Sheldon Brown, 1944 - 2008

kdelong

Dec 14, 2006
It is a dark day indeed for bicycling. I have just found out that Sheldon Brown has passed away of a massive heart attack. For those of you who don't know who Sheldon Brown was, he was the world's foremost expert on bicycles, and never hesitated to share his knowledge with everyone. He had a great, but sometimes eccentric sense of humor. He also was very talented in photography and writing. My deepest condolences go out to his widow, Harriett, and to his son and daughter. May he rest in peace.

http://sheldonbrown.com/

This is sad, sad news. Condolences to his family. I haven't been in cycling that long... but it was obvious through the number of people that referred me to his website that he was a great help to many in cycling (including myself) and that he truly loved the sport. Very sad.

kdelong said:
It is a dark day indeed for bicycling. I have just found out that Sheldon Brown has passed away of a massive heart attack. For those of you who don't know who Sheldon Brown was, he was the world's foremost expert on bicycles, and never hesitated to share his knowledge with everyone. He had a great, but sometimes eccentric sense of humor. He also was very talented in photography and writing. My deepest condolences go out to his widow, Harriett, and to his son and daughter. May he rest in peace.

http://sheldonbrown.com/
That's so sad. What is sadder is that he should pass away from a heart attack after all the cycling he did. His website is so valuable for someone new to cycling. May he rest in peace!

Truly sad, he was an expert mechanic in the true sense of the word. He did a lot
of cycling in his younger years, but it was his articles of which you can access
through Harris cyclery which I found second to none. He ranked the Sturmey Archer three speed hub as one of the great inventions of the twentieth century.
R.I.P.

He will really be missed. He posted to Usenet for as long as I can remember. He was a great source of Campy parts and knowledge. :(:(:(

I can only and my condolences to his family, and agree with all the praise mentioned by the others. His knowledge, and love of cycling will always be an inspiration. A Dio, "Oh captain my captain" bikes.

Most of what I know about bikes I learned from Sheldon...

"Use no word that under stress of emotion you could not actually say."

Ezra Pound

Just read the news. A real loss to the cycling world. My pile of Sheldon info is the first place I go if I've got a problem. As 'kdelong' said, his willingness to share his knowledge is something that will be really missed.

wow, i didn't know who he was till i went to his website. its a real shame, he was so helpful any cyclist.

May he rest in peace.

I have referenced his website and articles thousands of times. His knowledge base helped me become a much better cyclist; from mechanics, to technique, to the simple passion of riding a bicycle. I religiously sent newbs to his website, because most other websites pale in comparison.

May he Rest in Peace.

A very knowledgeable guy and a man who cared about cycling.
His contribution and help to a lot of people was very much appreciated.

Condolences to his family.

RIP. Condolences to his family.

As others have said, someone who has been posting on usenet forever, with a hugely informative website. He will be missed.

Very sad indeed. I have never met Sheldon in person but it still feels like I've lost a friend. He will certainly be missed. My most sincere condolences to Sheldon's family and friends.

Rest (and ride) in peace Captain Bike.

I can't really say much that hasn't already been said. My thoughts are with his family, and may he rest in peace. Not only will his loved ones miss him, but I think the cycling community in general will mourn him. His knowledge and sense of humor showed through in his many writings. His fixed gear stuff helped me decide to go fixed, and I have loved every minute.

This is a great loss. Condolances to his family.

The man was responsible for eliminating more deraillers than any other person on Earth.

As advised by Sheldon, I printed, cut and taped gearing ratios on my stem. Everytime I see that, I will remember Sheldon.

Apparently there's a memorial in March. Boston is not too far from New York.