Sheldon's latest

"sinus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Have a look at Sheldon's latest fixie
>
> http://fixedgeargallery.com/2005/aug/sb.htm
>
> It would be strange to see a bike with left side drivetrain.
>
> New trend in fixies starting?

I don't quite get it.

1. Why bother with it? I mean, I don't want to suggest being all
conventional, but it requires a few extra changes/compromises to things like
crank fitting and pedal threads. No big deal but you don't really need the
hassle.

2. Doesn't flipping over a 3 speed hub result in the hub acting in the
reverse, forward drive now being a back-pedalling action? Or is it possible
to somehow reset the hub drive? Or is it a special left-handed hub that
Sheldon is using?

Questions, questions, so many questions.

Cheers
Peter

Peter Signorini wrote:
> "sinus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Have a look at Sheldon's latest fixie
>>
>>http://fixedgeargallery.com/2005/aug/sb.htm
>>
>>It would be strange to see a bike with left side drivetrain.
>>
>>New trend in fixies starting?

> I don't quite get it.
>
> 1. Why bother with it? I mean, I don't want to suggest being all
> conventional, but it requires a few extra changes/compromises to things like
> crank fitting and pedal threads. No big deal but you don't really need the
> hassle.
>
> 2. Doesn't flipping over a 3 speed hub result in the hub acting in the
> reverse, forward drive now being a back-pedalling action? Or is it possible
> to somehow reset the hub drive? Or is it a special left-handed hub that
> Sheldon is using?
>
> Questions, questions, so many questions.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

yes it's a stupid idea. But I expect Sheldon has a rather large parts
bin to raid, and given that he's already built countless bikes he's
probably looking a bit further outside the square than most :)

I don't like it personally, but I support his right to do pointless
things ;)

--
Nick

"Peter Signorini" stupidly wrote:

> 2. Doesn't flipping over a 3 speed hub result in the hub acting in the
> reverse, forward drive now being a back-pedalling action?

D'oh! (Kicks self)

Well yeah, FIXED gear - drives both directions. Showing my ignorance, but I
didn't realise you could run a 3-speed hub with a fixed drive. Interesting.

Cheers
Peter

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Peter Signorini" stupidly wrote:
>
>> 2. Doesn't flipping over a 3 speed hub result in the hub acting in the
>> reverse, forward drive now being a back-pedalling action?

> D'oh! (Kicks self)
>
> Well yeah, FIXED gear - drives both directions. Showing my ignorance, but
> I didn't realise you could run a 3-speed hub with a fixed drive.
> Interesting.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Most you can't. The SA fixed 3 speed is rarer than the proverbial
reciprocating equine droppings. Personally I want one and I'm honestly not
fussed on drive side *grin*

cfsmtb wrote:
> '03. There was also a SS with double drivetrain at Castlemaine. ie: you
> ain't seen everything..yet :D

Gags are you out there. Someone has stolen your idea!

DaveB

DaveB said:
cfsmtb wrote:
> '03. There was also a SS with double drivetrain at Castlemaine. ie: you
> ain't seen everything..yet :D

Gags are you out there. Someone has stolen your idea!

DaveB

I want a double sided fixed drive, very doable, completely unnecessary!!

Love to know how they did a SS, custom cog on the left?

PiledHigher

Peter Signorini wrote:
> "sinus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Have a look at Sheldon's latest fixie
>>
>>http://fixedgeargallery.com/2005/aug/sb.htm
>>
>>It would be strange to see a bike with left side drivetrain.
>>
>>New trend in fixies starting?

> I don't quite get it.
>
> 1. Why bother with it? I mean, I don't want to suggest being all
> conventional, but it requires a few extra changes/compromises to things like
> crank fitting and pedal threads. No big deal but you don't really need the
> hassle.

It's called wow factor. Something extra different. The pedal threads
problem is easily fixed with Loctite.

> 2. Doesn't flipping over a 3 speed hub result in the hub acting in the
> reverse, forward drive now being a back-pedalling action? Or is it possible
> to somehow reset the hub drive? Or is it a special left-handed hub that
> Sheldon is using?

It's a fixed gear 3-speed, there is no freewheel capability with the
hub, hence the reason for its use

--
BrettS

Resound said:
"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Peter Signorini" stupidly wrote:
>
>> 2. Doesn't flipping over a 3 speed hub result in the hub acting in the
>> reverse, forward drive now being a back-pedalling action?

> D'oh! (Kicks self)
>
> Well yeah, FIXED gear - drives both directions. Showing my ignorance, but
> I didn't realise you could run a 3-speed hub with a fixed drive.
> Interesting.
>
> Cheers
> Peter

Most you can't. The SA fixed 3 speed is rarer than the proverbial
reciprocating equine droppings. Personally I want one and I'm honestly not
fussed on drive side *grin*

I like Sheldon's bike, different, noice, unusual. :)

It's a rare hub indeed. There was one on ebay recently, not cheap though.

Left side drive can be done with a BMX dual drive hub. I didn't have tandem or BMX cranks for mine. I just reversed the set of Bullseye cranks I did have. Only 2 problems were using SPD pedal backwards & the pedals unscrewing themselves. Couldn't fix the first problem but loctite held the pedals in, for a few months anyway. :eek:

BrettS said:
Peter Signorini wrote:

> I don't quite get it.
>
> 1. Why bother with it? I mean, I don't want to suggest being all
> conventional, but it requires a few extra changes/compromises to things like
> crank fitting and pedal threads. No big deal but you don't really need the
> hassle.

It's called wow factor. Something extra different. The pedal threads
problem is easily fixed with Loctite.

The cranks are for a tandem. I assume that means the pilot has a left sided crank and chain and the stoker a two-sided crank and a right side chain?

What is it with BioPace chainrings. Sheldon obviously loves them. On the positive side, they would be real easy to buy replacement chainrings for, no-one else wants em. Even I have a few in the garage...

PiledHigher wrote:
> DaveB Wrote:
>
>>cfsmtb wrote:
>>
>>>'03. There was also a SS with double drivetrain at Castlemaine. ie:

>>you
>>
>>>ain't seen everything..yet :D
>>>

>>Gags are you out there. Someone has stolen your idea!
>>
>>DaveB

> I want a double sided drive, very doable, completely unnecessary!!

as sheldon brown says, nothing exceeds like excess.
now as anyone in a IT support role should know, there is absolutely nother wrong with redundancy ;)

cheers,

Kim

Kim Hawtin said:
as sheldon brown says, nothing exceeds like excess.
now as anyone in a IT support role should know, there is absolutely nother wrong with redundancy ;)

cheers,

Kim

There is a twin cog freewheel so that two chains could be run next to each other. Almost makes me want to find a machinest to build a double double sided hub. Screw to cogs on each side of the hub and use two parallel chains each side of the bike!

That's at least a Kg of chain!

PiledHigher

sinus wrote:

> BrettS Wrote:
>
>>Peter Signorini wrote:
>>
>>>I don't quite get it.
>>>
>>>1. Why bother with it? I mean, I don't want to suggest being all
>>>conventional, but it requires a few extra changes/compromises to

>>things like
>>
>>>crank fitting and pedal threads. No big deal but you don't really

>>need the
>>
>>>hassle.

>>It's called wow factor. Something extra different. The pedal threads
>>problem is easily fixed with Loctite.
>>

> The cranks are for a tandem. I assume that means the pilot has a left
> sided crank and chain and the stoker a two-sided crank and a right side
> chain?
>
> What is it with BioPace chainrings. Sheldon obviously loves them. On
> the positive side, they would be real easy to buy replacement
> chainrings for, no-one else wants em. Even I have a few in the
> garage...

The thing is they do work for some (few) people. Most of us think the
theory is ********.. but for some people... And it doesnt matter why
they work it may be that it sorts out a rythym problem with some peoples
peddling. Or it may be entirely in the mind. But if it works :)

"Bikesoiler" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Resound Wrote:
>> "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> the
>> >
>> > D'oh! (Kicks self)
>> >
>> > Well yeah, FIXED gear - drives both directions. Showing my ignorance,

>> but
>> > I didn't realise you could run a 3-speed hub with a fixed drive.
>> > Interesting.
>> >
>> > Cheers
>> > Peter
>> >

>> Most you can't. The SA fixed 3 speed is rarer than the proverbial
>> reciprocating equine droppings. Personally I want one and I'm honestly
>> not
>> fussed on drive side *grin*

> I like Sheldon's bike, different, noice, unusual. :)
>
> It's a rare hub indeed. 'There was one on ebay recently, not cheap
> though.' (http://tinyurl.com/c99tv)
>
> Left side drive can be done with a BMX dual drive hub. I didn't have
> tandem or BMX cranks for mine. I just reversed the set of Bullseye
> cranks I did have. Only 2 problems were using SPD pedal backwards & the
> pedals unscrewing themselves. Couldn't fix the first problem but loctite
> held the pedals in, for a few months anyway. :eek:
>

> --
> Bikesoiler

Gah...US$400+! I did see a two speed BB somewhere...someone had mated it
with a current geared hub of some variety for a fairly ridiculous gear
range.

sinus wrote:
> Have a look at Sheldon's latest fixie
>
> http://fixedgeargallery.com/2005/aug/sb.htm
>
> It would be strange to see a bike with left side drivetrain.

Gee, I thought this would be normal in the Southern Hemisphere...

Sheldon "Antipodes" Brown
Newtonville, Massachusetts You Ess Ay
| If you haven't yet discovered the novels |
| of Neal Stephenson, don't wait! |
| Start with Snow Crash or Quicksilver |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message ...

> sinus wrote:
> > It would be strange to see a bike with left side drivetrain.

> Gee, I thought this would be normal in the Southern Hemisphere...

Yes that's right, but your's is installed upside down to what we're used to.

Parbs