Sheldon-Brown-RIP

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by kanangara, Feb 4, 2008.

  1. kanangara

    kanangara New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP

    Bugger.

    Tags:

  2. On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:31:24 +1100, kanangara
    <[email protected]> wrote in
    aus.bicycle:

    >http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP
    >
    >Bugger.

    So sad.

    But what is going on? Cycling is supposed to keep you fit and healthy
    yet he was only 63 and suffered a heart attack

    A 65 year old friend who cycles 60 miles a day and is built like a
    greyhound has just had a triple bypass.

    Perhaps Gough Whitlam was right when he said, "I get enough exercise
    attending the funerals of all those who do."

    I guess I am at the age when you read the obitary column and realise
    they are all your comtemporaries.

    As you say, "bugger"

    Regards
    Harold

    Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

  3. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

  4. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    Harry 'Snapper' Organ wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:31:24 +1100, kanangara
    > <[email protected]> wrote in
    > aus.bicycle:
    >

    >>http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP
    >>
    >>Bugger.

    > So sad.
    >
    > But what is going on? Cycling is supposed to keep you fit and healthy
    > yet he was only 63 and suffered a heart attack
    >
    > A 65 year old friend who cycles 60 miles a day and is built like a
    > greyhound has just had a triple bypass.
    >
    > Perhaps Gough Whitlam was right when he said, "I get enough exercise
    > attending the funerals of all those who do."
    >
    > I guess I am at the age when you read the obitary column and realise
    > they are all your comtemporaries.
    >
    > As you say, "bugger"
    >

    > Regards
    > Harold
    >
    > Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

    I seem to remember that he had developed MS. Not sure of the connection
    to a heart attack.

    But certainly concur with "bugger", his web pages were amongst the most
    useful that I have come across, not to mention his April 1 spoofs.
    --
    Remove norubbish to reply

  5. Bean Long

    Bean Long Guest

    Harry 'Snapper' Organ wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:31:24 +1100, kanangara
    > <[email protected]> wrote in
    > aus.bicycle:
    >
    >> http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP
    >>
    >> Bugger.

    > So sad.
    >
    > But what is going on? Cycling is supposed to keep you fit and healthy
    > yet he was only 63 and suffered a heart attack

    I had heard that Sheldon had been off the bike for some time due to some
    sort of nerve disease. He had been unable to move around easily for some
    time I believe.

  6. Elmo

    Elmo Guest

  7. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Harry 'Snapper' Organ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 08:31:24 +1100, kanangara
    > <[email protected]> wrote in
    > aus.bicycle:
    >

    > >http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP
    > >
    > >Bugger.

    > So sad.
    >
    > But what is going on? Cycling is supposed to keep you fit and healthy
    > yet he was only 63 and suffered a heart attack
    >
    > A 65 year old friend who cycles 60 miles a day and is built like a
    > greyhound has just had a triple bypass.
    >
    > Perhaps Gough Whitlam was right when he said, "I get enough exercise
    > attending the funerals of all those who do."
    >
    > I guess I am at the age when you read the obitary column and realise
    > they are all your comtemporaries.
    >
    > As you say, "bugger"

    Exercise is just one parameter of long life. Gene and luck also have a
    major contribution in that equation.

    In any case, SheldonB did not have good health as he suffered from MS
    for quite a while.
    --

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    A inspirational bloke, always had the time and patience to share his vast knowledge and expertise. The cycling community has lost a great personality.

    We'll charge a glass or two tonight in his honour.

  9. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Read his health journal:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/org/journal/health.html

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2008-02-05, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

    > A inspirational bloke, always had the time and patience to share his
    > vast knowledge and expertise. The cycling community has lost a great
    > personality.
    >
    > We'll charge a glass or two tonight in his honour.

    Indeed. What'dhe drink? I hope he liked Ardbeg 10yo.

    --
    TimC
    Warning: No foo present. Your life may be in grave danger.

  11. suzyj

    suzyj New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2004
    > Indeed. What'dhe drink? I hope he liked Ardbeg 10yo.

    This is terrible news. Sheldon was one of the most amazing people in the world of cycling. He's answered our stupid questions with wonderful advice, and been an inspiration to many of us.

    I for one will miss him greatly.

    Though I'm sure he'd never drink that horrid Islay rubbish. I mean, ya might as well soak some seaweed in disinfectant and drink that. I think it's time to hit the Glengoyne.

  12. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2008-02-05, suzyj (aka Bruce)

    >> Indeed. What'dhe drink? I hope he liked Ardbeg 10yo.

    > This is terrible news. Sheldon was one of the most amazing people in
    > the world of cycling. He's answered our stupid questions with wonderful
    > advice, and been an inspiration to many of us.

    I never saw it coming too - he was posting here a mere few weeks ago.

    I'm keeping my biopace chainrings on just for him.

    > I for one will miss him greatly.
    >
    > Though I'm sure he'd never drink that horrid Islay rubbish. I mean, ya
    > might as well soak some seaweed in disinfectant and drink that. I think
    > it's time to hit the Glengoyne.

    Arr, but you be mistaken me lassie (that was a really crappy fake
    Scottish accent, wasn't it?). No seaweed nor iodine hints in the
    Ardbeg. Just BBQed bacon.

    --
    TimC
    We would be called technicians, not researchers, if we knew

  13. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    Sheldon Brown's passing is a great loss to cycling and I hope his family and friends gain some solace in knowing he had the respect of cycling enthusiasts all over the world.

    :(

    Ritch

  14. Rory Williams

    Rory Williams New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2003
    Vale

    RoryW

  15. Resound

    Resound Guest

  16. On Feb 5, 11:09 pm, Rory Williams <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > kanangara Wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP

    > > Bugger.

    > Vale
    >
    > RoryW
    >
    > --
    > Rory Williams

    I once called him 'Captain Pedantic' on rec.bicycles.tech when he
    started to wax lyrical about the various accuracies of perfectly
    calibrated bike computers. We made up later. I feel bad about that
    now. It was sad to read his journal as his health deteriorated and he
    could no longer do what he loved, including riding his bike. His legs
    went clumsy first, then it was months before they got the diagnosis of
    a rare form of MS, which crept up on him until he could hardly walk. I
    suspect the heart attack might be linked.

    V.A

  17. not all there wrote:
    > On Feb 5, 11:09 pm, Rory Williams <[email protected]
    > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    >> kanangara Wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.bikebiz.com/news/29379/Sheldon-Brown-RIP
    >>> Bugger.

    >> Vale
    >>
    >> RoryW
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rory Williams

    > I once called him 'Captain Pedantic' on rec.bicycles.tech when he
    > started to wax lyrical about the various accuracies of perfectly
    > calibrated bike computers. We made up later. I feel bad about that
    > now. It was sad to read his journal as his health deteriorated and he
    > could no longer do what he loved, including riding his bike. His legs
    > went clumsy first, then it was months before they got the diagnosis of
    > a rare form of MS, which crept up on him until he could hardly walk. I
    > suspect the heart attack might be linked.
    >
    > V.A

    Long before I knew who Sheldon Brown was (in an internet sense) I met
    him at the bike shop when I was working in Boston. In real life he was
    gentle, great sense of fun, with a real passion for cycling. After just
    that one meeting he was locked in my memory.

    We have lost a living treasure.

  18. Rex

    Rex Guest

    > But what is going on? Cycling is supposed to keep you fit and healthy
    > yet he was only 63 and suffered a heart attack
    >
    > A 65 year old friend who cycles 60 miles a day and is built like a
    > greyhound has just had a triple bypass.

    Do we know their full history? remember Jim Fixx who died while running in
    his fifties? Early age to die. People came out and said "running is
    dangerous".

    The full story is that his father and grandfather both died in their 40's.
    Running may have given Jim Fixx another 10 years.

    > Perhaps Gough Whitlam was right when he said, "I get enough exercise
    > attending the funerals of all those who do."
    >
    > I guess I am at the age when you read the obitary column and realise
    > they are all your comtemporaries.
    >
    > As you say, "bugger"
    >

    > Regards
    > Harold
    >
    > Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

  19. hemyd

    hemyd Guest

    "Rex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >> But what is going on? Cycling is supposed to keep you fit and healthy
    >> yet he was only 63 and suffered a heart attack
    >>
    >> A 65 year old friend who cycles 60 miles a day and is built like a
    >> greyhound has just had a triple bypass.
    >>

    > Do we know their full history? remember Jim Fixx who died while running in
    > his fifties? Early age to die. People came out and said "running is
    > dangerous".
    >
    > The full story is that his father and grandfather both died in their 40's.
    > Running may have given Jim Fixx another 10 years.
    >

    >> Perhaps Gough Whitlam was right when he said, "I get enough exercise
    >> attending the funerals of all those who do."
    >>
    >> I guess I am at the age when you read the obitary column and realise
    >> they are all your comtemporaries.
    >>
    >> As you say, "bugger"
    >>

    >> Regards
    >> Harold
    >>
    >> Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum - Lucretius

    I'll be 60 on Thursday, and still cycling to work, on Nepean Highway from
    Moorabbin to near Commercial Road (Melbourne). Heart goes a bit crazy -
    especially when I'm cycling fast - or being passed by a double B semi.....

    Henry (over 18,500 kilometres cysling since 2005)