Sheldon Brown, 1944-2008

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On Feb 4, 2:43 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> > http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/
> >
> > RIP.

> RIP indeed. This sucks in a way I can't hope to convey. This is a
> dark day for cycling.

Not just a dark day for cycling but for humanity as a whole. He and I had
been corresponding lately and he didn't give me the slightest hint that the
illness he was suffering from was possibly fatal.

I first encountered Sheldon on the technical group. We seemed to agree with
each other on most things until I started discussing French bikes. We got
into an argument about the tubing and he really ****** me off since he
passed it off so easily without even bothering to look anything up. Reynolds
made 531 tubing in a special "French" size though it was only a tiny
difference you had to use different lugs, different components in some cases
and certainly a lot of failures on French bikes turned out to be using
English sized components on the French size tubes.

Eventually he sent me an email apologizing after he got around to checking
out what the argument was about and finding out that I was correct.

That was the only disagreement we had and it was only a tiny little thing.

Sheldon started early building websites pertaining to cycling early and
became very good at it. He also handled other website development and showed
a lot of people the effects of web advertising.

Sheldon was a humanitarian and leaves behind a wife and two children. I'll
miss him and I think that a large number of cyclists will.

Robert Chung wrote:
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/
>
> RIP.

Well I'll miss the old mans postings. He was helpful, considerate with
a great sense of humour and an ambassador for cycling. An example to us
all.

Tom wrote:
> Not just a dark day for cycling but for humanity as a whole. He and I had
> been corresponding lately and he didn't give me the slightest hint that the
> illness he was suffering from was possibly fatal.

From the MichBike list:
"This came over a few of the Boston area lists today:

Sheldon's wife Harriet sent out mail this morning saying that Sheldon
Brown died of a massive heart attack last night."

RIP Sheldon!

--Karen D.

On Feb 4, 1:43 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/
>
> RIP.

His was a voice of unfailing helpfulness and good humor. No newcomer
in need of advice can ever forget Sheldon Brown's web site and his
many contributions to the internet cycling dialogue.

--
Paul Turner

On Feb 4, 12:15 pm, Veloise <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tom wrote:
> > Not just a dark day for cycling but for humanity as a whole. He and I had
> > been corresponding lately and he didn't give me the slightest hint that the
> > illness he was suffering from was possibly fatal.

> From the MichBike list:
> "This came over a few of the Boston area lists today:
>
> Sheldon's wife Harriet sent out mail this morning saying that Sheldon
> Brown died of a massive heart attack last night."
>
> RIP Sheldon!
>
> --Karen D.

Interesting. For those just catching up, Sheldon has been suffering
for some time from a degenerative illness that was eventually
diagnosed as Multiple Sclerosis. I'm no medical professional, but it
sounds as if this heart attack wasn't really related to his illness.

There's far too much about Sheldon that is worth memorializing, but
his sense of humor (manifest in both the great "Carapace Completed
Umber" series and the even greater April 1st ShelBroCo offerings)
stands out:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/carapace.html
http://sheldonbrown.com/chainclean.html

However, the massive volume of practical cycling pages (mostly
revolving around bike mechanics) he assembled endures as, simply, the
most useful bike-related website on the planet. Although it is now
arguably so comprehensive as to verge on being complete, I hope that
somehow, either within Harris Cyclery or otherwise, someone can step
up and maintain the service.

Alas, it's not a trivial endeavor.

On Feb 4, 3:34 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Feb 4, 1:43 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

> > RIP.

> A mighty large pair of shoes to fill.
>
> --Tom Paterson aka Dustoyevsky

Definitely a huge loss, and we're all a lot poorer for it, but a whole
lot richer as riders, and people from what he gave to all of us out
here.
Just a wonderful, eccentric, real, human being, and someone we all
could be a bit more like.
Bill Crowther

Others have already said more than I could. Goodbye, Sheldon, we will
miss you.

- JR

Tom Kunich wrote:

> I first encountered Sheldon on the technical group. We seemed to agree
> with each other on most things until I started discussing French bikes.
> We got into an argument about the tubing and he really ****** me off
> since he passed it off so easily without even bothering to look anything
> up. Reynolds made 531 tubing in a special "French" size though it was
> only a tiny difference you had to use different lugs, different
> components in some cases and certainly a lot of failures on French bikes
> turned out to be using English sized components on the French size tubes.
>
> Eventually he sent me an email apologizing after he got around to
> checking out what the argument was about and finding out that I was
> correct.

Why didn't you spend more time remembering his good qualities instead of
, again, pontificating on how smart you (think you) are ?

I really found your post to be completely out of line. Even for you.

Bill

On Feb 4, 1:43 pm, Robert Chung <[email protected]> wrote:
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/
>
> RIP.

What a nice guy.

I certainly feel like he is gone too soon. It's hard to say what
choice you would make until you're actually at the fork in the road,
and I can't imagine that Mr. brown had any choice in the matter... but
I think I would rather go quickly than to struggle with MS for years
on end.

"William R. Mattil" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:3%[email protected]...

> Why didn't you spend more time remembering his good qualities instead of ,
> again, pontificating on how smart you (think you) are ?
>
> I really found your post to be completely out of line. Even for you.

Yet, strangely, you do precisely the same thing you accuse of others.

"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/
>
> RIP.

This is a shock! When I first looked for Internet bike info, I was amazed
that someone had done such an expert and thorough job of bike documentation,
as can be found on Sheldon's website. The website is not flashy (just the
facts, ma'am), but it has undoubtedly helped countless people understand and
enjoy their bikes.

Saddened J.

I will miss Sheldon alot. He was a special, kind, knowledgeable
person. When I lived in Germany, reading r.b.t. and his postings were a
touch of home. I was just on his website earlier today looking up
arcana about axles. I've been following his illness in his health and
personal journal and thought it very sad that a man who loved bikes so
much would be afflicted with a disease that would keep him from riding.

My love of bikes and bike mechanics was mentored by him through his
r.b.t postings and his website. I find myself tearing up even though I
only knew him through his writings.

There are few people you meet in life who are almost always right.
Sheldon was one of those people.

I think his website sums it up really well:
Sheldon wrote:

Some Things I Believe In

* Democracy
* Duty