Sheldon

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Openworld, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Openworld

    Openworld Guest

    Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of respect in
    this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.

    Tags:

  2. Jobst Brandt

    Jobst Brandt Guest

    anonymous writes:

    > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of respect in
    > this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.

    Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand by
    your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is offered
    here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?

  3. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    > anonymous writes:
    >
    > > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of respect
    > > in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
    >
    > Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand by
    > your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is offered
    > here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?

    Actually, anonymous prefers ritual and tradition over being correct but alone. It is all about
    building community.

    Andres

  4. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    An advertisement runs locally that uses the phrase "unanimous anonymous." That about sums r.b.t.

    The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

    "andres muro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > [email protected] wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > anonymous writes:
    > >
    > > > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of
    > > > respect in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
    > >
    > > Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand
    > > by your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is
    > > offered here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?
    > >
    > > Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA
    >
    > Actually, anonymous prefers ritual and tradition over being correct but alone. It is all about
    > building community.
    >
    > Andres

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (andres
    muro) wrote:

    > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > anonymous writes:
    > >
    > > > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of
    > > > respect in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
    > >
    > > Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand
    > > by your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is
    > > offered here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?
    > >
    > > Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA
    >
    > Actually, anonymous prefers ritual and tradition over being correct but alone. It is all about
    > building community.

    It's not only ritual and tradition here. What openworld doesn't understand, and what I think Jobst
    is being a little harsh about, is that Sheldon's post was not an out-of-the-blue thing. Sheldon
    posts here prolifically, and like several others industry members in this group (including Mark
    Hickey, Andrew Muzi, too many others to mention, and even Jobst), he tends not to plug his own wares
    unless it is to meet a specific, unusual need, or is otherwise obviously topical.

    Now, openworld didn't know that, flamed too early, and has apologized. I think getting too picky
    about the terms of the apology is counterproductive.

    The moral of the story for new posters: read the messages for a week or two before posting. It's
    amazing what you might learn.

  6. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Jobst:

    Thank god no one would ever catch you withdrawing your (frequent) snide comments, no matter who they
    were directed at. I respect your knowledge, but your very words reek with the stench of
    self-important superiority.

    The guy apologized when he should have, something I have yet to see you do. Cut him some slack.

    I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy. If someone needs to contact me
    privately, my e-mail, as well as his, is available.

    Appkiller

  7. [email protected] wrote:

    > I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.

    Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
    public forum?

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    Accordion, n.: A bagpipe with pleats.

  8. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    Privacy is as privacy does. And read my posts - I have nothing to be ashamed of in mine. The only
    difference between my posting as Appkiller and your postings as Benjamin Lewis is that you can be
    sure that my name is made up.

    How about yours, or Fabs'?

    Appkiller

    Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.
    >
    > Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
    > public forum?

  9. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:25:34 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.
    >
    >Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
    >public forum?

    If you've not had someone threaten to call your employer... or had someone try to phone you at
    home.. or at least sign you up for magazine subscriptions then count yourself lucky.

    There are people out there with major brain malfunctions ... I had a guy do that because he
    disagreed with my musical tastes...

  10. Richard Ney

    Richard Ney Guest

    ajames54T writes:

    >>> I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.
    >>
    >> Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
    >> public forum?
    >
    > If you've not had someone threaten to call your employer... or had someone try to phone you at
    > home.. or at least sign you up for magazine subscriptions then count yourself lucky.
    >
    > There are people out there with major brain malfunctions ... I had a guy do that because he
    > disagreed with my musical tastes...

    I hear you're an ABBA fan.

  11. Ajames54™

    Ajames54™ Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:13:04 -0400, "Richard Ney" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>> Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
    >>> public forum?
    >>
    >> If you've not had someone threaten to call your employer... or had someone try to phone you at
    >> home.. or at least sign you up for magazine subscriptions then count yourself lucky.
    >>
    >> There are people out there with major brain malfunctions ... I had a guy do that because he
    >> disagreed with my musical tastes...
    >
    >I hear you're an ABBA fan.

    Oooh! Burned!

    (see I can take an insult with good grace...<grin>)

  12. Spider

    Spider Guest

    Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.
    >
    > Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
    > public forum?

    Believe it or not, there are a lot of wackos on the 'Net. And if your phone number is public, AND if
    you use your full, real name on the 'net, sometimes those wackos will call you in the early morning
    hours and threaten you just for grins. Or call your boss and complain that you posted kiddy porn on
    the 'net (which you've never done.)

    Luckily, I don't have to expose myself to that ever again. And no amount of snide superiority from
    folks in USENET will make me go back.

    Spider

  13. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    Problem has to do with jealousy. Everyone knows that Sheldon is god, and for that, people suck up to
    him. OTOH, while Jobst is muy smart, he has not reached sheldon's heights. Even though Jobst has
    some cultish appeal, his short tempered "my way or the highway" attitude has prevented him from
    reaching the top of Mount Olympus (I mean metaphorically, apparently he has climbed every mountain
    on this planet, on a 42-21, while carrying a 50 pound load on a hippie looking saddle bag).

    I would vote to elevate Jobst to the status of god if he were willing to pose for a picture leaning
    on a curve, like in the avocet publicity, wearing a helmet like sheldon's.

    Andres

    [email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Jobst:
    >
    > Thank god no one would ever catch you withdrawing your (frequent) snide comments, no matter who
    > they were directed at. I respect your knowledge, but your very words reek with the stench of
    > self-important superiority.
    >
    > The guy apologized when he should have, something I have yet to see you do. Cut him some slack.
    >
    > I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy. If someone needs to contact
    > me privately, my e-mail, as well as his, is available.
    >
    > Appkiller
    >
    > [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > anonymous writes:
    > >
    > > > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of
    > > > respect in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
    > >
    > > Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand
    > > by your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is
    > > offered here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?
    > >
    > > Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

  14. Yes, you have to be careful these days on what information you give out. I suppose name is ok, but
    about a year ago, someone used my credit card charge number, and tried to buy over $1k of computer
    equipment by phone. The charge was made late Friday evening to a local small Computer Co., and the
    merchandise was to be picked up early the following Monday morning. That Monday morning I happen to
    check my balance, and noticed a charge on my account for a large amount. I check the account history
    which listed the name of the Computer Company and made a call to them around 9:00am. Lucky the
    manger was in early and preparing the computer to be picked up. I made a bee-line down to the store,
    and spoke with the owner. As it turned out, the owner called the police and a simple sting operation
    was set up. The owner called me to let me know an arrest was made. I thought this could never happen
    to me, but you never know. Not saying it was taken from email, who knows how they got a hold of my
    information...but .now I check my bank account balance every morning. -tom

    "Spider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >
    > > > I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.
    > >
    > > Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
    > > public forum?
    >
    > Believe it or not, there are a lot of wackos on the 'Net. And if your phone number is public, AND
    > if you use your full, real name on the 'net, sometimes those wackos will call you in the early
    > morning hours and threaten you just for grins. Or call your boss and complain that you posted
    > kiddy porn on the 'net (which you've never done.)
    >
    > Luckily, I don't have to expose myself to that ever again. And no amount of snide superiority from
    > folks in USENET will make me go back.
    >
    > Spider

  15. Richard Ney

    Richard Ney Guest

    andres muro writes:

    > Problem has to do with jealousy. Everyone knows that Sheldon is god, and for that, people suck
    > up to him. OTOH, while Jobst is muy smart, he has not reached sheldon's heights. Even though
    > Jobst has some cultish appeal, his short tempered "my way or the highway" attitude has prevented
    > him from reaching the top of Mount Olympus (I mean metaphorically, apparently he has climbed
    > every mountain on this planet, on a 42-21, while carrying a 50 pound load on a hippie looking
    > saddle bag).
    >
    > I would vote to elevate Jobst to the status of god if he were willing to pose for a picture
    > leaning on a curve, like in the avocet publicity, wearing a helmet like sheldon's.

    A true God shuns helmets.

  16. Java Man

    Java Man Guest

    > andres muro writes:
    >
    > > Problem has to do with jealousy. Everyone knows that Sheldon is god, and for that, people suck
    > > up to him. OTOH, while Jobst is muy smart, he has not reached sheldon's heights. Even though
    > > Jobst has some cultish appeal, his short tempered "my way or the highway" attitude has prevented
    > > him from reaching the top of Mount Olympus (I mean metaphorically, apparently he has climbed
    > > every mountain on this planet, on a 42-21, while carrying a 50 pound load on a hippie looking
    > > saddle bag).
    > >
    > > I would vote to elevate Jobst to the status of god if he were willing to pose for a picture
    > > leaning on a curve, like in the avocet publicity, wearing a helmet like sheldon's.
    >
    > A true God shuns helmets.

    . . unless they enhance his image, as Sheldon's does.

    Rick

  17. andres muro wrote

    > ... Sheldon is god...

    Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
    exist...? ;-)

    Sheldon "At Least 'g' Wasn't Capitalized" Brown
    | The secrets of flight will not be mastered within our lifetime… | …not within a thousand years
    | –Wilbur Wright, 1901 |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  18. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > andres muro wrote
    >
    >> ... Sheldon is god...
    >

    > Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
    > exist...? ;-)
    >
    > Sheldon "At Least 'g' Wasn't Capitalized" Brown
    > | The secrets of flight will not be mastered within our lifetime… | …not within a thousand years
    > | –Wilbur Wright, 1901 |
    > +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
    > Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
    > shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

    Weather you actually exist is another topic entirely (do you think?). The real question is; do you
    *believe* in your own existence?

  19. Tauras

    Tauras Guest

    "Dick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Weather you actually exist is another topic entirely (do you think?). The real question is; do you
    > *believe* in your own existence?

    Belief is a long windy technical trail of unknowns, best to just ride hard and set the mind free
    instead ;)

    Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

  20. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

    > andres muro wrote
    >
    > > ... Sheldon is god...
    >
    > Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
    > exist...? ;-)
    >
    > Sheldon "At Least 'g' Wasn't Capitalized" Brown
    > | The secrets of flight will not be mastered within our lifetimeŠ | Šnot within a thousand years
    > | ­Wilbur Wright, 1901 |
    snip

    Wilbur Wright was a true bicycle mechanic!

    Sheldon. I spoke to you. You had better exist.....:)