forever - that is for sure. When you spread it
    around for the benefit of others, your impact is multiplied. With all
    that he touched (... oh [censored] - now I'm getting all verclempt)... and
    all that he documented... Well, there never was and never will be
    another like the amazing Sheldon :-)

  19. "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

    RIP.

    RIP

  20. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Robert Perkins said:

    I think his website sums it up really well:
    Sheldon wrote:

    Some Things I Believe In

    * Democracy
    * Duty
    * Equality
    * Exogamy
    * Family
    * Freedom
    * Justice
    * Kindness
    * Law
    * Love
    * Loyalty
    * Mathematics
    * Science
    * Space Exploration
    * Truth

    Some Things I Do Not Believe In

    * Angels
    * Astrology
    * Death Penalty
    * Devils
    * Elves
    * Faeries
    * Faith
    * Gods
    * "Intelligent Design"
    * Leprechauns
    * Luck
    * Magic
    * Racial Purity

    Those are some good thoughts.

    --
    tanx,
    Howard

    Whatever happened to
    Leon Trotsky?
    He got an icepick
    That made his ears burn.
    But I've already got a pitchfork...

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.