Sheldon Brown memorial ride, Canberra, 1st April

John Henderson

Guest
Cycling advocate and guru Sheldon passed away earlier this year.
Aside from his freely-given mechanical advice, he was famous
for his April 1st new bicycle product announcements here and on
on rec.bicycles.tech. So what better day to remember the man?
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/humor/index.html

Towards the end of his life, he suffered from MS. Participants
are asked for a gold coin donation towards MS research. There
will be a BBQ at the end.

Ride around Lake Ginninderra starts at 6pm on 1st April from
Florey shops, Kesteven St, Florey.

Full details at: http://www.cyclesurgery.com.au/sheldon.cfm

John

On Mar 28, 8:03 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.36y...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> kanangara Wrote:
>
> > Nice, hope you've got your Real Man(TM) Saddle ready for the occassion.

> Not forgetting the Nanodrive "Quarter Twenty" and Citroën Monospoke
> wheelset!http://www.sheldonbrown.com/nanodrive/index.html
>
> --
> cfsmtb

The joke's on you, cfs - you should have left this for a few days
yet ... but it makes you miss him, doesn't it?

Donga

Donga said:
The joke's on you, cfs - you should have left this for a few days
yet ... but it makes you miss him, doesn't it?

Actually I was sharing in the April 1st japes. I reckon someone should pick up SB mantle in regards to the Fuels Day stuff, wonder if Fat Cyclist will come up with special little something?

Thanks for the heads up. It was a fun mellow ride with a different mix
of cyclists. First time I've ridden with another fixie so that was
cool. Never ridden with a cruiser either, another very deliberate
bike.

On 2008-04-02, Aeek (aka Bruce)
> Thanks for the heads up. It was a fun mellow ride with a different mix
> of cyclists. First time I've ridden with another fixie so that was
> cool. Never ridden with a cruiser either, another very deliberate
> bike.

"Deliberate"? What kind of euphemism is that?

--
TimC
DISCLAIMER: THIS DISCLAIMER IS NOT REQUIRED BY LEADER KIBO. THIS ARTICLE

Aeek wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up. It was a fun mellow ride with a
> different mix of cyclists. First time I've ridden with another
> fixie so that was cool. Never ridden with a cruiser either,
> another very deliberate bike.

Likewise, I enjoyed it very much - an interesting cross-section
of participants, and all enthusiastic cyclists.

As I understand it, Simon intends running it every year on 1
April. When that falls on a weekend, it will present the
opportunity for a much longer ride.

John

John Henderson wrote:
> Aeek wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the heads up. It was a fun mellow ride with a
>> different mix of cyclists. First time I've ridden with another
>> fixie so that was cool. Never ridden with a cruiser either,
>> another very deliberate bike.

> Likewise, I enjoyed it very much - an interesting cross-section
> of participants, and all enthusiastic cyclists.
>
> As I understand it, Simon intends running it every year on 1
> April. When that falls on a weekend, it will present the
> opportunity for a much longer ride.
>
> John

The following has been submitted to Pedal Power for the next mag...

April 1st marks a special day for those of us who remember Sheldon
Brown. Sheldon was famous around the world as the creator, maintainer,
email-responder and encyclopaedic cycling expert behind
www.sheldonbrown.com, perhaps the Internet's most famous cycling site. A
man of passion, gentleness and generosity, he personally answered
hundreds of emails a day from cyclists around the world. Sheldon was
almost as famous for the quality and originality of his April Fool's
jokes, some of which appear on the site. Sheldon died two months ago, a
victim of multiple sclerosis.

So it was that on the evening of April 1st a group of Canberra cyclists
gathered to remember Sheldon and his contribution to cycling in a way
that he would have appreciated – a good natured and inclusive ride just
for the fun of it. We started out at the Florey shops and did a lap of
Lake Ginninderra. The group and their bikes covered the full spectrum –
audax riders, kids as passengers on a trike, teens on mountain bikes, PP
members, committed fixed-wheel riders, cruisers and down-hillers, but
all with things in common; a love of cycling and an appreciation for
Sheldon's legacy.

Simon Spoors and www.cyclesurgery.com.au organised the ride, and
provided a BBQ afterwards (see photo). Thanks Simon! Speaking for myself
I found it a great experience. Normally I ride fast, well fast for an
old fat unfit guy anyway. But this event encouraged me to slow down, to
talk, to freewheel, to enjoy the fabulous weather. Everything that
Sheldon stood for.

At a personal level I was lucky enough to meet Sheldon at the store in
Newton, Massachusetts. Years before Sheldon's internet fame, I wandered
into the store and met this big, gentle guy who was happy to sit and
talk about cycling and bikes, even though he knew he wouldn't make a
sale to this Aussie tyre-kicker. I'll never forget him.

Thanks Sheldon. Thanks Simon!

Photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick_keogh/sets/72157604355264093/

On Apr 3, 4:53 pm, Patrick Keogh <[email protected]> wrote:
> John Henderson wrote:
> > Aeek wrote:

> >> Thanks for the heads up. It was a fun mellow ride with a
> >> different mix of cyclists. First time I've ridden with another
> >> fixie so that was cool. Never ridden with a cruiser either,
> >> another very deliberate bike.

> > Likewise, I enjoyed it very much - an interesting cross-section
> > of participants, and all enthusiastic cyclists.

> > As I understand it, Simon intends running it every year on 1
> > April. When that falls on a weekend, it will present the
> > opportunity for a much longer ride.

> > John

> The following has been submitted to Pedal Power for the next mag...
>
> April 1st marks a special day for those of us who remember Sheldon
> Brown. Sheldon was famous around the world as the creator, maintainer,
> email-responder and encyclopaedic cycling expert behindwww.sheldonbrown.com, perhaps the Internet's most famous cycling site. A
> man of passion, gentleness and generosity, he personally answered
> hundreds of emails a day from cyclists around the world. Sheldon was
> almost as famous for the quality and originality of his April Fool's
> jokes, some of which appear on the site. Sheldon died two months ago, a
> victim of multiple sclerosis.
>
> So it was that on the evening of April 1st a group of Canberra cyclists
> gathered to remember Sheldon and his contribution to cycling in a way
> that he would have appreciated - a good natured and inclusive ride just
> for the fun of it. We started out at the Florey shops and did a lap of
> Lake Ginninderra. The group and their bikes covered the full spectrum -
> audax riders, kids as passengers on a trike, teens on mountain bikes, PP
> members, committed fixed-wheel riders, cruisers and down-hillers, but
> all with things in common; a love of cycling and an appreciation for
> Sheldon's legacy.
>
> Simon Spoors andwww.cyclesurgery.com.auorganised the ride, and
> provided a BBQ afterwards (see photo). Thanks Simon! Speaking for myself
> I found it a great experience. Normally I ride fast, well fast for an
> old fat unfit guy anyway. But this event encouraged me to slow down, to
> talk, to freewheel, to enjoy the fabulous weather. Everything that
> Sheldon stood for.
>
> At a personal level I was lucky enough to meet Sheldon at the store in
> Newton, Massachusetts. Years before Sheldon's internet fame, I wandered
> into the store and met this big, gentle guy who was happy to sit and
> talk about cycling and bikes, even though he knew he wouldn't make a
> sale to this Aussie tyre-kicker. I'll never forget him.
>
> Thanks Sheldon. Thanks Simon!
>
> Photos athttp://www.flickr.com/photos/patrick_keogh/sets/72157604355264093/

Freewheeling hey? Don't you know, "Coasting is pernicious"?
Haha, sorry, had to quote the sage.
Nice story, thanks.

Donga