Sheldon

--------------030507020500040205010905 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

That's cause they're already dead - it doesn't matter to them.

Oh boy, here we go again.

MOO, Matt

Richard Ney wrote:

>andres muro writes:
>

>>............ pruned .....................
>>
>>I would vote to elevate Jobst to the status of god if he were willing to pose for a picture
>>leaning on a curve, like in the avocet publicity, wearing a helmet like sheldon's.
>>

>A true God shuns helmets.

--------------030507020500040205010905 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
That's cause they're already dead - it doesn't matter to them.<br> <br> Oh boy, here we go
cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">andres muro writes:

cite="[email protected]"> <blockquote type="cite"> <pre wrap=""> I would
vote to elevate Jobst to the status of god if he were willing to pose for a picture leaning on a
curve, like in the avocet publicity, wearing a helmet like sheldon's. </pre> </blockquote> <pre
wrap=""><!----> A true God shuns helmets.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:23:59 -0400, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>> ... Sheldon is god...

>Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
>exist...? ;-)

To wit cogito ergo sum.

Iguana "Voltaire" Bwana

Iguana Bwana wrote:

> To wit cogito ergo sum.
>
> Iguana "Voltaire" Bwana

Voltaire wrote the funniest book in history, but he didn't write that.

You're putting Descartes before de horse.

Sheldon "Cogito Cogito, Ergo Cogito Sum...Cogito" Brown +--------------------------------------+
| Without deviation from the norm, | progress is not possible | -- Frank Zappa |
+--------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

> andres muro wrote
>
> > ... Sheldon is god...
>
> Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
> exist...? ;-)

No, but you do make a noise when you fall in the forest. -- Jay "I should have taken the blue
pill" Beattie.

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 23:03:53 GMT, Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:

>Voltaire wrote the funniest book in history, but he didn't write that.
>
>You're putting Descartes before de horse.
>
>Sheldon "Cogito Cogito, Ergo Cogito Sum...Cogito" Brown

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur.

-------------------------------
http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
-------------------------------

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> You're putting Descartes before de horse.

HOW DESCARTES DIED:

He walked into a bar.

Bartender: "Would you like a drink?"

Descartes: "Oh, I think not."

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

ajames54T wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:13:04 -0400, "Richard Ney" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I hear you're an ABBA fan.
>>
> Oooh! Burned!
>
> (see I can take an insult with good grace...<grin>)

What insult?

--
Perre

> Sheldon "Cogito Cogito, Ergo Cogito Sum...Cogito" Brown

Ok, i get the cog and Ergo bit but what does the rest mean?

> Iguana Bwana wrote:
>
> > To wit cogito ergo sum.
> >
> > Iguana "Voltaire" Bwana
>
> Voltaire wrote the funniest book in history, but he didn't write that.
>
> You're putting Descartes before de horse.
>
> Sheldon "Cogito Cogito, Ergo Cogito Sum...Cogito" Brown +--------------------------------------+
> | Without deviation from the norm, | progress is not possible | -- Frank Zappa |
> +--------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
> 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
> http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

> > Sheldon "Cogito Cogito, Ergo Cogito Sum...Cogito" Brown
>
> Ok, i get the cog and Ergo bit but what does the rest mean?

In this case, it has nothing to do with bikes (though I guess it could <GGG>). It means "I think I
think, therefore I think I am ... I think"

it's morning".

Sheldon Brown wrote:
> andres muro wrote
>
>> ... Sheldon is god...
>
> Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
> exist...? ;-)

Don't worry. It just means you don't believe in yourself.

--
Perre

Hi:

Cogito does not relate to cassette cogs, but to cognition or thinking. Ergo does not relate to
shifting fast, it means therefore. Sum means "to be", in the first person. Descartes argued that
through cognition/thinking, he was aware that he was a being, even though he could not be sure of
anything else. That is were the famous phrase "i think therefore I am " came from. Descartes
continued to argue that the only way to know anything else beyond that he "was" is through god.
Since god is perfect, and therefore, he cannot lie, everything that we experience must be true.
Otherwise, it would not make any sense to spend a ton of $$$ in Ergo. The last thought is mine, not
Descartes.

Extrapolating form Descartes' thought, we know that the only way we can be sure of anything beyond
mere existence is through god. God is sheldon. the only way to be sure of things is through sheldon.
Either you believe in Sheldon, or in nothingness. jobst may start the reform.

Andres

Jeff Pitblado wrote:

> How can one be both an atheist and an agnostic?

By not believing in a god, and also not believing it is possible to prove one way or another he or
she or it exists. It's a matter of definition, though.

--
Benjamin Lewis

How you look depends on where you go.

How can one be both an atheist and an agnostic?

Jeff

> andres muro wrote
>
> > ... Sheldon is god...
>
> Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
> exist...? ;-)
>
> Sheldon "At Least 'g' Wasn't Capitalized" Brown
> | The secrets of flight will not be mastered within our lifetime… | …not within a thousand years
> | –Wilbur Wright, 1901 |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,
> Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts
> shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

My point was that atheists and agnostics have differing points of view. By definition
atheists firmly believe there is no god while agnostics just don't care either way
(theological fence sitters).

Jeff

"Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jeff Pitblado wrote:
>
> > How can one be both an atheist and an agnostic?
>
> By not believing in a god, and also not believing it is possible to prove one way or another he or
> she or it exists. It's a matter of definition, though.
>
> --
> Benjamin Lewis
>
> How you look depends on where you go.

What if he is deaf?

Jeff

"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Jay Beattie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > "Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Thanks, but, being an agnostic/atheist, it puts me in a quirky position...do I actually
> > > exist...? ;-)
> >
> > No, but you do make a noise when you fall in the forest.
>
> Only if he's there to hear himself.
>
> --
> Dave...

> "Benjamin Lewis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Jeff Pitblado wrote:
> >
> > > How can one be both an atheist and an agnostic?
> >
> > By not believing in a god, and also not believing it is possible to
prove
> > one way or another he or she or it exists. It's a matter of definition, though.
> >
> > --
> > Benjamin Lewis
> >
> > How you look depends on where you go.

"Jeff Pitblado" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My point was that atheists and agnostics have differing points of view. By definition atheists
> firmly believe there is no god while agnostics just don't care either way (theological fence
> sitters).

The term "agnostic" is often used to mean "weak atheist", someone who does not believe in a god.
This is opposed to a "strong atheist", who believes that there is not a god. An agnostic is
therefore a type of atheist when this definition is used. A detailed explanation is available at:

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/intro.html

--Josh