Sheldon

Openworld

Guest
Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of respect in
this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.

anonymous writes:

> Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of respect in
> this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.

Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand by
your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is offered
here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?

> anonymous writes:
>
> > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of respect
> > in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
>
> Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand by
> your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is offered
> here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?

Actually, anonymous prefers ritual and tradition over being correct but alone. It is all about
building community.

Andres

An advertisement runs locally that uses the phrase "unanimous anonymous." That about sums r.b.t.

The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense.

"andres muro" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > anonymous writes:
> >
> > > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of
> > > respect in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
> >
> > Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand
> > by your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is
> > offered here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?
> >
> > Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA
>
> Actually, anonymous prefers ritual and tradition over being correct but alone. It is all about
> building community.
>
> Andres

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (andres
muro) wrote:

> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > anonymous writes:
> >
> > > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of
> > > respect in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
> >
> > Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand
> > by your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is
> > offered here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?
> >
> > Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA
>
> Actually, anonymous prefers ritual and tradition over being correct but alone. It is all about
> building community.

It's not only ritual and tradition here. What openworld doesn't understand, and what I think Jobst
is being a little harsh about, is that Sheldon's post was not an out-of-the-blue thing. Sheldon
posts here prolifically, and like several others industry members in this group (including Mark
Hickey, Andrew Muzi, too many others to mention, and even Jobst), he tends not to plug his own wares
unless it is to meet a specific, unusual need, or is otherwise obviously topical.

Now, openworld didn't know that, flamed too early, and has apologized. I think getting too picky
about the terms of the apology is counterproductive.

The moral of the story for new posters: read the messages for a week or two before posting. It's
amazing what you might learn.

Jobst:

Thank god no one would ever catch you withdrawing your (frequent) snide comments, no matter who they
were directed at. I respect your knowledge, but your very words reek with the stench of
self-important superiority.

The guy apologized when he should have, something I have yet to see you do. Cut him some slack.

I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy. If someone needs to contact me
privately, my e-mail, as well as his, is available.

Appkiller

> anonymous writes:
>
> > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of respect
> > in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
>
> Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand by
> your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is offered
> here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?

> I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.

Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
public forum?

--
Benjamin Lewis

Accordion, n.: A bagpipe with pleats.

Privacy is as privacy does. And read my posts - I have nothing to be ashamed of in mine. The only
difference between my posting as Appkiller and your postings as Benjamin Lewis is that you can be
sure that my name is made up.

How about yours, or Fabs'?

Appkiller

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 18:25:34 -0700, Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.
>
>Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
>public forum?

If you've not had someone threaten to call your employer... or had someone try to phone you at
home.. or at least sign you up for magazine subscriptions then count yourself lucky.

There are people out there with major brain malfunctions ... I had a guy do that because he
disagreed with my musical tastes...

ajames54T writes:

>>> I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.
>>
>> Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
>> public forum?
>
> If you've not had someone threaten to call your employer... or had someone try to phone you at
> home.. or at least sign you up for magazine subscriptions then count yourself lucky.
>
> There are people out there with major brain malfunctions ... I had a guy do that because he
> disagreed with my musical tastes...

I hear you're an ABBA fan.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:13:04 -0400, "Richard Ney" <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
>>> public forum?
>>
>> If you've not had someone threaten to call your employer... or had someone try to phone you at
>> home.. or at least sign you up for magazine subscriptions then count yourself lucky.
>>
>> There are people out there with major brain malfunctions ... I had a guy do that because he
>> disagreed with my musical tastes...
>
>I hear you're an ABBA fan.

Oooh! Burned!

(see I can take an insult with good grace...<grin>)

Benjamin Lewis <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> > I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy.
>
> Privacy from what? Are you afraid that someone will associate you with your comments on this
> public forum?

Believe it or not, there are a lot of wackos on the 'Net. And if your phone number is public, AND if
you use your full, real name on the 'net, sometimes those wackos will call you in the early morning
hours and threaten you just for grins. Or call your boss and complain that you posted kiddy **** on
the 'net (which you've never done.)

Luckily, I don't have to expose myself to that ever again. And no amount of snide superiority from
folks in USENET will make me go back.

Spider

Problem has to do with jealousy. Everyone knows that Sheldon is god, and for that, people suck up to
him. OTOH, while Jobst is muy smart, he has not reached sheldon's heights. Even though Jobst has
some cultish appeal, his short tempered "my way or the highway" attitude has prevented him from
reaching the top of Mount Olympus (I mean metaphorically, apparently he has climbed every mountain
on this planet, on a 42-21, while carrying a 50 pound load on a hippie looking saddle bag).

I would vote to elevate Jobst to the status of god if he were willing to pose for a picture leaning
on a curve, like in the avocet publicity, wearing a helmet like sheldon's.

Andres

[email protected] (Appkiller) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Jobst:
>
> Thank god no one would ever catch you withdrawing your (frequent) snide comments, no matter who
> they were directed at. I respect your knowledge, but your very words reek with the stench of
> self-important superiority.
>
> The guy apologized when he should have, something I have yet to see you do. Cut him some slack.
>
> I also post anonymously like the OP. I do it for reasons of privacy. If someone needs to contact
> me privately, my e-mail, as well as his, is available.
>
> Appkiller
>
> [email protected] wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > anonymous writes:
> >
> > > Deepest appologies for any offense, none was meant. There appears to be a great deal of
> > > respect in this newsgroup for him, and I certainly do not wish to tread on any toes.
> >
> > Oh! So only because others respect Sheldon you withdraw your snide remarks, otherwise you stand
> > by your comments, inappropriate as they are. How about responding to the content of what is
> > offered here on its own merit rather than who said it? Is rudeness why you write anonymously?
> >
> > Jobst Brandt [email protected] Palo Alto CA

Yes, you have to be careful these days on what information you give out. I suppose name is ok, but
about a year ago, someone used my credit card charge number, and tried to buy over $1k of computer
equipment by phone. The charge was made late Friday evening to a local small Computer Co., and the
merchandise was to be picked up early the following Monday morning. That Monday morning I happen to
check my balance, and noticed a charge on my account for a large amount. I check the account history
which listed the name of the Computer Company and made a call to them around 9:00am. Lucky the
manger was in early and preparing the computer to be picked up. I made a bee-line down to the store,
and spoke with the owner. As it turned out, the owner called the police and a simple sting operation
was set up. The owner called me to let me know an arrest was made. I thought this could never happen
to me, but you never know. Not saying it was taken from email, who knows how they got a hold of my
information...but .now I check my bank account balance every morning. -tom

news:[email protected]...

andres muro writes:

> Problem has to do with jealousy. Everyone knows that Sheldon is god, and for that, people suck
> up to him. OTOH, while Jobst is muy smart, he has not reached sheldon's heights. Even though
> Jobst has some cultish appeal, his short tempered "my way or the highway" attitude has prevented
> him from reaching the top of Mount Olympus (I mean metaphorically, apparently he has climbed
> every mountain on this planet, on a 42-21, while carrying a 50 pound load on a hippie looking
> saddle bag).
>
> I would vote to elevate Jobst to the status of god if he were willing to pose for a picture
> leaning on a curve, like in the avocet publicity, wearing a helmet like sheldon's.

A true God shuns helmets.

> andres muro writes:
>
> > Problem has to do with jealousy. Everyone knows that Sheldon is god, and for that, people suck
> > up to him. OTOH, while Jobst is muy smart, he has not reached sheldon's heights. Even though
> > Jobst has some cultish appeal, his short tempered "my way or the highway" attitude has prevented
> > him from reaching the top of Mount Olympus (I mean metaphorically, apparently he has climbed
> > every mountain on this planet, on a 42-21, while carrying a 50 pound load on a hippie looking
> > saddle bag).
> >
> > I would vote to elevate Jobst to the status of god if he were willing to pose for a picture
> > leaning on a curve, like in the avocet publicity, wearing a helmet like sheldon's.
>
> A true God shuns helmets.

. . unless they enhance his image, as Sheldon's does.

Rick

andres muro wrote

> ... Sheldon is god...

Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
exist...? ;-)

Sheldon "At Least 'g' Wasn't Capitalized" Brown
| The secrets of flight will not be mastered within our lifetime… | …not within a thousand years
| –Wilbur Wright, 1901 |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> andres muro wrote
>
>> ... Sheldon is god...
>

> Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
> exist...? ;-)
>
> Sheldon "At Least 'g' Wasn't Capitalized" Brown
> | The secrets of flight will not be mastered within our lifetime… | …not within a thousand years
> | –Wilbur Wright, 1901 |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
> Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
> shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Weather you actually exist is another topic entirely (do you think?). The real question is; do you
*believe* in your own existence?

"****" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Weather you actually exist is another topic entirely (do you think?). The real question is; do you
> *believe* in your own existence?

Belief is a long windy technical trail of unknowns, best to just ride hard and set the mind free
instead ;)

Tauras http://www.kcbx.net/~tsulaiti/surfreport/

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

> andres muro wrote
>
> > ... Sheldon is god...
>
> Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
> exist...? ;-)
>
> Sheldon "At Least 'g' Wasn't Capitalized" Brown
> | The secrets of flight will not be mastered within our lifetimeŠ | Šnot within a thousand years
> | ­Wilbur Wright, 1901 |
snip

Wilbur Wright was a true bicycle mechanic!

Sheldon. I spoke to you. You had better exist.....:)